Radio question.

Old March 2nd 05, 02:40 PM
pltrgyst

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:02:54 GMT, pws > wrote:

> The only people that I have ever been a rider with who did not have a
>working stereo in their car (that they also used with some regularity)
>were people who had either had it stolen, had it quit working, or were
>driving a dedicated track car. In all but the latter case, the person
>wanted it replaced or fixed.

Guess I'm in the minority. My 95 R had its radio stolen about three years ago;
since then, I've been happy with the music of the Borla... 8_

-- Larry

Old March 2nd 05, 02:46 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article >, "gixer" >
wrote:

> It's not as though you can hear the radio anyway through those bloody ear
> plugs.

Heh, good one, Mark. But not true--my earplugs filter out most of the
bass and roll off the top end (as designed), but it's actually easier to
hear the lyrics, and I don't have to crank up the volume, either.

But in general, only my wife uses the radio. There's nothing on it
anymore that I want to hear. OTOH, I can listen to my loud FM Duals all
day...and do.

I don't even know if the cassette player works--in 8 years, it's never
been used.

--
Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
'94C
Old March 2nd 05, 03:25 PM
pws

Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article >, "gixer" >
> wrote:
>

>>It's not as though you can hear the radio anyway through those bloody ear
>>plugs.
>>

> Heh, good one, Mark. But not true--my earplugs filter out most of the
> bass and roll off the top end (as designed), but it's actually easier to
> hear the lyrics, and I don't have to crank up the volume, either.
>
> But in general, only my wife uses the radio. There's nothing on it
> anymore that I want to hear. OTOH, I can listen to my loud FM Duals all
> day...and do.
>
> I don't even know if the cassette player works--in 8 years, it's never
> been used.

I agree that there is not much on the radio that I want to listen to
anymore, but I want my stereo/CD player/possibly MP3 player. No thanks
on the cassette player.

My exhaust is also pleasing to hear, somewhat quieted by the turbo but
still plenty loud at 3 inches all the way back including the cat.
Sometimes I turn the stereo on, sometimes I leave it off, the option is
nice. I drove a car alone with a broken stereo on a 400 mile trip and
found it to be a less pleasant drive than if it had worked. To each
their own, I was just pointing out that most people want a stereo so
that they can listen to more than just their exhaust note, no matter
what it sounds like.
I am sure that a poll would agree with this, otherwise we would see
posts about people taking out their radios, complaining about the
automatic feature that they are in a miata, etc., instead of asking how
to fix and replace them.

Pat
Old March 2nd 05, 03:47 PM
pws

pltrgyst wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:02:54 GMT, pws > wrote:
>

>> The only people that I have ever been a rider with who did not have a
>>working stereo in their car (that they also used with some regularity)
>>were people who had either had it stolen, had it quit working, or were
>>driving a dedicated track car. In all but the latter case, the person
>>wanted it replaced or fixed.

> Guess I'm in the minority. My 95 R had its radio stolen about three years ago;
> since then, I've been happy with the music of the Borla... 8_
>
> -- Larry

Just having a 95 R puts you in the minority. Do you have A/C? Buying a
daily driver in Texas that intentionally had a working A/C system
removed definitely puts me in the minority here as well. :-)

Pat
'91 turbo (no A/C and no P/S)
Old March 2nd 05, 03:49 PM
XS11E

pws > wrote in
news
> I agree that there is not much on the radio that I want to listen
> to anymore

Traffic reports, they've saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

Old March 2nd 05, 06:51 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> I was just pointing out that most people want a stereo so
> that they can listen to more than just their exhaust note, no matter
> what it sounds like.
> I am sure that a poll would agree with this

Sure it would. I'm just not part of the iPod generation. I don't need to
hear constant background music to keep from getting bored.

There are three main reasons why car radios don't interest me:

1. My living room stereo long ago reached a level of quality that has
has spoiled me for car radios (or Walkmen/iPods/MP3).

b. The classical music I prefer is too dynamic to play in a noisy car.

iii. In a convertible, cranking up the radio to be heard over the wind
is pretty much a guarantee of permanent hearing loss. Except with
earplugs, but that's another thread... :-)

--
Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
'94C
Old March 2nd 05, 07:33 PM
pws

Lanny Chambers wrote:

> Sure it would. I'm just not part of the iPod generation. I don't need to
> hear constant background music to keep from getting bored.
>
> There are three main reasons why car radios don't interest me:
>
> 1. My living room stereo long ago reached a level of quality that has
> has spoiled me for car radios (or Walkmen/iPods/MP3).
>
> b. The classical music I prefer is too dynamic to play in a noisy car.
>
> iii. In a convertible, cranking up the radio to be heard over the wind
> is pretty much a guarantee of permanent hearing loss. Except with
> earplugs, but that's another thread... :-)

I am not sure if I am part of the "iPod generation" or not, but I am
certain that you don't have to be in order to enjoy a stereo in a car,
be it a convertible or not. People have enjoyed their radios in their
convertibles long before iPod or MP3's came about.
From my previous post, "Sometimes I turn the stereo on, sometimes I
leave it off, the option is nice." How does this translate into constant
background music for you? Do you always have the stereo in your living
room turned on? That kind of constant background music at home would
drive me nuts, unless of course, you turn it off once in a while like
most people.

Pat
Old March 2nd 05, 08:38 PM
Tom

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:02:54 GMT, pws > wrote:

> The only people that I have ever been a rider with who did not have a
>working stereo in their car (that they also used with some regularity)
>were people who had either had it stolen, had it quit working, or were
>driving a dedicated track car. In all but the latter case, the person
>wanted it replaced or fixed.
>
>Pat

I had two 323's and neither had a radio nor A/C. If my 02 miata would
have been available without either or both I wouldn't have them in the
miata either.

I live in Central California so it's not like I live in some mild
climate. Back when I had the 323's I would run to Laughlin or Primm,
Nv. as ofen as I got the chance. The stretch from Barstow to Needles
would weed out the weak ones when it came to repeat performances.

Old March 2nd 05, 09:15 PM
XS11E

Tom > wrote in
:

> I had two 323's and neither had a radio nor A/C. If my 02 miata
> would have been available without either or both I wouldn't have
> them in the miata either.

I wouldn't need the AC here in Phoenix if I was 50 again but as I get
older.....

Old March 2nd 05, 10:52 PM
Tom

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:15:42 -0700, XS11E >
wrote:

>I wouldn't need the AC here in Phoenix if I was 50 again but as I get
>older.....

AC plays hell with my sinus....to be cool isn't enough payoff for
being all dried up with a splitting headache when I get to where I'm
going.

It seems the older I get (on the darkside of 50) the more welcome the
heat is.