2003 Jetta Bangs while shifting when cold.

Old November 18th 04, 08:39 PM
Lenny Wilson

Default 2003 Jetta Bangs while shifting when cold.

2003 Jetta GLS with 2.0l automatic and 34k on it has two problems.

When cold there is a slight delay going into gear (D or Reverse) from
park. When semi cold or just warming up I sometimes get a rather abrupt
"slamming" into gear going from 2 to 3 or sometimes 3 to 4.

I don't think this has ever happened when the car is fully warmed but I
can't be certain because it is my wifes car and I don't drive it all that
much.

Normally first thing I would check is fluid level but it looks like a
nightmare in this car.

Known problem?
Any ideas?
TIA
Lenny
Old November 18th 04, 08:48 PM
Eduardo K.

In article >,
Lenny Wilson > wrote:
>2003 Jetta GLS with 2.0l automatic and 34k on it has two problems.
>
>When cold there is a slight delay going into gear (D or Reverse) from
>park. When semi cold or just warming up I sometimes get a rather abrupt
>"slamming" into gear going from 2 to 3 or sometimes 3 to 4.
>
>I don't think this has ever happened when the car is fully warmed but I
>can't be certain because it is my wifes car and I don't drive it all that
>much.
>
>Normally first thing I would check is fluid level but it looks like a
>nightmare in this car.
>
>Known problem?
>Any ideas?

Put it in 'D'.-
Head for the dealer.
Complain.

--
Eduardo K. | Darwin pone las reglas.
http://e.nn.cl |
Old November 18th 04, 08:48 PM
Eduardo K.

In article >,
Lenny Wilson > wrote:
>2003 Jetta GLS with 2.0l automatic and 34k on it has two problems.
>
>When cold there is a slight delay going into gear (D or Reverse) from
>park. When semi cold or just warming up I sometimes get a rather abrupt
>"slamming" into gear going from 2 to 3 or sometimes 3 to 4.
>
>I don't think this has ever happened when the car is fully warmed but I
>can't be certain because it is my wifes car and I don't drive it all that
>much.
>
>Normally first thing I would check is fluid level but it looks like a
>nightmare in this car.
>
>Known problem?
>Any ideas?

Put it in 'D'.-
Head for the dealer.
Complain.

--
http://e.nn.cl |
Old November 18th 04, 10:24 PM
Biz

"Lenny Wilson" > wrote in message
news
> 2003 Jetta GLS with 2.0l automatic and 34k on it has two problems.
>
> When cold there is a slight delay going into gear (D or Reverse) from
> park. When semi cold or just warming up I sometimes get a rather abrupt
> "slamming" into gear going from 2 to 3 or sometimes 3 to 4.
>
> I don't think this has ever happened when the car is fully warmed but I
> can't be certain because it is my wifes car and I don't drive it all that
> much.
>
> Normally first thing I would check is fluid level but it looks like a
> nightmare in this car.
>
> Known problem?
> Any ideas?
> TIA
> Lenny

What are you referring to as the nightmare, checking the tranny fluid level?
Sounds like a typical auto tranny that needs a fluid and filter change, and
possibly adjustment. Unless VW auto trannys in these cars are some odd
bird.

Old November 18th 04, 10:24 PM
Biz

Old November 18th 04, 10:48 PM
Rob Guenther

The delay is there in my car too (4 speed auto 99.5 TDI Golf)... After I
changed the fluid at the recommended by my dealer 90-100K Kms interval the
delay wasn't as bad... and if I didn't wait for it, it wouldn't slam
abusively into gear.

2-3, 3-4, and downshifts are smooth and silky in my Golf

Your fluid CAN be changed, maybe not checked tho... Get it done... it's
expensive tho, as it's a synthetic that is designed to be sealed in there -
my dealer recommends having it changed tho, as do I after I have seen how
nice it can be with it done.

Old November 18th 04, 10:48 PM
Rob Guenther

Old November 19th 04, 12:34 AM
Woodchuck

"Lenny Wilson" > wrote in message
news
> 2003 Jetta GLS with 2.0l automatic and 34k on it has two problems.
>
> When cold there is a slight delay going into gear (D or Reverse) from
> park.

That's normal and your dealer should be able to show you the tech bulletin
if you don't believe them. It has to do with the emission requirements to
keep them low on a cold engine. Also you engine RPM maybe higher cold and
shift later cold so the cat convertor warms up faster.

When semi cold or just warming up I sometimes get a rather abrupt
> "slamming" into gear going from 2 to 3 or sometimes 3 to 4.

May or may not be normal, now I got you confused don't I? That transmission
has what's called adaptive learning so it just may shift differently from
time to time. It all depends on how a person drives the car. Give you car to
a teenager for a day and when you get it back it will definitely shirt
harsher. Let granny drive it and it will shift softer when you get back in
the car. But what I would do... is have your dealer check the fluid level
since it's still under warranty and would be FREE if some is needed.

Old November 19th 04, 12:34 AM
Woodchuck

Old November 19th 04, 03:36 AM
Rob Guenther

The tranny will shift more crisply, with less torque converter smoothing out
when it's in a sporty mode, but it's not rough by any measure (for a car of
it's price).... His tranny sounds like mine after I got the car (it had
15-20 different regular drivers as a company car... the tranny was confused
to say the least!).