Rubicon question

Old March 8th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Rubicon question

I've got a neighbor who has a Rubi. 2005 I think. He's getting ready to lift
it and put 35" tires on without a gear change. (not a choice I'd make but
non-the less). He's wondering what he can do to recalibrate the Speedo
without going to the stealership. I'd know what to do if he had a CJ. My
guess is he needs a computer reprogramming. True?
Thanks
Rich

Old March 8th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

He is going to have to buy a speedo gear from the dealership, according to
the ring and pinion gear he already has. I used this link to figure mine
out: http://www.raingler.com/tech/speedoChart.asp

Funny thing is that the parts guy at my dealership said I'd have to reflash
my computer but I bought the proper speedo gear anyway (he said it wouldn't
work). It does.

I really think its a bad idea not to change the gears with that size tire,
might be doable with 3.73 but my jeep had 3.07 with a manual transmission
when I went to 33's and it was so bad I didn't drive it until I could buy
the gears.

Troy

Old March 9th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Oh I totally agree with you about gear changing. My CJ7 has 33's and I'm
running 4:10 gears. They are about as high as I'd go with 33's. 4:56 would
be a better choice at a minimum for him. Some people have to find out for
themselves. He will. It s funny he's a nice guy, he comes to me for advice
all the time, but never takes it. Then finds out later I was right.... Go
figure.
You can lead a horse to water, but making him drink is his own decision,
eventually he'll get thirsty though.
Rich

. ..

Old March 9th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Replacing the speedo gear would hold true for any Wrangler except the
Rubicon. The Rubicon IIRC uses a tone ring and induction pickup in the
t-case for the speedo signal...remember, it uses a different Tcase than the
standard Wrangler. Hence, the computer probably *will* have to be
recalibrated. Or you can get a Superlift TruSpeed speedo recalibration unit,
but I think a trip to the dealer will probably be less expensive.

. ..

Old March 9th 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

O crap I wasn't thinking when I saw the RUBICON part, lol. He's running
4.11 gears (4.10?) either one of those two. I was gonna ask that but I just
got off work today and I'm tired. I've run 4.10's on my TJ with 33's, and
noticed when I was going up dunes or deep mud it'd bog a bit, so I upgraded
to 4.56's. I lost some top end but it feels like I can pull a tree out of
the ground now.

Troy

Old March 9th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Good info Matt... I didn't know that...

JimG

Old March 9th 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Thanks guys... I'll pass it on.
Rich

Old March 9th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

All Rubicons have 4.10's. 35's won't be too bad, 5th gear will lack power,
only be good for flat or down hill. I put the speedo gear in my TJ after
the gear change... worked great! Very easy to do.

--
JimG
80' CJ-7 258 CID, HEI

00' TJ Sport 4.0L, 5sp
4.56 Gears, TrueTrac rear
33" BFG AT on 15x8 Eagle Alloys
D35 Rear, D30 Front. 3" Suspension Lift
Warn X8000i

Old March 9th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I have 3.73 on my 2000 TJ with 33" and you can really tell it when you get
in the mud, or just doing a water crossing. Need to bump mine to 4.10's or
4.56's but don't have the money now. I will do the speedo recal then, right
now I just remind myself that it is going faster than it says and add about
2% when I have to use it for mileage on expense reports.

Tom

Old March 9th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

He will do the same thing you'd be doing -- switch the gear in the speed
sensor.

He ought to be able to find the speed sensor on the output of the tcase in
essentially the same place as on your CJ. The sensor spins around because it
is mounted on a gear that mates to something inside the tcase. Swap the gear
to recalibrate the speed sensor.