DAB Experiment Part 2

Old December 24th 04, 11:17 AM
Graeme Cosgrove

Default DAB Experiment Part 2

Got the DAB box this morning and fiited it in about 20mins. I attached
self-adhesive velcro to it and stuck it in the glove box. The J-Link cable
runs (discretely) from the glove box up into the center console and into the
back of the head unit. There were no power cables to connect in the end, as
the unit I got does run of the head unit's power, so it was even easier than
anticipated.

Powered it up and despite living in a village where (according to the BBC
website) "...DAB is not available..." I picked up a couple of channels
straight away. Radio 1 sounds pretty good (the quality of reception - not
the music) and a couple of talk radio stations are coming in loud and clear.
It's like the very best FM reception you can get.

To recap - the head unit is a JVC KD-SH55R and I have attached a JVC DAB
unit KT-DB1000. The aerial is a JVC DAF BAB1. I got the DB1000 for £50
from ebay, and the aerial was £40 from www.caraudidirect.com . I have
upgraded for less than £100 which is good vfm I think, and the key criteria
of "tidiness of installation" was easy to achive.

The whole task took me about forty five minutes, and you really cannot see
anything once it's all installed.

Driving up to Edinburgh for Christmas later today so I shall be getting the
co-pilot to programme in stations as we go!

Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year!

Old December 24th 04, 01:32 PM
Catman

Graeme Cosgrove wrote:

> Got the DAB box this morning and fiited it in about 20mins.

<snip>

Interesting. Letus know how the reception goes. I, personally, would be
looking for a single box solution.

> Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year!

And you

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 2.0 TS
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old December 26th 04, 05:10 PM
Graeme Cosgrove

Once we figured out the "ensemble" thing (all of BBC radio is trasmitted on
one DAB channel and you select the station you want from there) it's very
good. We've just got back from Edinburgh and apart from a few areas in the
borders we got excellent reception. The sound quality is fantastic.

For a £90 upgrade and less than an hour of my time I am very happy with it.
I think the one box solutions are starting at around £300 and since I only
put the JVC head unit in last year I wasn't about to change it. Once
there's 100% national coverage and the one box sets get to a reasonable
price I think that's the way t o go.

There's a later post from Neil G suggesting it's a rip off, and I must admit
the aerial didn't look like £40's worth. The list price of the tuner box is
£149.99 but like I said I got one from e-bay for £50, so I think I got my
money's worth!

Old December 27th 04, 11:46 AM
Catman

Graeme Cosgrove wrote:

> Once we figured out the "ensemble" thing (all of BBC radio is trasmitted
> on one DAB channel and you select the station you want from there)

Technically, you're spot on. Never seen a DAB that tunes like that though.

>it's
> very
> good. We've just got back from Edinburgh and apart from a few areas in
> the
> borders we got excellent reception. The sound quality is fantastic.

Shhh. DAB sounds worse tehn FM will hear you

> For a £90 upgrade and less than an hour of my time I am very happy with
> it. I think the one box solutions are starting at around £300 and since I
> only
> put the JVC head unit in last year I wasn't about to change it. Once
> there's 100% national coverage and the one box sets get to a reasonable
> price I think that's the way t o go.

Aye. You can get one boxes from Argos for about a ton now.

<snip>

Old December 27th 04, 03:46 PM
Graeme Cosgrove

I can get two "channels". One is the BBC radio "ensemble" and the other is
"oneDigital" commercial "ensemble". These are accessed by selecting DAB on
the head unit and then searching up or down (same as looking for an FM
station).

Once I tune into the BBC "ensemble" (is it me or is that a bit of a crap
word?) I can then access all the BBC stations 2 through to 7 (and World,
Asian, etc) using the "up/down" buttons on the head unit. Similaly all the
commercial stations are available from the main "station".

Maybe JVC are different to other manufacturers?

Old December 27th 04, 06:19 PM
Catman

Graeme Cosgrove wrote:

> I can get two "channels". One is the BBC radio "ensemble" and the other
> is
> "oneDigital" commercial "ensemble". These are accessed by selecting DAB
> on the head unit and then searching up or down (same as looking for an FM
> station).
>
> Once I tune into the BBC "ensemble" (is it me or is that a bit of a crap
> word?) I can then access all the BBC stations 2 through to 7 (and World,
> Asian, etc) using the "up/down" buttons on the head unit. Similaly all
> the commercial stations are available from the main "station".
>
> Maybe JVC are different to other manufacturers?

Dunno, but that sounds really odd. With my HiFi one you hit the tuning
button once to set it up. Then you ignore it. To select a channel, you
twiddle the 'tuning' knob until the station you want is displayed, then
press in the knob to go to that station. Mux [1] is not relevant, and in
fact not even visible unless you choose to access on of the extended
information modes
[1]AIUI the technical term for what I think you're referring to as
'ensemble'

Old December 27th 04, 07:02 PM
Graeme Cosgrove

Seems to work okay. Once you've saved the stations it doesn't matter
anyhow!

Still think it's "better" than FM tough. Must point out that I got no
reception of AM and FM was a bit buzzy before. Possibly due to aerial?

Need another project now...