oil use in early C4?

Old November 25th 04, 05:26 AM
Bob Courtemanche

Default oil use in early C4?

Hello all:

I've got an '85 with almost 200K on it, supposedly has a rebuilt engine,
compressions are all 145 - 155. I burn a quart every 400 to 500 miles. I
suspect the valve oil seals are shot, as this seems to be a common
ailment for the L-98. Comments?

Thanks,

--
Bob Courtemanche

Please reply to the newsgroup
To email me, remove the "ABC" from my email address.

Old November 25th 04, 03:17 PM
Bob G.

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:26:36 -0800, Bob Courtemanche
> wrote:

>Hello all:
>
>I've got an '85 with almost 200K on it, supposedly has a rebuilt engine,
>compressions are all 145 - 155. I burn a quart every 400 to 500 miles. I
>suspect the valve oil seals are shot, as this seems to be a common
>ailment for the L-98. Comments?
>
>Thanks,

I highly doubt that bad seals would cause oil consumption anywhere
near what you are experiencing... I just last week purchased two sets
of valve seals for 2 of my Corvettes which need them... My 76 blows
smoke on start up big time... yet I never loose more then 1/3 of a
quart between oil changes...(2-3000 miles) ...

I would suspect that you have at least one oil ring that is cracked or
not shot... your compression rings may still be ok..

I am NOT a certified GM Mechanic ... lol... but that is my "guess"

Bob Griffiths
Old November 25th 04, 03:17 PM
Bob G.

Old November 26th 04, 04:17 AM
Mike Ellison

Bob G. wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:26:36 -0800, Bob Courtemanche
> > wrote:
>

>>Hello all:
>>
>>I've got an '85 with almost 200K on it, supposedly has a rebuilt engine,
>>compressions are all 145 - 155. I burn a quart every 400 to 500 miles. I
>>suspect the valve oil seals are shot, as this seems to be a common
>>ailment for the L-98. Comments?
>>
>>Thanks,

> I highly doubt that bad seals would cause oil consumption anywhere
> near what you are experiencing... I just last week purchased two sets
> of valve seals for 2 of my Corvettes which need them... My 76 blows
> smoke on start up big time... yet I never loose more then 1/3 of a
> quart between oil changes...(2-3000 miles) ...
>
> I would suspect that you have at least one oil ring that is cracked or
> not shot... your compression rings may still be ok..
>
> I am NOT a certified GM Mechanic ... lol... but that is my "guess"
>
> Bob Griffiths

There was an L98 service bulletin regarding valve seal problems but it
related to static leakage that caused a white wisp in the exhaust for 3
or 4 seconds after the car has been sitting for several days. I'm with
Bob, look elsewhere at first.

Once upon a time I had an engine rebuild and the shop delivered it with
the wrong dipstick. Oil consumption was horid and the myechanic kept
saying to wait until the rings settled in. A couple of thousand miles
and several quarts of oil later, a sharp-eyed grease monkey in the
corner gas station noted that it was taking an extra quart to fill the
crankcase.

Mike.

Old November 26th 04, 04:17 AM
Mike Ellison

Old December 1st 04, 01:10 AM
Bob I

Plug check would confirm a cracked oil ring.

Old December 1st 04, 01:10 AM
Bob I