Inprecise Steering Under Braking

Old August 22nd 04, 10:40 PM
tommycockles

Default Inprecise Steering Under Braking

All,
I don't think I'm imagining it, but my 2.0 selespeed - manufactured 09/01
(registered 03/03), 19K, miles has started to feel sloppy under braking, and
a bit sloppy when cornering. Now, this may be something to do with me
getting used to it, but it also seems to be easier to get to the limit of
traction when cornering. (Tyres squealing more often than they used to).
Is this me, or a symptom of some standard problem that they all suffer from?
TIA
Chris

Old August 22nd 04, 10:46 PM
tommycockles

Sorry guys, i meant imprecise. (n too near to m, and too much asda claret)

Old August 23rd 04, 10:15 AM
David C

"tommycockles" > wrote in message
> All,
> I don't think I'm imagining it, but my 2.0 selespeed - manufactured 09/01
> (registered 03/03), 19K, miles has started to feel sloppy under braking,
> and
> a bit sloppy when cornering. Now, this may be something to do with me
> getting used to it, but it also seems to be easier to get to the limit of
> traction when cornering. (Tyres squealing more often than they used to).
> Is this me, or a symptom of some standard problem that they all suffer
> from?
> TIA
> Chris

Hi Chris,
it is probably the usual problem of the front wishbone bushes/balljoints
failing or possibly weak dampers.
Best price for new wishbones is probably from EB Spares:
http://www.ebspares.co.uk .
They also do a superb set of uprated dampers.
Rear suspension linkage bushes also fail and give a feeling of instability,
new uprated Powerflex bushes are also available via EB Spares.
--
David C
156 Selespeed sp3 + Brembo conversion

Old August 23rd 04, 05:18 PM
Ex Alfa Adam

> They also do a superb set of uprated dampers.

Or go for a set of yellow Koni shocks.

> Rear suspension linkage bushes also fail and give a feeling of

instability,
> new uprated Powerflex bushes are also available via EB Spares.

Can recommend the powerflex bushes - you'll notice the difference!

Adam h

Old August 23rd 04, 07:52 PM
Alfistagj

My tyres wear; don't yours??
Tyre pressure??
Alignment?? (Alfa's love alignment checks every 12000 miles or so)
And, the rubber in the whic=shbones are a typical 156 wear item; when worn,
you will hear a clacking sound when the whishbones move.
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

"tommycockles" > schreef in bericht