TJ tranny locked up... again! Help!

Old August 9th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
JimG

Default TJ tranny locked up... again! Help!

The tranny has locked up again in neutral... this time it ain't comin' out.
Any words of wisdom before I yank it out?
happened once before several months ago... but I jiggled, pounded, etc. and
it started working again. Stick shift goes left to right but wont go in any
gear.... engine off/on, clutch in/out, rock back and forth... all that
stuff. NV3550 my ars!#@*#
JimG
80' CJ-7 258 CID, HEI
4.56 Gears, Lock-Right F&R
35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines
D44 Rear, D30 Front. SOA
Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks
Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries

00' TJ Sport 4.0L, 5sp
4.56 Gears, TrueTrac rear
33" BFG AT on 15x8 Eagle Alloys
D35 Rear, D30 Front. 3" Suspension Lift
Warn X8000i

Old August 9th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

Pull one bolt from the bellhousing, take it to the hardware store. Get 4
just like it, but 5 or so inches longer. When you get home, cut the heads
off and taper the ends. Install the 4 rods you made when you take out the 4
lower bellhousing bolts. This will allow the trans to slide back free of the
pilot bearing upon removal, and will make alignment for re-install VERY
easy.

HTH

Carl

Old August 9th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
JimG

Cool idea... Thanks! But I was hoping you would say something like... "turn
hat to left side, stick tongue out to right side, close one eye and pull
shifter back while standing on left foot only".

Old August 9th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
philthy

add flat bladed cuts the the bolts after cutting heads so u can use a screw
driver to remove the studs u made

Old August 9th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

Sorry, not much good at voodoo (see my other post). Hope the idea helps.. I
got it on here from (I THINK) Mike R.

Carl

Old August 9th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

It is the right foot and you have to curl your tongue and rotate it counter
clockwise while humming 'The Motorcycle Song' backwards in Polish.

Old August 9th 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

I would be opening the top inside transmission tunnel's plate off and be
checking the shifter tower's top plate for loose bolts....

It sounds to me like the shifter has popped out of it's hole inside the
tower.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old August 9th 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
JimG

Mike,

I have taken the shift tower off and can't see any problem. The NV3550 has
only a socket and one shift rod... all that seems to be OK. The only thing
I can figure is the forks have come loose from the rod (which I can't see
without taking the tranny apart).

Jim

Old August 9th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Ouch!

Good luck.

Mike

Old August 9th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kate[_3_]

"JimG" > wrote in message
> Cool idea... Thanks! But I was hoping you would say something like...
> "turn hat to left side, stick tongue out to right side, close one eye and
> pull shifter back while standing on left foot only".

ROFLMAO!!!!
Sorry... but that IS funny :-D

Kate