Honest mechanic?

Old June 16th 05, 02:44 PM
ray

Don Bruder wrote:
> In article >, "Bob" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
gin.umich.edu...

>>>Uh...you're joking, right? Prevailing shop rates for real mechanics at
>>>independent shops (not Taco Bell reject parts changers and quickie oil
>>>change parlor apes) average between $60 and $90/hr, US. Go to a dealer
>>>and you'll pay about 30% more than that.

>>>Well, then...do so!
>>>

>>That reminds me of one of my favorites, the guy who says: It shouldn't cost
>>much should it? I'd do it myself but just don't have the time. Like somehow
>>the fact he "could" do it himself should make the job cheaper.
>> Bob
>>

> As a recent example, about 4 days ago now, the boss's assistant at work
> needed her cig. lighter socket repaired so she could plug her spotlight
> into it when out on her route. Seems the old one had a burnt center
> contact.
>
> New cig. lighter socket at any parts place that has anything even
> remotely resembling a nodding aquaintance with realistic prices:
> $3.00-7.00 plus tax. Let's be generous and say $10.00, out the door.
>
> Time to put in - Variable by car, I'm sure, since this job needs to get
> to the back side of the dashboard - In her car, 15 minutes (based on her
> report of how long the car was in the hands of the mechanic). In mine,
> two screws and 30 seconds. Either way, obviously not a major task to
> accomplish.
>
> Tools required: Besides the screwdriver (Phillips) for mine, a pair of
> slip-joint pliers are useful, but not vital. Again, I acknowledge that
> milage varies by car/job, but since this is my only concrete data, I'll
> say $3 for the screwdriver, and $5 for the pliers - Both of which have
> been part of the toolkit and long since paid off for so long I can't
> even remember. Total expense so far, being generous and pretending I ran
> out to the store and bought the tools specifically for this job: $18.00
>
> Someplace to do the job: It sure doesn't require a 6 liftbay/greasepit
> garage to swap a lighter socket... (yes, I realize there are jobs that
> DO require special facilities and/or hardware. That ain't this case.)
>

> Her final bill for the job: $92.73, big as life and twice as ugly down
> there in the "total amount due" box.
>
> Versus $18 plus "throw me some gas money"
>
> What kind of horse**** is that? I mean other than "We saw that little
> ol' lady coming, and by god, we fleeced her for all she was worth!"

I'm assuming when you go somewhere for breakfast you pay only the cost
of two eggs from the grocery store and a slice of bread. Not.

I'm a DIY-er... and I have run a computer consulting business. As a
result, I no longer flinch at the $80/hour shop rates... because the
rest is overhead.

Yeah, some places fleece you. I'm not paying a plumber $100/hour
anymore... I've decided to buy a snake for next time my plumbing is
broken... but it'll probably cost me $1000.

Oh... and for some stupid reason, you CAN'T change the lighter on my
Trans Am without a special tool. I know this from disassembling my
console with the shop manual.

Ray
Old June 16th 05, 02:48 PM
ray

JHI wrote:
> This is a copy of my original post "Can anyone recommend an honest mechanic
> who does what needs to be done and
> does it correctly". I never said anything about costs. The going rate in
> my area is about $70 per hour which is fair as long as what is done really
> needs to be done.

If you lived in Winnipeg I could.
My co-worker has a good mechanic. I don't think he's great, but he
seems pretty good... I guess it would help if my co-worker stopped
buying POS Ford products.
(My solution every time his car breaks - if you woulda bought a Camaro I
could help you...)

Ray
Old June 16th 05, 04:02 PM
Comboverfish

Shep wrote:

>Every day is like " walking on a razor blade
>in a thunderstorm"

That sounds slightly better than walking on a razorblade in dry weather
conditions, but still painful.

Old June 16th 05, 04:50 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Don Bruder wrote:

> As a recent example, about 4 days ago now, the boss's assistant at work
> needed her cig. lighter socket repaired so she could plug her spotlight
> into it when out on her route. Seems the old one had a burnt center
> contact. Tools required: Besides the screwdriver (Phillips) for mine, a
> pair of slip-joint pliers are useful, but not vital. Her final bill for
> the job: $92.73, big as life and twice as ugly down there in the "total
> amount due" box. Versus $18 plus "throw me some gas money"

So why didn't *you* offer to do it for $18 plus gas money? For that
matter, why don't *you* open up a $20/hr auto shop? If your little
theories are as right as you think they are, you ought to make a killing
in a very big hurry.
Old June 16th 05, 07:43 PM
Don Bruder

In article ich.edu>,
"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Don Bruder wrote:
>
> > As a recent example, about 4 days ago now, the boss's assistant at work
> > needed her cig. lighter socket repaired so she could plug her spotlight
> > into it when out on her route. Seems the old one had a burnt center
> > contact. Tools required: Besides the screwdriver (Phillips) for mine, a
> > pair of slip-joint pliers are useful, but not vital. Her final bill for
> > the job: $92.73, big as life and twice as ugly down there in the "total
> > amount due" box. Versus $18 plus "throw me some gas money"

> So why didn't *you* offer to do it for $18 plus gas money?

Can't offer to fix something that one doesn't know is broken.

> For that
> matter, why don't *you* open up a $20/hr auto shop? If your little
> theories are as right as you think they are, you ought to make a killing
> in a very big hurry.

Might be a good idea. I've been kicking something like that around in my
head for a year or so now, trying to decide if I feel like going for it.

We shall see, I guess...

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html> for full details.
Old June 16th 05, 11:14 PM

ray wrote:
> Don Bruder wrote:
> > In article >, "Bob" >
> > wrote:
> >

> >>"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
> gin.umich.edu...

> I'm a DIY-er... and I have run a computer consulting business. As a
> result, I no longer flinch at the $80/hour shop rates... because the
> rest is overhead.
>
> Yeah, some places fleece you. I'm not paying a plumber $100/hour
> anymore... I've decided to buy a snake for next time my plumbing is
> broken... but it'll probably cost me $1000.

Just had the plumber people out today.. deep well pump went out. I'm
running around at 05:30 with a multimeter troubleshooting.. pump is a
220v unit. When I measured 12 amps on one hot leg, zero amps on the
other hot leg, and 12 amps on the ground wire (all this at the wellcap)
I knew it was time to have the pump pulled.

Tools required were t-handle, crimper, torch for the heat shrink, PVC
cutter, wire stripper, and knife.

Labor rate was $125/hr.

The local farm tractor dealer is around $80/hr.

Now... GeekSquad prices.. in home service..

to install a drive - CD, DVD or HD = $159
Memory install = $129
OS install = $229
Single title software install = $129
To add a computer to your network = $129
Virus removal = $159

I'm in the wrong field..

Jim

Old June 16th 05, 11:24 PM

> > For that
> > matter, why don't *you* open up a $20/hr auto shop? If your little
> > theories are as right as you think they are, you ought to make a killing
> > in a very big hurry.

> Might be a good idea. I've been kicking something like that around in my
> head for a year or so now, trying to decide if I feel like going for it.
>
> We shall see, I guess...

I think you really need to do this.. but if you do, make sure you have
all your licenses, permits, etc, etc.. just like a shop would. Don't be
a backyard mechanic.

Jim

Old June 16th 05, 11:34 PM

JHI wrote:
> This is a copy of my original post "Can anyone recommend an honest mechanic
> who does what needs to be done and
> does it correctly". I never said anything about costs. The going rate in
> my area is about $70 per hour which is fair as long as what is done really
> needs to be done.

Sorry about the thread drift, but this is a problem that has been
happening for a long time with the auto repair industry.. nobody trusts
anyone. The 'exposed' type stories on the news don't help either. As in
every field, there are good ones and bad ones. As I mentioned in an
earlier post, I had my deep well pump replaced today. The difference
between the setup on the old pump and new pump included things like the
new having a torque arrestor, centering guides, and heat shrink on all
connections.. unlike the old pump setup, which was a 30 lb pump
swinging on the end of 150 feet of PVC.. no torque arrestor, no
centering guides, no heat shrink on the ground connection.. etc.

When you do find someone you trust, treat them well and they will
hopefully return the favor. You might also see if your local community
colleges offer a 'learn about your car' class, which would help you
learn more about it, and what it takes to repair it.

Regards,

Jim

4.0L wrangler: Replace a manifold myself or have a mechanic do it? [email protected] Jeep 10 March 28th 05 04:02 PM
Auto A/C Mechanic TRB Technology 0 February 16th 05 06:51 PM
can any good mechanic in west of Boston, MA? megrp BMW 2 October 26th 04 06:43 PM
Is My Mechanic Treating Me Fairly - Is This His Problem or Mine? mwdcanuck General 0 October 13th 04 07:19 PM
So I think my mechanic ruined my engine... Tim Williams General 2 September 3rd 04 02:15 AM