Chrysler to produce Dodge Challenger muscle car

Old July 23rd 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MoPar Man

Default Chrysler to produce Dodge Challenger muscle car

Wow. Is this news group getting stale or what?

This was announced 3 weeks ago, and not a peep about it here.

I'd like to see more chrome trim around the wheel wells. I'd really
like to see an old-fashioned chrome bumper in the front too.

---------

See also:

http://www.autospies.com/article/ind...&categoryId=21
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/aut...-4164551c.html
http://www.whatcar.com/news-article.aspx?NA=221177
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...i-business-hed
http://cars.about.com/b/a/216812.htm
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/9/...ectID=10390794

---------

Eberhardt says MPVs and pick-ups are also being considered for Europe,
although the enormous Dodge Ram is almost completely ruled out.

So, too, is the Dodge Challenger muscle car, which will go on sale in
the US in 2008. While it will be built on a platform already approved
for use in Europe, Eberhardt said it would require too much expensive
reworking at the front end to meet our pedestrian impact regulations.

(Hmmm. Maybe now we know why Magnums are sold with the front-ends
from the 300 in Europe?)

---------

Chevrolet is supposedly putting the Camaro back into production in
2008 but will call it an '09 -- perhaps Chrysler wants to steal their
thunder.

---------
http://today.reuters.com/stocks/Quot...CHALLENGER.XML

Chrysler to produce Dodge Challenger muscle car
Sat Jul 1, 2006 2:14pm ET
Chrysler Group on Saturday said it will resume production of the Dodge
Challenger in 2008 after more than three decades as it takes aim at
nostalgia for the U.S. muscle car era.

The Challenger would join the Dodge Charger in the brewing stable of
modern U.S. muscle cars such as Ford Motor Co.'s redesigned iconic
Mustang -- homages to 1960s and 1970s designs built on up-to-date
platforms.

"It's a modern take on one of the most iconic muscle cars," Chrysler
Group President and Chief Executive Tom LaSorda said.

Muscle cars, typically two-doored with massive eight-cylinder engines,
bring back memories of a U.S. era of cheap gas, drive-in theaters and
cruising main street.

However, the Challenger comes along when $3 per gallon gasoline has
the broad market increasingly looking for less thirsty compact cars.

Chrysler did not say how many of the cars it expected to build per
year or the targeted retail price. Dodge sold about 188,600
Challengers in its original run and the new car will be produced for
the 2008 model year in 2008, Chrysler said.

Chrysler aimed directly at its potential target customers, announcing
its decision to produce the Challenger at Daytona International
Speedway in Florida, where the Pepsi 400 NASCAR race was to start
later.

The DaimlerChrysler AG unit unveiled a Challenger concept car at the
auto show in Detroit in January, featuring a long hood, short deck,
wide stance and two-door coupe body style reminiscent of the car's run
in the 1970 to 1974 model years.

"Chrysler Group production vehicles tend to bear a striking
resemblance to the concept cars they follow," Chief Operating Officer
Eric Ridenour said. "It's not just a re-creation, it is a
reinterpretation and a tasty one at that."

The car had a 425-horsepower Hemi engine, six-speed manual
transmission and a listed top speed of 174 miles per hour.

General Motors Corp. also is thought to be likely to bring back its
Chevrolet Camaro after a prototype inspired by the 1969 version of the
legendary muscle car received a very warm reception at the auto show
in Detroit as well.

The new Camaro would be priced at about the same level as the Ford
Mustang, which has suggested retail prices from about $19,100 to
$26,000, and produced in similar volume.
Old July 30th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
philthy

i would like to see it called what it started out as. a cuda then they remembered they did away with the Plymouth name. i seen mock up pics in 2001 the
guy who had them was shocked i knew what he was up too in the tech center being a visitor and all