99 Jeep TJ Steering Problem

Old May 16th 05, 01:16 AM
Tony D

Default 99 Jeep TJ Steering Problem

Hi all. I have a 99 Jeep TJ, 160,000km. Recently, it has been giving me a
bit of trouble when making sharp turns at low speeds. I try not to make
sharp turns at high speeds . Basically, the steering wheel gives pressure
to swing back to the opposite side.

I replaced my steering damper, but I still get the problem. The ball joints
and other connections seem solid and my wheels seem balanced. I have no
problems going in a straight line at high and low speeds. Any ideas of what
I should be looking at?

THANKS!

Old May 16th 05, 01:35 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

It's supposed to steer back straight if you release the wheel, but
usually the straight axle doesn't come stock with enough castor, like
the suspension of the cars from the fifties
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 16th 05, 02:49 AM

yep, i had to use tapered shims under the spring perches to smooth mine out
3 or 5 degrees i think
old john

Old May 16th 05, 02:05 PM
John Sevey

Tony D > wrote:
> Hi all. I have a 99 Jeep TJ, 160,000km. Recently, it has been giving me a
> bit of trouble when making sharp turns at low speeds. I try not to make
> sharp turns at high speeds . Basically, the steering wheel gives pressure
> to swing back to the opposite side.
>
> I replaced my steering damper, but I still get the problem. The ball joints
> and other connections seem solid and my wheels seem balanced. I have no
> problems going in a straight line at high and low speeds. Any ideas of what
> I should be looking at?

Just a thought:

How are your front wheel u-joints?

-John
Old May 17th 05, 02:47 AM
Tony D

I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary with them. What should I be
looking for John?

Old May 17th 05, 01:22 PM
Mike Romain

I would be jacking up each front corner and cutting the wheels hard to
the side and then hand spin the wheel. If the u-joints are going bad,
you should see movement or rust or it will bind up.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 17th 05, 01:54 PM
John Sevey

Mike Romain > wrote:
> I would be jacking up each front corner and cutting the wheels hard to
> the side and then hand spin the wheel. If the u-joints are going bad,
> you should see movement or rust or it will bind up.

Yeah, like Mike says.

When the u-joints seized up on my Cherokee, I didn't have any movement or rust
on the joints themselves, but the joints were bound up enough that I couldn't
spin the tires without them forcing the steering wheel straight again. (I
jacked up the entire front end, having both wheels off the ground at the same
time during the test.)

-John
Old May 27th 05, 02:32 AM
Tony D