Speaking of sticker shock...

Old April 22nd 06, 06:37 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default Speaking of sticker shock...

Its time to buy tires for the 94 Vette. Its not my daily driver so the stock
tires were still on her (25,000 miles on OE Runflats) Still lots of tread
but both rears lose air pressure (about 2 lbs a week) sure hope its not the
rims .
any who...Read good things about The Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. so went to GY
dealer and BAM!! 500$ each. I said no way I seen them on line for 240$ each
.. hes said *his* cost was over 350$ each.*We cant compete with wholesale...*
lol I came home and bought 4 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires: at the
TireRack.com
2 285/40YR-17 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 In Stock $207.00 $414.00

2 255/45YR-17 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 Back Ordered $213.00 $426.00

Even if back ordered tires take 4-6 weeks and Im charged 150$ for
mount/bal/etc Its all good !!
The rears are in stock
Btw I had them shipped right to the tire store They will call when they
arrive
--
RS
2006 FLSTNI

Old April 22nd 06, 07:19 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

RS wrote:
> Its time to buy tires for the 94 Vette. Its not my daily driver so the stock
> tires were still on her (25,000 miles on OE Runflats) Still lots of tread
> but both rears lose air pressure (about 2 lbs a week) sure hope its not the
> rims .
> any who...Read good things about The Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. so went to GY
> dealer and BAM!! 500$ each. I said no way I seen them on line for 240$ each
> . hes said *his* cost was over 350$ each.*We cant compete with wholesale...*
> lol I came home and bought 4 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires: at the
> TireRack.com
> 2 285/40YR-17 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 In Stock $207.00 $414.00
>
> 2 255/45YR-17 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 Back Ordered $213.00 $426.00
>

> Even if back ordered tires take 4-6 weeks and Im charged 150$ for
> mount/bal/etc Its all good !!
> The rears are in stock
> Btw I had them shipped right to the tire store They will call when they
> arrive

That's strange, I don't believe for one minute that Tire Rack could
possibly
sell them to you for less than your local store can buy them.... that's
nuts...
if it WERE true, your local tire store would be ordering from Tire Rack.

My experience (although with inexpensive tires) is that my local store can
come close enough to the net price of
ordering/shipping/installing/balancing
via Tire Rack that it's hardly worth the wait.
Old April 23rd 06, 12:34 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

WayneC wrote:
> RS wrote:
>> Its time to buy tires for the 94 Vette. Its not my daily driver so the
>> stock tires were still on her (25,000 miles on OE Runflats) Still lots
>> of tread but both rears lose air pressure (about 2 lbs a week) sure
>> hope its not the rims .
>> any who...Read good things about The Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. so went
>> to GY dealer and BAM!! 500$ each. I said no way I seen them on line
>> for 240$ each . hes said *his* cost was over 350$ each.*We cant
>> compete with wholesale...* lol I came home and bought 4 Goodyear Eagle
>> F1 GS-D3 tires: at the TireRack.com
>> 2 285/40YR-17 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 In Stock $207.00 $414.00
>>
>> 2 255/45YR-17 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 Back Ordered $213.00 $426.00
>>

>> Even if back ordered tires take 4-6 weeks and Im charged 150$ for
>> mount/bal/etc Its all good !!
>> The rears are in stock
>> Btw I had them shipped right to the tire store They will call when
>> they arrive

> That's strange, I don't believe for one minute that Tire Rack could
> possibly
> sell them to you for less than your local store can buy them.... that's
> nuts...
> if it WERE true, your local tire store would be ordering from Tire Rack.
>
> My experience (although with inexpensive tires) is that my local store can
> come close enough to the net price of
> ordering/shipping/installing/balancing
> via Tire Rack that it's hardly worth the wait.

Hi all,
Similar story as Wayne's. I've seen the local Goodyear store get real
competitive on a set of garden variety passenger car tires for the
family sedan or truck, usually within a limited range of popular tire
sizes.
Every time I priced premium passenger car tires or a pair of tires for
the Pontiac, 911 or Corvette, they've quoted Goodyear's list
price--period. I've tried, "will you match Discount's or 4-Day's price
for the same Goodyear tire?" When I really whined, their best offer is
for 12 months of free road hazard insurance. (Worth about $20 at my
independent dealer.) I only bought road hazard insurance once--I think
I was 19. So, this gimmick doesn't sweeten the deal.
Once, the response was, "Goodyear retail stores can't sell 'seconds' or
'blems' to their retail customers." Another time it was, "...have you
noticed that the tires from discount stores need more weight to balance
than our tires?" Ho hum.
Some years back my kids finished college and I got "instantly rich."
Rather than wait in line at 4-Day or Discount Tire, I started buying
from a local independent tire guy. His prices are within an rch of
Discount Tire and, when all is said and done he's within 10-15 bucks of
TireRack. Twenty four hours for most special orders. Out of the three
dozen tires I've bought from him, one was bad and he pulled it from the
balancing machine and sent it back to the jobber. Old tire went back on
my 'vette and the replacement was there the following morning. Three
percent isn't a large number but, that one tire would be a real headache.
Another plus: if it's a tire he recommended, he'll exchange it for any
other tire of my choice within 30 days of the sale--and, eat the cost of
mounting and balancing. That factor alone was a great confidence
builder in switching away from the EMTs. He was willing to give me full
$$ credit and switch me to another non-runflat or EMT of my choice. His
choice was excellent; so, I've got a nice quiet ride he has the money!

--
PJ
'89 Hookercar '02 e-blu coupe
Old April 23rd 06, 09:21 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

I have the F1 GS D3 on mine, and 315's on the rear w/12in wheels and
didn't pay anywhere near $500....
Got mine from Tire Rack also.
And they are a very quiet tire.

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove –SPAM- from email address
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

Sticker shock..... Old & in the way.... Corvette 4 April 22nd 06 06:13 AM
AWA [OFFER] new shock absorbers ford [email protected] General 0 March 13th 06 12:01 PM
Removing city sticker LenS Technology 13 October 4th 05 06:23 PM
Removing city sticker - what I did LenS Technology 1 September 27th 05 02:47 AM
Dumb shock questions.. Carl Saiyed Jeep 3 February 12th 05 03:59 PM