300C vs Monaro vs Jag S

Old October 27th 04, 07:04 PM
Steve

James C. Reeves wrote:

> "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" > wrote in message
> et...
> | "Dori A Schmetterling" > wrote in message
> | > Correct, the Holden/Vauxhall is the Pontiac GTO, though I don't know how
> | > many changes are made in the tramsition, other than the location of the
> | > steering wheel. Probably only few.
> | >
> | > All General Motors, innit?
> | >
> | > DAS
> |
> | The styling of the GTO doesn't strike anything in me. Haven't seen very
> | many on the road but perhaps the styling will grow on me. As for the 300C I
> | wonder what it was about the ride that the reviewers didn't like. I like
> | the ride of mine and with 9,000 miles on the odometer there are no squeeks
> | or anthing of the sort in the interior. This is one solid well-built car.
> |

> The Pontiac GTO, the last I checked, is selling worse than their Pontiac Aztec
> model.

Yep, GM completely blew it on the GTO. Its barely distinguishable from a
Grand Prix. Great mechanically and performance-wise, but the GTO name
needs style to go with it or its nothing.

Old October 28th 04, 02:22 PM

Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:

> "Dori A Schmetterling" > wrote in message
> > Wallows, rides like a "boat". Also inability to turn off electric aids

> for
> > testing performance limits (which, I think, won't bother most 'ordinary'
> > drivers).
> >
> > I was looking for a writeup on the website
> > http://www.topgear.com/content/misc/TV/
> > but I expect it's too recent. Maybe they don't give detailed TV programme
> > notes, concentrating on the printed magazine.
> >
> > Clicking on a 300C review failed to bring up a useful page.
> >
> > But there are some nice pics:
> > http://www.topgear.com/content/fun_s...F6/XX/gallery/
> >

> > DAS

> It sure doesn't "ride like a boat".

It probably does "ride like a boat" compared to the Monaro and Jaguar.
The last time I was in the UK (it's been a few years, but I doubt much
has changed) the roads in the countryside were very well maintained and
smooth, but often twisty, and fun. On the other hand, many parts of the
U.S. have pot holes, rough expansion joints, etc. but go mostly in
straight lines. Therefore, the 300 suspension may be "better tuned" for
North American roads, but compared to most European cars, it probably
"rides like a boat." The solution, of course, is to build 300's with
somewhat stiffer suspension for the European market. To my knowledge,
there are no plans to build right hand drive 300's, so they sell only a
handful in the UK, no matter how well the suspension works. Someone
please post if I am wrong and they ARE building right hand drive 300's.
Old October 28th 04, 02:22 PM

Old October 28th 04, 06:42 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:22:29 -0400, kokomoNOSPAMkid wrote:

> Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:
>>
>> "Dori A Schmetterling" > wrote in message
>> > Wallows, rides like a "boat". Also inability to turn off electric aids

>> for
>> > testing performance limits (which, I think, won't bother most 'ordinary'
>> > drivers).
>> >
>> > I was looking for a writeup on the website
>> > http://www.topgear.com/content/misc/TV/
>> > but I expect it's too recent. Maybe they don't give detailed TV programme
>> > notes, concentrating on the printed magazine.
>> >
>> > Clicking on a 300C review failed to bring up a useful page.
>> >
>> > But there are some nice pics:
>> > http://www.topgear.com/content/fun_s...F6/XX/gallery/
>> >

>> > DAS

>> It sure doesn't "ride like a boat".

> It probably does "ride like a boat" compared to the Monaro and Jaguar.
> The last time I was in the UK (it's been a few years, but I doubt much
> has changed) the roads in the countryside were very well maintained and
> smooth, but often twisty, and fun. On the other hand, many parts of the
> U.S. have pot holes, rough expansion joints, etc. but go mostly in
> straight lines. Therefore, the 300 suspension may be "better tuned" for
> North American roads, but compared to most European cars, it probably
> "rides like a boat." The solution, of course, is to build 300's with
> somewhat stiffer suspension for the European market. To my knowledge,
> there are no plans to build right hand drive 300's, so they sell only a
> handful in the UK, no matter how well the suspension works. Someone
> please post if I am wrong and they ARE building right hand drive 300's.

For all it's faults, terrible visability and general uglyness, the 300
does not ride like a boat. Quite the contrary it has extrodinary handling.
The 300C is a Mercedes E Class with a huge Chrysler engine and heavier
components. When I test drove the 300 and the 300C they stuck to the road
like glue. I test drove a BMW and the Acura TL on the same day and neither
could compare, the 300C was in a completely different class. I only wish
that Chrysler would offer a more attractive body style with properly sized
windows and call it an Imperial or New Yorker or something. I'd love to
have a car that drove like a 300 but also had a rear window that was large
enough that you could parallel park it. BTW I previously compared the
300's visabilty to a submarine, that's unfair to the new Virginia class
attack subs that have just been launched. The Virginia class subs have
done away with the periscope and replaced it with digital displays. If
Chrysler would add a good digital display (I think Lexus has one in an
SUV) they could fix their design mistake the the tiny windows.

Old October 28th 04, 06:42 PM
General Schvantzkoph

Old October 28th 04, 09:57 PM
Steve

General Schvantzkoph wrote:

> I only wish
> that Chrysler would offer a more attractive body style

They do... its called 'Magnum.' :-)

The more Magnums I see, the better they look. The low rakish look WORKS
with the Wagon body lines much better than with the notch-backed profile
and big-mouth grille on the 300.
Old October 28th 04, 09:57 PM
Steve

Old October 28th 04, 10:06 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 15:57:55 -0500, Steve wrote:

> General Schvantzkoph wrote:
>
>> I only wish
>> that Chrysler would offer a more attractive body style

> They do... its called 'Magnum.' :-)
>
> The more Magnums I see, the better they look. The low rakish look WORKS
> with the Wagon body lines much better than with the notch-backed profile
> and big-mouth grille on the 300.

I do like the Magnum better than the 300, but it's a station wagon. If
there was a sedan version of the Magnum I'd be interested.

Old October 28th 04, 10:06 PM
General Schvantzkoph

Old October 28th 04, 10:41 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

According to the TV prog it's being brought to the UK 'officially' next year
and I thought I heard them say with RHD.

And, BTW, you're right about little change on our roads. They're still
twisty. (Well, not our motorways.)

DAS
---

[...]