MX5 engine problem

Old August 30th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
grm

Default MX5 engine problem

My MX5 NB of 1998, 93000 km, which I drive without problems for over a
year now suddenly shows a weird problem. The coolant level in the
reservoir is at minimum, filling it is no solution, after 2 days,
minimum level again. Level is actually about the level of the joint
clilinderhead-motor block.
No leaks in the garage or at parking lots, no visible leaks either.

In the radiator, with the radiator cap unplugged and the motor running
idle, there is some coolant movement which does not seem to be normal.
Motor is shaking too much when running idle and produces not enough
power when driving. Starting with cold engine takes a while, which was
not the case until a few weeks ago.
A pressure test on the cilinders was done showing cil. 1 = 3.5kg, cil 2
= 5.8 kg, cil 3 = 6.4 kg en
cil 4 = 7 kg. Not enough pressure ... However, in hot condition cil 1
= 6 kg.

First idea was a leak in the joint between cilinderhead and
motornblock.
Cilinderhead was dismounted, no visible damage to joint or cilinder
head no signs of coolant leak. Valves of the first cilinder had another
color though, probably due to coolant in the cilinder? Cilinder itself
was OK.
Cilinderhead has been tested for leaks and is OK! The cilinderhead was
0.1 mm uneven, but I was told this is not a problem. Mazda mechanics
also tell me the MX5 never ever has a problem with joint or cilinder
head.

Has someone a similar experience and what can be the problem?

Old August 31st 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Mal Osborne

Most obvious first guess is a shot head gasket, maybe a cracked or corroded
head. Whip it off & take a look.

ups.com...

Old September 8th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Thomas Misek

NB 1998? You must have an early model.

ups.com...

Old September 8th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

Not really-US 99 models were 98 models in other countries. The clue is 93000
km and other metric measurements.

If the head was removed and replaced, plug wires are suspect, as are things
that were disturbed, such as the cam sensor.

om...