Question for the group...

Old March 4th 05, 04:49 AM
XS11E

Default Question for the group...

The Miata replaced the BMW R100RT because I'm not able to ride anymore
and can't walk very far due to arthritis in my lower back, knees, hips,
etc..

Because of that, I've got one of those pretty blue handicap tags to
hang on my rear view mirror when I park in a handicap space. FWIW,
Arizona will issue only one handicap plate and since I have more than
one car I need the tag instead so I can move it from car to car so....

How can I display it on the Miata w/o it being stolen? If I leave it
on the mirror it'll be gone in a couple of minutes and I'll get a $200
ticket for parking in a handicap zone plus having to pay a fee to get a
new tag. If I don't display it, I have to park elsewhere and walk to
the store which is painful on some days and impossible on others.

Any ideas would be much appreciated but I'm afraid it's not possible?

Old March 4th 05, 04:56 AM
Generic

Punch a hole and use a small loop of cable through the steering wheel like a
mini bike lock.

Glue it to the dash. I'm thinking of the rubbery glue that can be peeled off
without damage. It should be enough to surprise anyone going for a quick
snatch.

-John

Old March 4th 05, 05:29 AM
XS11E

"Generic" > wrote in
m:

> Punch a hole and use a small loop of cable through the steering
> wheel like a mini bike lock.

You may have the fix. I'd have to laminate it into a heavy plastic
block, it's just a piece of cardboard (but a really pretty blue color!)
and would tear easily if not sealed in something...

> Glue it to the dash. I'm thinking of the rubbery glue that can be
> peeled off without damage. It should be enough to surprise anyone
> going for a quick snatch.

Don't know about that, very few glues wouldn't leave some kind of
residue that might stick to something in the door pocket of my other
car (such as registration, insurance card, etc..)

I like the first idea better! Since the tag is good for 5 years
laminating it wouldn't be expensive, I'll have to look into it.

I'd still have to hang it on the mirror, the tonneau cover hides the
steering wheel but the mirror mount seems fairly solid... enough to
stop the casual thief.

Arizona used to issue a decal, that would be ideal.

Old March 4th 05, 05:49 AM
gixer

I have a similar problem with my work parking pass.
The easiest solution I have found is just to push the tag as far down the
windscreen as you can, the tag's we are given are only as thick as card, you
can really get it wedged between the dash and windscreen.
Then I just wind up the windows, for anyone trying to steal it they have to
climb into the car, which would set off my alarm.
It's worked so far, but then the crime rate over here is extremely low.

The disabled parking tags in the UK have your car reg, so its non
transferable, dip your bread while you can mate.

Old March 4th 05, 05:59 AM
Generic

"gixer" > wrote in message
> I have a similar problem with my work parking pass.
> The easiest solution I have found is just to push the tag as far down the
> windscreen as you can, the tag's we are given are only as thick as card,

you
> can really get it wedged between the dash and windscreen.
> Then I just wind up the windows, for anyone trying to steal it they have

> climb into the car, which would set off my alarm.
> It's worked so far, but then the crime rate over here is extremely low.
>
> The disabled parking tags in the UK have your car reg, so its non
> transferable, dip your bread while you can mate.

Crime rates in the US have been lower than the UK for some time, with the
exception of murder.

-John

Old March 4th 05, 06:30 AM
BRUCE HASKIN

XS11E,

YOU CAN'T !

I too have that problem. I chose to put the Lic. plate on my Miata and
use the Blue Tag on a car that I could lock when my tag was being used.
There just isn't any way to use the Blue Tag on a car with the top down.

Bruce RED '91

Old March 4th 05, 11:56 AM
Tom Howlin

BRUCE HASKIN wrote:
> XS11E,
>
> YOU CAN'T !
>
> I too have that problem. I chose to put the Lic. plate on my Miata and
> use the Blue Tag on a car that I could lock when my tag was being used.
> There just isn't any way to use the Blue Tag on a car with the top down.
>
> Bruce RED '91

I've also noticed that the officers of the law really read the blue tag
when they see a Miata in a handicap zone. I have a tag for when I'm
carting my 87 year old mum around and have come back out with her to
find an officer reading the back of the tag - one time he was actually
in the car reading it. Couldn't fathom that a Miata owner might have
need of a handicap spot and actually wanted ID from my mum to prove she
was the one listed on the back of the tag. Less attention paid to a
murder scene!

Tom
92 Red (gone but not forgotten)
05 Vette (red, but of course)

Old March 4th 05, 01:15 PM
Randy Maheux

I've used a hang tag in my Miata daily. For short stops with the top down
(grocery, etc.) I just hang it on the mirror. Most handicap parking spots
are right by the door to the store and I've felt that the number of people
going in and out would deter theft. For longer stops or parking spots more
remote to foot traffic, I just put the top up.

As you might guess, when I might have to put the top up for parking, I don't
use the boot (for shame, I know!). It has worked OK for 4+ years and the
inside of the top hasn't faded very much. ( have thought about a headliner
to protect the inside of the top, though....)

FWIW, I store my hang tag by sliding it up between the carpet and the bottom
edge of the console. It is mostly out of sight there but is still readily
accessible.

Old March 4th 05, 02:40 PM
XS11E

"Randy Maheux" > wrote in

> I've used a hang tag in my Miata daily.

Just out of curiosity, where do you live? Maybe nobody would steal it?