OBD2 Scanners - Recommendations Wanted

Old January 13th 05, 04:59 PM
EasyEd

Default OBD2 Scanners - Recommendations Wanted

Hey All,

First I'm not a mechanic. I can do filter changes, fluid changes (oil,
coolant), brakes - you know basic stuff like that. At one time I could
even rebuild a 3 speed nonsynchro 1st gear 65 Mustang trani (never
shoulda sold that car) and tune the twin carbs on my 63 Corvair
(totalled) but those were probably the pinnacles of my automotive
knowledge. We now drive an 01 Nissan Xterra and a 90 Dodge Cummins 3/4
ton 5sp 4x4 (I wish I knew something about working on diesels) and have
an old rusting 84 Honda Accord (241k miles and still IMO the most
dependable car we own - just looks bad) around for when something else
isn't running.

Anyway I'm thinking of buying somekind of OBD2 scanner for the Xterra.
I don't like paying to clear relatively unimportant service engine soon
- light on - codes. As an example - the other day at a store the engine
didn't shut down right (never locked the steering and I'm not sure what
else (10 below zero F) so the light came on. After that it ran fine and
but the SES light was on. Simply IMO a meaningless nuisance code and of
course it cost $ to diagnose as meaningless and clear.

Anyway I'm looking for recomendations on OBD2 scanners - their pluses
and minuses. I've seem em from about $90 to over $200. I'm looking for
value for the dollar. So the cheapest may not be adequate but OTOH the
most expensive is likely overkill as I'm an occasional "shade tree"
mechanic. All opinions welcome!

Thanks an Take Care! -Ed-

PS - The older I get the more I long for the days when a guy could work
on a car on a warm summer night and actually achieve some real
performance not just making a car "prettier".

Old January 13th 05, 08:47 PM
Lawrence Glickman

On 13 Jan 2005 08:59:20 -0800, "EasyEd" >
wrote:

>Hey All,
>
>First I'm not a mechanic. I can do filter changes, fluid changes (oil,
>coolant), brakes - you know basic stuff like that. At one time I could
>even rebuild a 3 speed nonsynchro 1st gear 65 Mustang trani (never
>shoulda sold that car) and tune the twin carbs on my 63 Corvair
>(totalled) but those were probably the pinnacles of my automotive
>knowledge. We now drive an 01 Nissan Xterra and a 90 Dodge Cummins 3/4
>ton 5sp 4x4 (I wish I knew something about working on diesels) and have
>an old rusting 84 Honda Accord (241k miles and still IMO the most
>dependable car we own - just looks bad) around for when something else
>isn't running.
>
>Anyway I'm thinking of buying somekind of OBD2 scanner for the Xterra.

Hi Ed,

Depends on how far you want to go with this. The more expensive the
scanner the more you can do with it. If you just want a [code
reader], those are relatively cheap and you can get them at any auto
parts store. A [scanner] OTOH will look at individual parameters, not
just pull codes and reset the MIL. How many parameters? The more you
pay, the more capable your hardware and software.

I have an Actron 9135, Actron 9145, and a Davis Carchip x/l.
The first item is a code reader. And it has I/M monitoring, which is
inspection and maintenance mode. The 9145 actually looks at specific
individual components and gives you feedback from what the car
computer sees. The Davis Carchip is a datalogger and pretty much does
what the 9145 does but is plugged in all the time to the OBDII port to
record different parameters under dynamic conditions ( while you drive
).

The Davis Carchip might be your best buy. It is available at Sears in
the tool department, automotive section. Be sure to get the "x/l"
model, as it does -way- more than the basic model. Expect to pay $150
+ tax for it. It will also reset your MIL if you want it to, and you
download it's stored readings through your serial port into the
Carchip program that comes in the package. Pretty slick IMO. Good
bang for the buck.

BTW, if you want the Actron 9135 I have, I'll ship it to you for a
fair price. It is in new condition, only used a couple times. Let me
know what they are going for on e-bay if you're interested, but I
think your best buy is the Davis Carchip.

Lg
e-mail addy is good

Old January 13th 05, 11:32 PM
Woody

I use this one http://www.obd-2.com/#home It runs on a laptop though. You
can download the software to look at. It has sample data. The nice thing is
you can save scans on the computer while driving and analyze later.

oups.com...

Old January 14th 05, 01:03 AM
Me

On 13 Jan 2005 08:59:20 -0800, "EasyEd" >
wrote:

<snip>

>Anyway I'm thinking of buying somekind of OBD2 scanner for the Xterra.
>I don't like paying to clear relatively unimportant service engine soon
>- light on - codes. As an example - the other day at a store the engine
>didn't shut down right (never locked the steering and I'm not sure what
>else (10 below zero F) so the light came on. After that it ran fine and
>but the SES light was on. Simply IMO a meaningless nuisance code and of
>course it cost $ to diagnose as meaningless and clear.

There are no meaningless codes.

>Anyway I'm looking for recomendations on OBD2 scanners - their pluses
>and minuses. I've seem em from about $90 to over $200. I'm looking for
>value for the dollar. So the cheapest may not be adequate but OTOH the
>most expensive is likely overkill as I'm an occasional "shade tree"
>mechanic. All opinions welcome!

This is a good start:

=46ind them with google.

Trucking

McCarney Technologies=20

PC Based

Guentchev.com=20
OBDII Automotive Diagnostics Homepage=20
ScanTool.net - inexpensive OBD-II scan tools=20
Muliplex Systems, Diagnostic Tools, Monitors and Amplifiers, CAN
Controller Area Network Tools,=20
Advanced Vehicle Technologies, Inc.=20
Dearborn Group, Inc. - VSI-VLT=20
ELM Electronics=20
AutoEnginuity - OBD II Scan Tool - Unleash the diagnostics power
built into your vehicle=20

Palm Based

Generic OBDII Scan Tool for your Palm compatible PDA=20
Auterra OBD II Scan Tool for Palm Home Page=20
Auterra OBD II Scan Tool and Dyno Home Page=20

Handhelds

Actron Manufacturing=20
Autocheckup Xray=20
Ferret Instruments Automotive Service Test Equipment=20
GenRad - The Technology of Knowledge=20
Hickok Incorporated - Supplying Technical and Engineering
Capabilities Worldwide=20
Snap-on Diagnostics=20
Vetronix Corporation=20
Blue Streak Electronics - Home of the BDM Diagnostic Monitor=20
X431-HOME=20

Import

----- CARSOFT International ---------------=20
Autodiagnos - Diagnostics for Peak Performance=20
Baum Tools Home Page=20
Nextech=20
Automotive Electronics Services Home Page - AES=20
Diagnostic Dialog DTC Lookup=20
BAT Auto Technical Scan Tool info=20
Delphi-Integrated Service Solutions=20
AutoTap OBD-II Diagnostic Scanner Product Information=20
EASE Diagnostics, an award-winning simulation and software
design-engineering firm creating adv=20
INTERRO SYSTEMS INC.=20
Old January 15th 05, 04:36 PM
EasyEd

Hey All,

Thank You for the replies. I see I've a fair bit to look through. I
hadn't thought about logging performance data but like the idea.
Thanks Again! an Take Care! -Ed-

Old January 15th 05, 06:02 PM
Lawrence Glickman

On 15 Jan 2005 08:36:00 -0800, "EasyEd" >
wrote:

>Hey All,
>
>Thank You for the replies. I see I've a fair bit to look through. I
>hadn't thought about logging performance data but like the idea.
>Thanks Again! an Take Care! -Ed-

Good Luck with your purchase whatever it is.
I -really- like the logging bit because it can catch stuff that only
happens on the highway.

The reason I didn't go with Auto-Tap or such is because I don't have a
portable computer, otherwise I might have chosen Auto-Tap. But if you
do get the Davis Carchip, I would say you did good.

Lg

Old January 20th 05, 02:59 PM
Richard

I bought one of these (www.scantool.net) from DigiMoto off of eBay. It was
about $80. It connects to my notebook.
Considering that the nearest shop to my home want $70 just to find out the
error #, and Precision Tune wants $54, I thought it was a deal. This gives
good numbers and readings on all of the sensors, etc.
There are a few different software apps for the scantool that give a lot of
information. Most is free, a couple have a price tag. As time goes by, the
software will likely become more advanced.
A pretty good investment, I think.

Richard

oups.com...

bmw obd2 compatability Jon BMW 1 November 7th 04 01:05 AM
Recommendations for very small nible 4x4 chase vehicle... Mesquito Creek 4x4 28 July 21st 04 05:30 PM
Recommendations: UK insurers John Gallagher Alfa Romeo 14 June 30th 04 03:40 PM