Motor Oil Viscosity

Old April 19th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Motor Oil Viscosity

In the U S South regions where the temps in the summer time reach 100°
- I hate the idea of using 5W30 wt. motor oil - even tho it is a factory
recommendation.

what do you think?

mho
vƒe

Old April 19th 06, 12:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
In the U S South regions where the temps in the summer time reach 100°
- I hate the idea of using 5W30 wt. motor oil - even tho it is a factory
recommendation.

what do you think?

mho
vfe
Your manual normally gives a range of acceptable motor oil types or
viscosities
depending on the type of driving, temperature, etc. I think it is perhaps
wise to
stick within those recommendations, particularly if you have a warranty in
place.

Old April 19th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

John S. wrote:

> mettalurgical

...ouch

Old April 19th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

cavedweller wrote:
> John S. wrote:
>
> > mettalurgical

> ..ouch

I need to get the Funk and Wagnalls out so I can spel gooder.

Old April 19th 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"aarcuda69062" > wrote in message

> I think you need to think.
>
> What gets hotter, the ambient temperature in Texas, or the
> burning gasoline?

In the last few days, that might be debatable, Aarcuda;>)

Old April 19th 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

5W20 or 5W30 oil will save a few drops of gasoline during the first few minutes of driving. 20W50 will keep keep your bearings and camshaft lobes from wearing out after the oil thins out because it is running at around 200 deg.F. It's your choice.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

Viscosity dwvick VW water cooled 6 December 21st 05 11:39 PM
Infinity G35-Oil and Change interval Raybender Technology 9 October 8th 05 10:58 PM
which is worse, wrong viscosity or dino oil? Nate Nagel Technology 27 July 1st 05 09:13 PM
(newbie question) oil viscosity and fuel consumption William Park VW water cooled 4 March 17th 05 04:12 AM
2004 JGC Oil Viscosity Neil Jeep 1 January 10th 05 02:50 PM