Prices to regear to lower gears

Old March 2nd 05, 01:26 PM
Ben

Default Prices to regear to lower gears

I am slowly working an getting my Jeep back on the road and one thing leads
to another.. Like upgrade ideas, improvements, ect.. I was wondering what
the average price is to regear to lower gear ratio... I have 4.10 in it now
and would like to go with 4.56 or 4.88 so I can run 33 or 35 tires and still
be able to use 5th gear.. I am going to call around today at some of the
local 4x4 shops and see what they charge.. But I would like to get an idea
of price so I can tell if I am being ripped off or not...

Thanks as always.. This group has been great for info and support..

Ben
95 YJ 2.5L

Old March 2nd 05, 05:41 PM
Jerry Bransford

My last regearing was $1087 but that, at least here in the San Diego
area, was a better than usual deal. Skip over the 4.56 and go right to
4.88. There's not enough difference between your current 4.10 and 4.56
to warrant spending that much money. Besides, 4.88 is perfect for 33"
tires with your four-banger. I don't think I'd try 35" tires though.

Jerry

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old March 2nd 05, 05:42 PM
JimG

I recently paid $350 at a local shop to have gears installed in my TJ. I
bought the gears and install kits myself from the likes of Randy's R&P and
Quadratec. Check prices online for comparison to your local shop... they
may mark them up also. You should go all the way to 4.88 gears (I think
that's the limit in the Dana 35) with your 4 cylinder. I have a friend with
a 4 cyl YJ, 33's, and 4.56 gears that is not at all happy with his power and
5th gear use.

--
JimG
80' CJ-7 258 CID, HEI

00' TJ Sport 4.0L, 5sp
4.56 Gears, TrueTrac rear
33" BFG AT on 15x8 Eagle Alloys
D35 Rear, D30 Front. 3" Suspension Lift

Old March 2nd 05, 08:54 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Ben,
Please take picture of your exploded Dana 35c and send them to me,
so I may add them to my site at: http://www.billhughes.com/dana35c/
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old March 2nd 05, 09:22 PM
Ben

Hey Bill,
I will do that when I get the time.. Between work and family.. It has
been hard to get things done...

Ben
95 YJ 2.5L

Old March 2nd 05, 09:26 PM
Ben

Well.. I just got a quote from a local 4x4 shop.. Here is what they sent me
via email..

gears 200.00/bearings&seals 105.00 labor1000. total w/tax on parts 1646.60

WAY TOO HIGH!!!!

I am going to shop around for prices..

Ben
95 YJ 2.5L

Old March 2nd 05, 09:54 PM
JimG

Yep that's high... as I recall, I have about $900 in mine which included a
Detroit TruTac in the rear.

JimG

Old March 2nd 05, 10:00 PM
Mike Romain

That's a pile of money just to have an overdrive gear...

I get the same mileage as I used to before the big tires by just not
using 5th.... Suits me fine, one less shift to mess with.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 2nd 05, 10:48 PM
RoyJ

Somwehere around $1200 for both axles is the going price around here.
Gears, seals, and labor. Bearings are extra, not a bad idea if your axle
has high mileage.

Don't bother with the 4.56:1, one step up is just not economic.

Old March 2nd 05, 10:55 PM
Ben

Yeah Mike,
I agree with you... I am running 4.10s now and to regear is too
expensive.. Atleast until my rich uncle dies.. LOL.. Wait!! I don't have any
rich uncles... For that kind of money I can use it for a winch, new bumpers,
or whatever else I can think of...

Ben
95 YJ 2.5L