2004 Dodge Neon SXT - poor gas mileage

Old October 25th 04, 05:09 PM
daagar

Default 2004 Dodge Neon SXT - poor gas mileage

I have a new (< 3000miles) 2004 Dodge Neon SXT (auto trans.). The
sticker said the car should be getting 25-31 MPG. Unfortunately, I
have yet to get anything above 22-23 regardless of my driving
(city/highway/etc).

Being a new vehicle, I don't expect it to be a problem with spark
plugs, O2 sensors, tire inflation, etc. Is there anything else that
can be checked? I fear a trip to the dealer would turn up empty since
22mpg is "close" to 25... however, a previous car with the same rating
easily did 28-30 on average with the same useage and I'd like to
regain something close to that.

Could this really be something as simple as 'heavy-footing' it? Or is
there are potential underlying problem? This car is a bit more
powerful than the last (a 2001 Saturn), so I suppose that could be it
(my wife is quite the lead-foot from a stop..)

Thanks.
Old October 25th 04, 05:24 PM
SRG

Unless its hard for you to get to a dealer, I would take it in, this is part
of what you're paying for when you buy the car. Understandibly, with a new
car, you wouldn't expect wear-out problems with the spark plugs, 02 sensors,
etc,. but you might find that something is defective. Some new Chrysler
owners ran into problems with defective spark plug wires on their new cars,
for example. Also, you might try different gas stations, with the high
price of gas, some stations might be selling crappy gas.

SRg

om...

Old October 25th 04, 05:24 PM
SRG

Unless its hard for you to get to a dealer, I would take it in, this is part
of what you're paying for when you buy the car. Understandibly, with a new
car, you wouldn't expect wear-out problems with the spark plugs, 02 sensors,
etc,. but you might find that something is defective. Some new Chrysler
owners ran into problems with defective spark plug wires on their new cars,
for example. Also, you might try different gas stations, with the high
price of gas, some stations might be selling crappy gas.

SRg

om...

Old October 25th 04, 05:55 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, daagar wrote:

> I have a new (< 3000miles) 2004 Dodge Neon SXT (auto trans.). The
> sticker said the car should be getting 25-31 MPG.

No, the sticker said the car rated 25 mpg on the EPA's simulated
city-driving cycle, and 31 mpg on the EPA's simulated highway-driving
cycle. This does NOT mean the car "should get" that mileage! The EPA test
protocols are slightly more representative of real-world driving
conditions than they were in the '70s and '80s, but not much -- there's
still a very wide gap between how the EPA computer "drives" the car and
how any actual human being does it on actual, real roads.

> I have yet to get anything above 22-23 regardless of my driving
> (city/highway/etc).

By all means, have it checked out in case there's something wrong, but
don't think that the numbers on the sticker are any kind of indication or
guarantee.

DS
Old October 25th 04, 05:55 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old October 25th 04, 06:01 PM
Bob Shuman

"daagar" > wrote in message
om...
> I have a new (< 3000miles) 2004 Dodge Neon SXT (auto trans.). The
> sticker said the car should be getting 25-31 MPG. Unfortunately, I
> have yet to get anything above 22-23 regardless of my driving
> (city/highway/etc).
>
> Being a new vehicle, I don't expect it to be a problem with spark
> plugs, O2 sensors, tire inflation, etc.

Check the tire inflation yourself and don't just assume they are correctly
inflated. Cherck the maximum cold inflation rating stamped on the tire
sidewall and inflate to somewhere between that setting and the one stamped
on the door jamb plaqcard. Too low inflation will destroy your mileage as
well as permanently damage your tires.

I assume your trying to get this mileage at 55MPH on the highway. If you
are doing any stop and go or doing 75MPH, then your mileage will suffer (but
this seems to be too excessive given your numbers).

One last comment and that is that when the engine "breaks in" (10-15K miles)
your highway mileage should increase by about 10% from when it is new.

> Could this really be something as simple as 'heavy-footing' it?

A heavy foot can certainly reduce your mileage by >10 percent.
..
Bob

Old October 25th 04, 06:01 PM
Bob Shuman

om...

Old October 25th 04, 06:01 PM
Mikhael47

with less than 3000m on it, would you expect this motor to be fully broken
in yet?

MPG's should start to increase as the rings become fully seated.

How exactly are you measuring the MPG?

Mike

om...

Old October 25th 04, 06:01 PM
Mikhael47

with less than 3000m on it, would you expect this motor to be fully broken
in yet?

MPG's should start to increase as the rings become fully seated.

How exactly are you measuring the MPG?

Mike

om...

Old October 25th 04, 10:12 PM
Gdt876

>I have a new (< 3000miles) 2004 Dodge Neon SXT (auto trans.). The
>sticker said the car should be getting 25-31 MPG. Unfortunately, I
>have yet to get anything above 22-23 regardless of my driving
>(city/highway/etc).

I've got a 2003 SXT with about 10,000 miles on it and I get the same mileage
as you. I only drive in the city though.