TJ Pitman Arm Leak

Old May 26th 05, 05:22 PM
Dave

Default TJ Pitman Arm Leak

While my TJ is up on jackstands waiting for a reverse gear to arrive...

I saw the other power-steering post, and it reminded me of my own leak.

I've got a slow leak (1.5" diameter mark on the floor overnight) that
appears to be coming from the steering box where the pitman arm
connects. After a google-groups search, it looks like a lot of
steering-box seals were bad in the early years of the TJ.

My question is, am I looking at a complete rebuild? Is there a seal
that is common to this problem that is easily replacable?

Thanks in advance..

Old May 26th 05, 06:00 PM
Mike Romain

It is 'usually' the seal under the adjuster plug where the steering
column goes in that leaks from what I have heard and seen. That will
run down and drip so you should see if it is wet above the pitman seal.

If it is this seal, you can get the old style adjuster plug if you are
lucky at steering rebuilder shops and use that. It is a Saganaw box
that the GM's also use so parts are easy to find. The old style one is
a one piece adjuster plug and apparently takes years before it will leak
according to the shop I was at.

Makes sense, my 86 seal is only weeping about 1/4 cup a season or every
half year after all this time.

The seals are not hard to put in and I always recommend a new bearing or
bushing to go with it seeing as the bearing must have enough slop to
mess up the seal....

Getting the pitman arm off can be a real SOB, so if it isn't that
leaking, I leave them alone and just do the adjuster seal. That can be
done by just dropping the box and only unhooking the steering column.

You can get the individual parts or just buy a kit with everything.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 26th 05, 10:19 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Dave,
Seal kit:
http://www.rubicon4x4.com/catalog/po...3-p-10169.html
Pitman puller will look like this being used to remove the tie rod:
http://www.billhughes.com/pitmanTool.jpg You might tell the parts store
that'll let you rent it for free to give you the one made in American to
save you a trip and his China crap.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old May 27th 05, 05:12 AM
Dave

Thanks for the link(s) Bill.. My only issue is that this seal-kit
doesn't seem to include the bearing/bushing that Mike mentioned. It
makes sense that something is worn out to make the seal leak?

I'll do more looking around tomorrow when I'm not sleep-typing....

Old May 27th 05, 06:21 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Wrap your fingers around the shaft, and box, and turn the steering
wheel shaft back and forth and you will be able to feel any looseness,
telling you need the bearing, too or just go ahead and exchange the box
for a rebuilt.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Dave wrote:

> Thanks for the link(s) Bill.. My only issue is that this seal-kit
> doesn't seem to include the bearing/bushing that Mike mentioned. It
> makes sense that something is worn out to make the seal leak?
>
> I'll do more looking around tomorrow when I'm not sleep-typing....

92 Golf heater core (A/C) leak Rob Wilson VW water cooled 6 March 27th 05 05:02 AM
Jeep Cherokee Coolant Leak Ankors Chrysler 1 January 23rd 05 07:01 PM
4.0 Head Gasket Oil Leak DougW Jeep 8 December 23rd 04 02:42 AM
96 Chevy Pickup Intake Leak? bob Technology 2 December 13th 04 02:57 PM