New Civic: Flat spots on tires return after 24-48 hours?

Old March 4th 05, 10:53 PM
Nobody

Default New Civic: Flat spots on tires return after 24-48 hours?

I got a new Civic 3 weeks ago and have had various vibration and steering
wheel shake issues. All of the problems have been corrected (mostly by
swapping wheels with another car) except one.

The dealer gave me a set of four new wheels from another car which seemed
great until I rotated them and found a shake (one wheel looked like it had
an uneven mounting surface). I had them put the good pair of the new
wheels on the rear and my original rear wheels on the front.

All is great except for one thing: When the car sits for 24-48 hours,
wicked flat spots return on the front wheels (original rear wheels). I
know it's these wheels because it first happened when the dealer put these
back on. If you drive it for 40-50 miles, it will go away (actually, when
I overinflated them and it smoothed out in 4-5 miles). Let it sit for
another 24-48 and it will return. I swear I even feel a litte something
when it only sits overnight that does go away after a few miles of highway
driving.

These wheels have nearly 1200 miles on them...will this go away or should I
push for new tires?

Note that it is 15-20 degrees here in NY pretty much night and day.
Old March 5th 05, 12:23 AM
FanJet

Nobody wrote:
> I got a new Civic 3 weeks ago and have had various vibration and
> steering wheel shake issues. All of the problems have been corrected
> (mostly by swapping wheels with another car) except one.
>
> The dealer gave me a set of four new wheels from another car which
> seemed great until I rotated them and found a shake (one wheel looked
> like it had an uneven mounting surface). I had them put the good
> pair of the new wheels on the rear and my original rear wheels on the
> front.
>
> All is great except for one thing: When the car sits for 24-48 hours,
> wicked flat spots return on the front wheels (original rear wheels).
> I know it's these wheels because it first happened when the dealer
> put these back on. If you drive it for 40-50 miles, it will go away
> (actually, when I overinflated them and it smoothed out in 4-5
> miles). Let it sit for another 24-48 and it will return. I swear I
> even feel a litte something when it only sits overnight that does go
> away after a few miles of highway driving.
>
> These wheels have nearly 1200 miles on them...will this go away or
> should I push for new tires?
>
> Note that it is 15-20 degrees here in NY pretty much night and day.

I drive my car when it -10 to -15 F with no problems. You've got a new car.
This a dealer problem not yours. Ask them to take care of it.

Old March 5th 05, 04:27 PM
TomP

Tires are not a dealer problem. Tires are warranted by the manufacturer of the
TIRE...

--
Tp,

-------- __o
----- -\<. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

Old March 7th 05, 06:26 AM
FanJet

TomP wrote:
> Tires are not a dealer problem. Tires are warranted by the
> manufacturer of the TIRE...
>
> FanJet wrote:
>
>> Nobody wrote:
>>> I got a new Civic 3 weeks ago and have had various vibration and
>>> steering wheel shake issues. All of the problems have been
>>> corrected (mostly by swapping wheels with another car) except one.
>>>
>>> The dealer gave me a set of four new wheels from another car which
>>> seemed great until I rotated them and found a shake (one wheel
>>> looked like it had an uneven mounting surface). I had them put the
>>> good pair of the new wheels on the rear and my original rear wheels
>>> on the front.
>>>
>>> All is great except for one thing: When the car sits for 24-48
>>> hours, wicked flat spots return on the front wheels (original rear
>>> wheels). I know it's these wheels because it first happened when
>>> the dealer put these back on. If you drive it for 40-50 miles, it
>>> will go away (actually, when I overinflated them and it smoothed
>>> out in 4-5 miles). Let it sit for another 24-48 and it will
>>> return. I swear I even feel a litte something when it only sits
>>> overnight that does go away after a few miles of highway driving.
>>>
>>> These wheels have nearly 1200 miles on them...will this go away or
>>> should I push for new tires?
>>>
>>> Note that it is 15-20 degrees here in NY pretty much night and day.

>> I drive my car when it -10 to -15 F with no problems. You've got a
>> new car. This a dealer problem not yours. Ask them to take care of
>> it.

Any self respecting *dealer* will take care of *any* problem on a 3 week old
car and stop top posting!

Old March 11th 05, 08:13 AM
Dave D

Did you check your tire pressure afte the car has set for a while?
Dave

Old March 12th 05, 04:59 PM
TomP

Hey FanJet,

You're right a dealer should take care of it; but my statement still stands
correct.

With regard to top posting... Tough. You don't like it put me in your "dick
head" file, as I will do for you, if you continue...

--
Tp,

-------- __o
----- -\<. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

Old March 19th 05, 06:59 AM
Kelly

I just bought a Y2K Accord that came with new Potenzas on it. They
flatspot after only a few hours of driveway time. It's been reasonably
mild (20's) here at night. It's been 25 years since I've had this sort
of thing happen. That was Wisconsin, in the dead of winter, on bias-ply
tires.

Old March 19th 05, 07:58 AM
Kevin McMurtrie

In article >,
Nobody > wrote:

> I got a new Civic 3 weeks ago and have had various vibration and steering
> wheel shake issues. All of the problems have been corrected (mostly by
> swapping wheels with another car) except one.
>
> The dealer gave me a set of four new wheels from another car which seemed
> great until I rotated them and found a shake (one wheel looked like it had
> an uneven mounting surface). I had them put the good pair of the new
> wheels on the rear and my original rear wheels on the front.
>
> All is great except for one thing: When the car sits for 24-48 hours,
> wicked flat spots return on the front wheels (original rear wheels). I
> know it's these wheels because it first happened when the dealer put these
> back on. If you drive it for 40-50 miles, it will go away (actually, when
> I overinflated them and it smoothed out in 4-5 miles). Let it sit for
> another 24-48 and it will return. I swear I even feel a litte something
> when it only sits overnight that does go away after a few miles of highway
> driving.
>
> These wheels have nearly 1200 miles on them...will this go away or should I
> push for new tires?
>
> Note that it is 15-20 degrees here in NY pretty much night and day.

I've had that happen with Bridgestone and Yokohama tires. It's very
annoying and distracting on Silicon Valley highways where 75-80 MPH is
typical.

The best tires I ever had on a Civic were the Michelin HydroEdge.
They're sloppy in cornering but they grip like duct tape even in the
rain. Also the quietest and best balanced at high speeds that I've ever
seen. They're pricey, though.

I unfortunately put them on my 97 Civic right before the car wore out.
Doh!
Old March 23rd 05, 10:14 AM
Sparky Spartacus

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
> In article >,
> Nobody > wrote:
>

>>I got a new Civic 3 weeks ago and have had various vibration and steering
>>wheel shake issues. All of the problems have been corrected (mostly by
>>swapping wheels with another car) except one.
>>
>>The dealer gave me a set of four new wheels from another car which seemed
>>great until I rotated them and found a shake (one wheel looked like it had
>>an uneven mounting surface). I had them put the good pair of the new
>>wheels on the rear and my original rear wheels on the front.
>>
>>All is great except for one thing: When the car sits for 24-48 hours,
>>wicked flat spots return on the front wheels (original rear wheels). I
>>know it's these wheels because it first happened when the dealer put these
>>back on. If you drive it for 40-50 miles, it will go away (actually, when
>>I overinflated them and it smoothed out in 4-5 miles). Let it sit for
>>another 24-48 and it will return. I swear I even feel a litte something
>>when it only sits overnight that does go away after a few miles of highway
>>driving.
>>
>>These wheels have nearly 1200 miles on them...will this go away or should I
>>push for new tires?
>>
>>Note that it is 15-20 degrees here in NY pretty much night and day.

> I've had that happen with Bridgestone and Yokohama tires. It's very
> annoying and distracting on Silicon Valley highways where 75-80 MPH is
> typical.

Doesn't it go away once the tires are warmed up?