Distributor O-ring

Old July 18th 06, 05:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

Default Distributor O-ring

To All:

The neck of the VW distributor is fitted with an O-ring. It fits in a
groove about two-tenths of an inch wide located about three-quarters of
an inch up from the bottom of the neck. A new O-ring usta be included
in every overhaul gasket set but it could also be purchased
individually, back in the days when.... whatever.

So why mention something that's found on every VW distributor?

Based on comments received in response to my post about the
distributor's need for lubrication, it appears that some folks are
running distributors that are missing their O-ring and they've confused
its groove with an oil channel. (One guy swore he'd NEVER seen a
distributor fitted with an O-ring... about three breaths after telling
me what a great mechanic he was, how many engines he's built, etc. and
so forth.)

Oiling groove goes up & down. O-ring groove groove goes roundy-round.

-Bob Hoover

PS -- You can't use just any O-ring. The O-ring for the VW distributor
has an oval cross-section. And before you decide you can do without
it, since you have been... like that 'unnecessary' thermostat or the
air-dams that vanished from the underside of your heads nine overhauls
ago, keep in mind that the distributor's O-ring not only serves to keep
the oil in, it keeps contaminants out. -- rsh

Old July 19th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Lyle Beaulac

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> So why mention something that's found on every VW distributor?
>
> Based on comments received in response to my post about the
> distributor's need for lubrication, it appears that some folks are
> running distributors that are missing their O-ring and they've confused
> its groove with an oil channel. (One guy swore he'd NEVER seen a
> distributor fitted with an O-ring... about three breaths after telling
> me what a great mechanic he was, how many engines he's built, etc. and
> so forth.)

Could be he's only ever seen distributors which have been in the engine for
so long that the O-ring has been crudded up with sufficient crap that the
shaft looks continuous. Or maybe he wouldn't know the difference between an
O-ring and a sphincter ring....

As long as we're on the topic of distributor lubrication, this might be a
good time to mention the felt plug which hides under the rotor in the
distributor shaft. It's supposed to get the occasional drop of oil to keep
the centrifugal advance mechanism happy, IIRC. If that many people are
running without O-rings, then odds are there are as many running without the
felt plug.

Old July 19th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> To All:
>
> PS -- You can't use just any O-ring. The O-ring for the VW distributor
> has an oval cross-section. And before you decide you can do without
> it, since you have been... like that 'unnecessary' thermostat or the
> air-dams that vanished from the underside of your heads nine overhauls
> ago, keep in mind that the distributor's O-ring not only serves to keep
> the oil in, it keeps contaminants out. -- rsh

have seen *many* vw's that didn't have the o-ring on the distributor
shaft....usually the basketcases i seem to attract.... have also been told
they are not necessary by those that know better.....(so they think).... for
all the mechanics that don't know they do still come in the rebuild gasket
kits and they are necessary as Mr. Hoover points out.....if you don't have
one and can't spare the 10 bucks for a gasket set, they are available for a
dollar at aircooled.net.... if your distributor slips out real easily and
does have the o-ring installed, its in need of replacement...should be a
good seal to the case...

http://aircooled.net/new-bin/viewpro... 200658818680

Old July 19th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Lyle Beaulac" > wrote in message

> As long as we're on the topic of distributor lubrication, this might be a
> good time to mention the felt plug which hides under the rotor in the
> distributor shaft. It's supposed to get the occasional drop of oil to keep
> the centrifugal advance mechanism happy, IIRC. If that many people are
> running without O-rings, then odds are there are as many running without
> the felt plug.

and most don't use lube on the distributor shaft where the points ride on
the lobes either...and can't figure out why their points keep closing
up.....

Old July 19th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

> have seen *many* vw's that didn't have the o-ring on the distributor
> shaft....usually the basketcases i seem to attract.... have also been told
> they are not necessary by those that know better.....(so they think).... for
> all the mechanics that don't know they do still come in the rebuild gasket
> kits and they are necessary as Mr. Hoover points out.....if you don't have
> one and can't spare the 10 bucks for a gasket set, they are available for a
> dollar at aircooled.net.... if your distributor slips out real easily and
> does have the o-ring installed, its in need of replacement...should be a
> good seal to the case...
>
> http://aircooled.net/new-bin/viewpro... 200658818680

The Bughaus has them for 50 cents. Just an FYI.

http://www.bughaus.com/beetle63.htm

Chris