More pond advice please!

Old January 8th 06, 12:48 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default More pond advice please!

Hello all,

Thanks for the help with my recent posts. I am new to some aspects of
'ponding' and I have now got a question regarding filtration.

My pond is quite small (250 gallons) but it would be nice to have
reasonably clear water to see the goldfish, specially in the warmer
months when I'm outside a lot of the time.

A friend had donated an OASE Aquadex M6 pump but no UV or other
filtration box and wondered what any of you might reccommend for my
size of pond. Are Hozelock Bioforce any good for example?

With this in mind can you also reccommend the best way to deter herons
too as there is one that visits occasionally!

Many thanks,

John.

Old January 9th 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.ponds

"JRB" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,

Thanks for the help with my recent posts. I am new to some aspects of
'ponding' and I have now got a question regarding filtration.

My pond is quite small (250 gallons) but it would be nice to have
reasonably clear water to see the goldfish, specially in the warmer
months when I'm outside a lot of the time.

A friend had donated an OASE Aquadex M6 pump but no UV or other
filtration box and wondered what any of you might reccommend for my
size of pond. Are Hozelock Bioforce any good for example?

With this in mind can you also reccommend the best way to deter herons
too as there is one that visits occasionally!

=======================
I wont recommend a filter to clear the pond because I depend on plants to
help shade the water and starve out the algae. My ponds, even the small 150
gallon ponds stay clear most of the time with just regular foam and screen
filtering.

As for herons. Someone will soon be along to tell you about the $80 water
sprayer. This may work for herons but where there are herons there are
usually fish eating bullfrogs, water snakes and perhaps even snapping
turtles. The sprayer is useless against these predators, including the fish
eating Kingfisher bird. We netted our ponds with fine black bird netting.
Now we don't lose any fish at all.
--

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old January 9th 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.ponds

Thanks for the help with my recent posts. I am new to some aspects of
'ponding' and I have now got a question regarding filtration.

My pond is quite small (250 gallons) but it would be nice to have
reasonably clear water to see the goldfish, specially in the warmer
months when I'm outside a lot of the time.

A friend had donated an OASE Aquadex M6 pump but no UV or other
filtration box and wondered what any of you might reccommend for my
size of pond. Are Hozelock Bioforce any good for example?

With this in mind can you also reccommend the best way to deter herons
too as there is one that visits occasionally!
John.

Hi John,

At my website www.jjspond.us click on *My Filter* and scroll to the bottom.
There are 3 fake-flower-pot filters that work great for your size pond and
get the filter out-of-the-pond. To protect the pump, clam shell it similar
to this http://users.owt.com/jjspond/koipond/photos/set1/09.jpg in black
mesh baskets (no other media). ~ jan

----------------
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old January 10th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.ponds

Koi-lo wrote:

=======================
I wont recommend a filter to clear the pond because I depend on plants to
help shade the water and starve out the algae. My ponds, even the small 150
gallon ponds stay clear most of the time with just regular foam and screen
filtering.

In other words she doesn't know, but she was because of her attention
Whoredom dieases she felt compelled to reply regardless.

Rec.ponds FAQ Snooze General 7 April 11th 05 07:04 AM
Advice sought from Pond People Strawberry General (alternative) 4 April 3rd 04 01:32 AM
New To Ponds, Would Appreciate Some Advice WDiamond General 16 March 31st 04 01:39 AM
The 'Aquascape System' has the be the WORST pond system outthere Glenn General 11 November 17th 03 10:58 PM
Swimming Pond advice -keevill- General 6 September 2nd 03 02:47 PM