Another PDPI or USB-TSW question.

Old January 8th 05, 06:31 PM
LA45

Default Another PDPI or USB-TSW question.

I am still trying to knock the dust off my TSW, and get back into sim racing
after being off for more than two years.

I have a question for those of you who have tried both (or just have an
opinion). Which one of these two options is the best combination for N2003
using a TSW wheel? Don't factor in any other uses for the computer. Money
is not an issue as far as these two choices are concerned. In other words,
I can afford the ($200.00) TSW/USB modification route, but I prefer going
with the one that will provide the best performance.

1. The TSW on Windows 89SE with a PDPI card (I would do a dual boot, with XP
used for everything other than N2003).

2. The TSW with the "factory" USB modifications running on Windows XP.

Here is the computer:

CPU......AMD Athlon 1200 MHz
MB.......Abit KT7A MB
Video.....Nvidia Geforece3 Ti 200
Sound....Turtle Beach
Memory..512 mb pc 133

Thanks

Old January 8th 05, 08:27 PM
Triathlete

:
[...]

Not a direct response to your questions, but I had the Rockfire adapter for
my TSW, and had problems with it. I sent my unit back to TSW and had the
USB mod installed. Has performed flawlessly.

Old January 9th 05, 09:06 AM
David Ciemny

"Triathlete" > wrote in message

> "LA45" > wrote in message
> :I am still trying to knock the dust off my TSW, and get back into sim
> racing
> : after being off for more than two years.
> :
> : I have a question for those of you who have tried both (or just have an
> : opinion). Which one of these two options is the best combination for
> N2003
> : using a TSW wheel? Don't factor in any other uses for the computer.
> Money
> : is not an issue as far as these two choices are concerned. In other
> words,
> : I can afford the ($200.00) TSW/USB modification route, but I prefer
> going
> : with the one that will provide the best performance.
> :
> : 1. The TSW on Windows 89SE with a PDPI card (I would do a dual boot,
> with
> XP
> : used for everything other than N2003).
> :
> : 2. The TSW with the "factory" USB modifications running on Windows XP.
> :
> : Here is the computer:
> :
> : CPU......AMD Athlon 1200 MHz
> : MB.......Abit KT7A MB
> : Video.....Nvidia Geforece3 Ti 200
> : Sound....Turtle Beach
> : Memory..512 mb pc 133
>
> Not a direct response to your questions, but I had the Rockfire adapter
> for
> my TSW, and had problems with it. I sent my unit back to TSW and had the
> USB mod installed. Has performed flawlessly.

If $ and time (shipping) aren't concerns then go the usb conversion. I don't
have it but tried the rockfire. It will not give you the results you are
looking for imho.

DC

Old January 9th 05, 12:42 PM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 04:06:46 -0500, David Ciemny wrote:

> If $ and time (shipping) aren't concerns then go the usb conversion. I don't
> have it but tried the rockfire. It will not give you the results you are
> looking for imho.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but what kind of resolution do you
get on the "factory converted" tsw units? With the rockfire adapter
and high spec spots, GPL calibration gives me around 200 separate
values on the steering axis and around 60 on the brake axis. I'd
really like to find out how the tsw conversion units fare in this
department.

OT, I can drive "ok" with the el-cheapo rockfire usb adapter, it's not
great and nothing like GPL's original "generic" input routines, but I
can live with it for now (unless you tell me the factory conversion is
miles above it in terms of resolution, now that would be a different
matter ;-)

Cheers,

uwe

--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61
Old January 9th 05, 04:45 PM
Pascal Dukers

Uwe Schürkamp wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 04:06:46 -0500, David Ciemny wrote:
>
> Not meaning to hijack the thread, but what kind of resolution do you
> get on the "factory converted" tsw units? With the rockfire adapter
> and high spec spots, GPL calibration gives me around 200 separate
> values on the steering axis and around 60 on the brake axis. I'd
> really like to find out how the tsw conversion units fare in this
> department.

I know that after a simple and non permanent modification to the wiring
my TSW2 wheel, I could increase the resolution a lot. My gameport would
only recognize it when I turn the wheel to the left Have not tried it
with the pedals yet, but it should be possible there too.

Pascal
Old January 9th 05, 04:46 PM
Triathlete

"Uwe Schürkamp" > wrote in message
: On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 04:06:46 -0500, David Ciemny wrote:
: >
[...]

I have the factory converted TSW and my values are close to what you're
getting. Steering = 223, brake = 71 and throttle = 72. The main difference
I'm seeing compared to the Rockfire adapter I was previously using, is the
overall smoothness of the wheel and pedals. Also, there were times that
the Rockfire just wouldn't work. When I would start a sim, the controller
wasn't recognized. I would have to do a reboot to get it working.

Old January 9th 05, 05:08 PM
ZZ

I have the factory converted TSW and my values are close to what you're
getting. Steering = 223, brake = 71 and throttle = 72. The main
difference
I'm seeing compared to the Rockfire adapter I was previously using, is the
overall smoothness of the wheel and pedals. Also, there were times that
the Rockfire just wouldn't work. When I would start a sim, the controller
wasn't recognized. I would have to do a reboot to get it working.

-----------------------------------

You know that you can alter the length of the pedal throw by taking off
the cover and lengthening or shortening the screw arms on the pedal
mechanism? If you want more of the pot to be used, you'd probably need
the lengthen the screw arms. Steering can be shortened by adding a few
screws to act as stops. I changed my TSW steering to 180 degrees because
I like it that way.

Sorry you don't like the Rockfire Uwe, I find it just as good if not
better then gameport.

--
Richard "ZZ" Busch

Member:
Screamers Racing League
oAo
AoA
MARA TransAm
GT Rank +57.022
GT Rank Monster 1414.955
GPL Rank + 14.768
MoGPL Rank + 308.654
N2003 Rank -18.8060
Old January 9th 05, 05:57 PM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 12:08:02 -0500, ZZ wrote:
> Sorry you don't like the Rockfire Uwe, I find it just as good if not
> better then gameport.

Hi ZZ,

thanks for your suggestions. I am not saying I don't like my new
setup, it's just that I expected a bit more from all the hassle (not
that Dave Jr. didn't warn me ;-) However it probably has as much to do
with the psychological side ("gnaah, GTR made me upgrade to XP Pro,
something I'd sworn I'd never do") of things as it has with the
hardware side.

I'm neither slower nor faster in GPL, F1C, GTR or N2003 than before
with the new Rockfire setup, so on the face of things nothing has
really gone from "good" to "bad" or whatever. Just ignore my moaning
from now on; now that I've heard that $100 conversion kit from Thomas
doesn't really mean all that much of an improvement over my custom
el-cheapo setup, I already feel a lot happier ;^)

cheers,
uwe

--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61
Old January 9th 05, 05:58 PM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 17:45:41 +0100, Pascal Dukers wrote:
> I know that after a simple and non permanent modification to the wiring
> my TSW2 wheel, I could increase the resolution a lot. My gameport would
> only recognize it when I turn the wheel to the left Have not tried it
> with the pedals yet, but it should be possible there too.

Care to tell us what you did then?

All the best,

uwe

--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61
Old January 9th 05, 07:43 PM
Steve Smith

Larry,

Don't overlook the fact that needing a mobo w. an ISA slot (for the PDPI) is
going to seriously limit your future choices, not to mention being a PITA if
you have to dual-boot each time you want to play to N2003. The PDPI was a
great workaround back in the days of analog gameports, but nothing more than
a boat anchor today.