I need a better winter car...

Old March 2nd 05, 02:05 PM
Snow

Then clean your windows of BEFORE you venture out and use the wiper delay to
keep it clear.. oh and also clean of your head and tail lights too..

Snow...

Old March 2nd 05, 03:45 PM
Bradburn Fentress

"Max" > wrote in message news:422517ba$1_4@aeinews....

> Heh... My Saab, I can drive through snowbanks taller than the car

No you can't........heh

Old March 2nd 05, 03:47 PM
Bradburn Fentress

Of course that is bull****.....heh

Old March 2nd 05, 04:01 PM
Bradburn Fentress

"Somebody" > wrote in message

>> Like almost anything to do with stuck cars, it generally has little
>> importance what they are driving.....bad drivers can get stuck in almost

> any
>> car they drive, and good drivers can manage to move safely no matter how
>> difficult the vehicle they seem to be piloting.

> On days like those, I've kept count of what types of cars are populating
> the
> ditches, and given up. Everything from rice rockets to Euro sedans to
> SUVs
> to pickup trucks. No patterns have been observable from my seat.

That is 100% correct. When the vehicle ends up in a ditch, and hasn't been
forced their by another car, it is almost always the drivers fault. In most
cases they drove in a manner unfit for the conditions. And despite the
electronic wizardry of the day, and the wonderful tire choices we get, it
hardly matters much if you don't or can't drive "down" to the ambient
conditions.

My BMW's have always been quite good in the snow if driven properly. They
don't match my Jeeps or my pickup, but they do quite well if I drive as good
as the car is for the conditions I am driving in. As has been mentioned here
before, with most cars clearance is the great equalizer even if you have 4
or AWD and the best snows money can buy.

The guy here who talks about driving his Saab thru snowbanks taller than the
car.........well, my bet is that he's seen a few ditches in his time :^)

Old March 2nd 05, 04:51 PM
Cartlon Shew

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 01:47:25 GMT, Ulf > wrote:

>> Why not move where it doesn't ****ing snow so bloody much?

>I actually doesn't snow that much here, but when it rains, it pours...

Yeah, right - then why are you considering getting a different car?
Old March 2nd 05, 07:44 PM
Corey Shuman

Cruisers, seriously... well, at the risk of trolling I would venture
that a stock Rangie would eat a stock Cruiser for breakfast. and if you
are going out of country, look to the Australian Rovers.
I will digress with this though, vehicle capability is limited by the
driver, a good driver in a bad 4x will go farther that a bad driver in
a good 4x.

Old March 2nd 05, 08:28 PM
Larry Bud

Ulf wrote:
> My '86 BMW 323 is really a crappy winter car. Sure, it handles great,

> but I get stuck everywhere! Today, I got stuck *twice* within a

couple
> of minutes. Same scenario, hit a snowdrift and snow goes flying onto

the
> windshield. I brake because I can't see anything, and then I'm

stuck... :-(

> First time, notice how little snow it actually takes:
>
> http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw1.jpg
> http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw2.jpg
>
> Second time, this time the car stopped in the next snowdrift:
>
> http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw3.jpg
> http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw4.jpg

"Little" snow? Any standard sedan is going to get stuck when the
freakin' snow level comes up to the headlights.

Old March 2nd 05, 09:03 PM
Big Bill

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 20:36:33 -0500, Max > wrote:

>Hakkapelittas are nuts. I had a set (Hakka 10's) once on a Saab 900 and
>nothing, nothing could stop me in the snow. Not even studded. They were
>awesome traction.

Obviously, you've only driven in light snow.
Be reasonable. When the snow is over your bumper, tires are not the
answer. You need more clearance.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 2nd 05, 09:09 PM
Big Bill

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 20:35:18 -0500, Max > wrote:

>Heh... My Saab, I can drive through snowbanks taller than the car and
>have no problem on bald summer performance tires... you know before
>Bombardier and the Ski-Doo, people drove Saab 93's instead...

I usd to have a Yugo; in a really bad snowstorm, the Wyoming roads
department called me to come up there and clear the roads so their
plows could get through.
Honest!

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 2nd 05, 09:13 PM
Big Bill

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 23:14:46 +1030, <richard> wrote:

>If we had snow like that I'd find a) a good woman, b) pron c) a book & sit
>by a fire & drink rum.

I understand a) and c), but what does a pronoun do for you??
If that's supposed to be "porn", I think you need to concentrate on
actually getting a). It makes porn redundant. :-)

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"