Disabling the console trunk release

Old March 2nd 05, 10:23 PM
XS11E

Default Disabling the console trunk release

Since I can't lock my center console, this seemed like a very good idea
but I'm unable to remove the lock?

http://www.miata.net/garage/techtrunk1.html

It says: "Two bolts hold the lock in place, remove them with a 10mm
socket. The lock should now be free. The easiest way to remove the
cylinder is to first remove the tag light assembly closest to the lock
cylinder. From inside the trunk remove the three 10mm nuts holding the
tag light assembly in place. Pull the tag light straight back into the
trunk. You should now be able to reach through the hole left where the
tag light was to help pull the lock cylinder out."

I can't do this, the lock is jammed solidly between the rear panel and
the inner panel. I can wiggle it but there no room to get it out? Has
anyone done this? What am I missing?

Help please?

Old March 3rd 05, 01:11 AM
Chuck

The Plastic rear bumper is flexable. You can gently wedge it out enough to
remove and replace the lock. (Asuming the bumper has not gotten hard and
brittle from age and sun.) Alternately, you might think about loosening the
bumper mounting bolts. Once out modifying the lock is simple if you pay
attention to the garage article.
You may have problems getting the lock and a foam? gasket back in place. I
finally omitted the gasket, and things went back together nicely. (99)

Old March 3rd 05, 01:19 AM
XS11E

"Chuck" > wrote in

> The Plastic rear bumper is flexable. You can gently wedge it out
> enough to remove and replace the lock. (Asuming the bumper has not
> gotten hard and brittle from age and sun.) Alternately, you might
> think about loosening the bumper mounting bolts. Once out
> modifying the lock is simple if you pay attention to the garage
> article. You may have problems getting the lock and a foam? gasket
> back in place. I finally omitted the gasket, and things went back
> together nicely. (99)

Since I posted, I found removal is easy, all that's needed is brute
strength and stupidity and I have some of each so... it's out! It's
modified! I can't get it back in but my back is now hurting so bad I'm
through for the day and will try pushing out the bumper tomorrow.
Thanks for the info, I'll get it done some how!

BTW, that gasket had the lock stuck firmly in place, I couldn't move
it. Finally put both screws back in a few turns and pushed on them, it
popped loose and I was able pry it out.

Old March 3rd 05, 01:43 AM
Leon van Dommelen

XS11E > wrote:

>Since I can't lock my center console, this seemed like a very good idea
>but I'm unable to remove the lock?
>
>http://www.miata.net/garage/techtrunk1.html
>
>It says: "Two bolts hold the lock in place, remove them with a 10mm
>socket. The lock should now be free. The easiest way to remove the
>cylinder is to first remove the tag light assembly closest to the lock
>cylinder. From inside the trunk remove the three 10mm nuts holding the
>tag light assembly in place. Pull the tag light straight back into the
>trunk. You should now be able to reach through the hole left where the
>tag light was to help pull the lock cylinder out."
>
>I can't do this, the lock is jammed solidly between the rear panel and
>the inner panel. I can wiggle it but there no room to get it out? Has
>anyone done this? What am I missing?

Did you look at the comments on http://www.miata.net/garage/techtrunk.html

Leon

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old March 3rd 05, 01:47 AM
XS11E

(Leon van Dommelen) wrote in
news
> Did you look at the comments on

http://www.miata.net/garage/techtrunk.html

Thanks, I missed that! I think some of those tips will get it done for
me.

Now it's off to SWMBO for a delicious home cooked meal and I'm going to
try and finagle a back massage!

Old March 3rd 05, 06:33 AM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
(Leon van Dommelen) wrote:

> Did you look at the comments on
http://www.miata.net/garage/techtrunk.html

Just so. For me, the winner was loosening the right taillight assembly
so the trim panel could be pried out farther.

This is a great mod.

--
Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
'94C
Old March 3rd 05, 03:56 PM
Leon van Dommelen

Lanny Chambers > wrote:

>This is a great mod.

Only if you trust yourself to lock the trunk each time.

Old March 3rd 05, 07:16 PM
XS11E

Lanny Chambers > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> (Leon van Dommelen) wrote:
>
>> Did you look at the comments on

http://www.miata.net/garage/techtrunk.html

> Just so. For me, the winner was loosening the right taillight
> assembly so the trim panel could be pried out farther.
>
> This is a great mod.

Yes, it works and I'm pleased with it.

Personally, I believe the instructions are incorrect, the very first
step should be to disconnect and remove the right taillight assembly
completely. This leaves a very large hole that one can reach through,
grab the release rod and pull it to release the trunk if it should be
closed accidentally. Next, right above the right taillight and just
above and to the right of the lock is one nut that holds the right most
upper end of the fascia, it can be removed, the license plate removed,
the two screws hidden by the plate removed and then the fascia can be
pulled very easily away an inch or more making removal and replacement
of the lock and easy task.

Old March 3rd 05, 07:20 PM
XS11E

As I posted before, it's done!

I just wanted to say how much I appreciate the help I've got from this
newsgroup, couldn't have done it w/o you!

Old March 3rd 05, 08:53 PM
Phil

XS11E wrote:
> Personally, I believe the instructions are incorrect, the very first
> step should be to disconnect and remove the right taillight assembly
> completely. This leaves a very large hole that one can reach

through,
> grab the release rod and pull it to release the trunk if it should be

> closed accidentally. Next, right above the right taillight and just
> above and to the right of the lock is one nut that holds the right

most
> upper end of the fascia, it can be removed, the license plate

removed,
> the two screws hidden by the plate removed and then the fascia can be

> pulled very easily away an inch or more making removal and

replacement
> of the lock and easy task.

I agree, that is how I did mine. Caution: Only problem I had was the
spring that closes the 'door' for the keyhole. It was rusty and
snapped when I was trying to asseble the lock. Luckily, my dad had a
collection of small springs and I was able to modify one to work.

- Phil