miles on c3 cars for sale

Old July 24th 05, 01:43 PM
rebco10

Default miles on c3 cars for sale

Isnt it interesting that almost every c3 I can find for sale all have
between 65K and 80K.

I just find it interesting that all these cars with cable speedomoters
are only driven around 2K per year.

I could understand a few. But check out e-bay. I think 80-90% state
the low mileage.

Old July 24th 05, 07:41 PM
Barking Rats

In article .com>,
"rebco10" > wrote:

> Isnt it interesting that almost every c3 I can find for sale all have
> between 65K and 80K.
>
> I just find it interesting that all these cars with cable speedomoters
> are only driven around 2K per year.
>
> I could understand a few. But check out e-bay. I think 80-90% state
> the low mileage.

* Corvettes have always been primarily a "second" or used for recreation
car.

*I'd say that in their early years of life, prior to Corvettes attaining
collectible status in the later part of the '70s, most were driven
probably 50-75% under average mileages per year for the era. So a '63
had 12-ish years of almost normalcy while a '67 had 8-ish. BTW, my '67
has 59,750 or thereabouts.

* Since the early '80s the road time these cars saw dropped
dramatically. Hell, I only drive my '67 about 300 miles/year - if that.
It's fun to drive and all that, but not nearly as comfortable,
inexpensive and worry-free to drive on a regular basis as our daily cars.

*Also consider the gas crunch of the earlier years of the '70s -
hindering some use of these kinds of cars.

* Lastly, people didn't daily commute anywhere near as far 40 years ago
as they do today. Extremely few residents of my 'berg would have driven
the 35 miles to get to work in the metro area that quite a few do today.
We drive much more per year these days than in decades past - what's the
average? 15,000? It wasn't that many years ago that the figure stood at
12,000.

Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen
___

'67BB & '72BB

-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is
original posting --
___

"To know the world intimately is the beginning of caring."
-- Ann Hayman Zwinger
Old July 25th 05, 12:24 PM
Dave in Lake Villa

As the C3's started developing age, they became more of a
collector/restoration project, so, they werent driven as much. (Im
talking on average). Another possible reason for the 60-80 k. mileage
on so many is due to the speedometer/odometer being changed out ....
whether due to a failure, or, purposeful deception.

Old July 25th 05, 04:14 PM
RicSeyler

Ummmm, it was common practice to crawl under the car and disconnect the
cable...
Especially a car that was known to be a collectable when originally
purchased.

If Karma put the miles on me that I left off of cars when I was young,
I'd be dust today. LOLOL

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove –SPAM- from email address
--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

Old July 25th 05, 09:24 PM
dave

'Ummmm, it was common practice to crawl under the car and disconnect the
cable...
Especially a car that was known to be a collectable when originally
purchased.'

Reply: Im sure many did, but, at the expense of some speeding tickets
perhaps with not having a functional speedometer (odometer) .

Old July 25th 05, 10:54 PM
RicSeyler

All I know where I came from when you bought a Camaro, Chevelle, Nova,
Vette, GTO
Mustang, Cuda, Charger, Duster etc in the 70's first thing we did was
disconnect the speedo........

The tach was the speedo, and it was "socially required" back then to
have a Chrome
Cup Sun Tach on the dash!!!! LOLOL

Old July 25th 05, 11:45 PM
StingRay

We must be from the same area Ric! Everyone knew how to fairly accurately
judge the speed of a Chevy small block by the tach. 2000 RPM's in 4th gear
was 40MPH, 3000 RPM's was 60MPH, 4000RPM's was 80MPH, etc.

Old July 26th 05, 02:52 AM
Tom in Missouri

Another reason was the number of speedometer/odometer failures in these cars
due to the extra load of the trip odometer, which frequently froze up due to
corrosion in the trip odometer cable.

I remember lots of old Corvettes where the speedo worked and not the
odometer, usually with the owner saying "The odometer just quite a couple of
weeks ago, so the mileage is accurate."

Remember, people put a lot of importance in low mileage cars back then.
12,000 miles a year may have been an average but you probably knew few who
did that unless they took the typical '60s type family vacation out west to
add on the 4000 or 5000 miles to California and Disneyland. I remember the
rule of thumb was about 10,000 miles per year a well-used car and you wanted
to find 5000 a year to get a nice one.

Growing up outside St. Louis, my dad drove about 8 or 9 miles to work in the
steelmill in Alton. It was a big deal. A few people around drove the 20 or
25 miles to St. Louis to work at Mac and most carpooled in a time before gas
economy and such, because it was so far to work. Some guys my dad worked
with used to drive in from the farm country and drive like 30 or 40 miles to
Alton. Most thought them completely insane.

C3s are that time, and mileage is just less. Plus as others have said, they
wee mostly second cars, bought for fun, and while many drove them daily,
they were not daily drivers, often being daily for a week, then put away for
a week or two, then out again for a few days. There were two fuel crisis in
the '70s, so many were left at home for the economy car to work, the 20 mpg
compact versus the 12 mpg Corvette, and collector status was just beginning.

By the time it was getting to be common to drive 30 miles to work, the C3
were not the go-to-work vehicles, being driven weekends and special outings.

Basically, these cars probably accumulated their 40,000 of those 60 or
80,000 in the first 10 years or less, the remaining 20,000 in the last 25
years.

news

Old August 5th 05, 01:00 PM
lab~rat

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:14:23 -0500, RicSeyler >
puked:

>Ummmm, it was common practice to crawl under the car and disconnect the
>cable...
>Especially a car that was known to be a collectable when originally
>purchased.
>
>If Karma put the miles on me that I left off of cars when I was young,
>I'd be dust today. LOLOL

Isn't that a lot like stealing? I knew this girl in college that had
really wealthy parents. A front yard full of Mercedes & Beemers and
not one of them had the odometer connected. I lost a lot of respect
for her folks and always thought twice about how they came about their
fortune...

--
lab~rat >:-)
Do you want polite or do you want sincere?
Old August 6th 05, 01:23 AM
dave

'Isn't that a lot like stealing? I knew this girl in college that had
really wealthy parents. A front yard full of Mercedes & Beemers and not
one of them had the odometer connected. I lost a lot of respect for her
folks and always thought twice about how they came about their
fortune...
--
lab~rat >:-)'

Reply: Essentially, it is like stealing because youre getting more
money for the willful deception ; its a purposed misrepresentation.
Money achieved thru ill-gotton gain just doesnt have the same feeling as
when is had by honest measures. At least to those that allow thier God
given moral conscience to kick in .

LIDAR Trial this Week [email protected] Driving 17 April 9th 06 02:44 AM
The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
Why all the cracked heads, oil burning,etc. here? [email protected] Saturn 11 March 28th 05 09:39 PM
Will switching from Synthetic to Dyno oil harm my engine? elmo Technology 221 January 2nd 05 05:32 PM
100,000 mile vehicle ok? scott and barb Technology 1 December 11th 04 10:59 PM