Dreaded P0442, P0455 on '02 TJ Sport

Old May 24th 05, 11:27 PM
Mike Romain

That is the plastic CCV line Jeff, I gave him the parts list.

Mike

Old May 25th 05, 12:25 AM
JELo

> You have a leak in the gas cap, or the gas cap is missing.
>
> 0442 = Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)
> 0455 = Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak)
>

> I would not even consider the cause for the 442, and focus my attention on
> the 455. After all, a small leak is only a small leak until it is a big
> leak, but a big leak is a small leak in the beginning. My guess is that your
> cap is not being put on well, or it has a diaphram of sorts inside that is
> failing or has failed. either way, you need a gas cap. If you have a locking
> gas cap, take it off and leave it at home for a couple of weeks while you
> use the factory gas cap, or any other gas cap for that matter. Clear the
> code and replace the cap, and see if the code comes back. I don't think it
> will, and then you can spend the Family Fortune, or your kid's college fund,
> and buy a new locking gas cap.

I am the only one who drives this thing so
I can't blame it on the wife this time . . .
but I did notice that the cap 'ratchets' way
too easily. So I suspect it is not sealing
properly. Never wore out a gas cap before!?

So I pulled the line that comes from the gas
tank and attaches to the charcoal canister
in the engine compartment and connected a
little tire pump to it. With the pump running,
sometimes the line and tank would hold
pressure when I screwed the gas cap on
and sometimes it wouldn't. So that may
be the culprit. Hmmmmmm

Thanks for the ideas, I'll check the other
hoses too. JELo '02 TJ Sport

Old May 25th 05, 12:40 AM
Jeff Strickland

"JELo" > wrote in message
> > You have a leak in the gas cap, or the gas cap is missing.
> >
> > 0442 = Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)
> > 0455 = Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak)
> >

> > I would not even consider the cause for the 442, and focus my attention

on
> > the 455. After all, a small leak is only a small leak until it is a big
> > leak, but a big leak is a small leak in the beginning. My guess is that

your
> > cap is not being put on well, or it has a diaphram of sorts inside that

is
> > failing or has failed. either way, you need a gas cap. If you have a

locking
> > gas cap, take it off and leave it at home for a couple of weeks while

you
> > use the factory gas cap, or any other gas cap for that matter. Clear the
> > code and replace the cap, and see if the code comes back. I don't think

it
> > will, and then you can spend the Family Fortune, or your kid's college

fund,
> > and buy a new locking gas cap.

> I am the only one who drives this thing so
> I can't blame it on the wife this time . . .
> but I did notice that the cap 'ratchets' way
> too easily. So I suspect it is not sealing
> properly. Never wore out a gas cap before!?
>
> So I pulled the line that comes from the gas
> tank and attaches to the charcoal canister
> in the engine compartment and connected a
> little tire pump to it. With the pump running,
> sometimes the line and tank would hold
> pressure when I screwed the gas cap on
> and sometimes it wouldn't. So that may
> be the culprit. Hmmmmmm
>
> Thanks for the ideas, I'll check the other
> hoses too. JELo '02 TJ Sport

In any case, limit your search for now to physical leaks and forget about
sensors and crap like that. The code(s) you are getting are the same fault
in varying severities, when you find the gaping hole and fix it, the code
for the minor leak will go away.

You are aware that you can check out the code reader from the auto parts
store and reset the codes, right? At least you can use the code reader for
free in the Once Great State of California, now known as the People's
Republik of Kaleefornia. You can buy one on eBay for about $75.

Old May 25th 05, 03:57 AM
mic canic

as many i replace in a week i'm shocked they had to order it we have a
least one for each model

Old May 25th 05, 04:01 AM
mic canic

ccv is different than the evaperative system and they do no connect to each other
check around the vapor cannister for cracked hoses

Old May 25th 05, 04:03 AM
mic canic

look for rust in the gas cap center hole on the white part and if there is any
it's bad

Old May 25th 05, 03:48 PM
JELo

Out here in the boonies (north central Wyoming),
Jeep is a sideline for the local GMC dealership and
they'd really rather sell you a GM product so they
don't stock much in the way of Jeep stuff. JELo

Old May 25th 05, 03:59 PM
JELo

> > > You have a leak in the gas cap, or the gas cap is missing.
> > >
> > > 0442 = Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)
> > > 0455 = Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak)
> > >

> > > I would not even consider the cause for the 442, and focus my

attention
> on
> > > the 455. After all, a small leak is only a small leak until it is a

big
> > > leak, but a big leak is a small leak in the beginning. My guess is

that
> your
> > > cap is not being put on well, or it has a diaphram of sorts inside

that
> is
> > > failing or has failed. either way, you need a gas cap. If you have a

> locking
> > > gas cap, take it off and leave it at home for a couple of weeks while

> you
> > > use the factory gas cap, or any other gas cap for that matter. Clear

the
> > > code and replace the cap, and see if the code comes back. I don't

think
> it
> > > will, and then you can spend the Family Fortune, or your kid's college

> fund,
> > > and buy a new locking gas cap.

> > I am the only one who drives this thing so
> > I can't blame it on the wife this time . . .
> > but I did notice that the cap 'ratchets' way
> > too easily. So I suspect it is not sealing
> > properly. Never wore out a gas cap before!?
> >
> > So I pulled the line that comes from the gas
> > tank and attaches to the charcoal canister
> > in the engine compartment and connected a
> > little tire pump to it. With the pump running,
> > sometimes the line and tank would hold
> > pressure when I screwed the gas cap on
> > and sometimes it wouldn't. So that may
> > be the culprit. Hmmmmmm
> >
> > Thanks for the ideas, I'll check the other
> > hoses too. JELo '02 TJ Sport

> In any case, limit your search for now to physical leaks and forget about
> sensors and crap like that. The code(s) you are getting are the same fault
> in varying severities, when you find the gaping hole and fix it, the code
> for the minor leak will go away.

Have looked and looked and I can't seem to find
anything that even looks like it could be a hose
related problem. At only 22K miles, everything
under the hood still looks realy good. I'm going
to keep looking though.

> You are aware that you can check out the code reader from the auto parts
> store and reset the codes, right? At least you can use the code reader for
> free in the Once Great State of California, now known as the People's
> Republik of Kaleefornia. You can buy one on eBay for about $75.

I did get one off of Ebay a while back and it has
proved useful in a few situations. At least now I
can erase the codes without having to reprogram
the radio!

Thanks to all for the help, JELo