steering shakes - balance or align?

Old March 2nd 05, 09:18 AM
john

Default steering shakes - balance or align?

I replaced the wheels & tires on my '03 Toyota Matrix with another set of
alloy wheels & tires. I bought the wheels used from someone, and bought the
tires new and had them put on the wheels at a garage. The steering wheel
sometimes shakes/vibrates when I drive over 65 mph. It shakes enough that
it's annoying to my hands, but you don't feel/hear it in the rest of the
car. Sometimes it shakes and then goes away after a little while (esp if I
slow down below 65 mph). What causes this? Did the garage not balance the
tires right? Or is something else a problem?

Thx.

-John
(remove the pachyderm)

Old March 2nd 05, 03:26 PM

Balance first. If problem is not solved, then align.

I'm assuming that your tie rods, ball joints, and wheel bearings are
all good though.

Old March 2nd 05, 08:40 PM
john

Thanks, everyone.

- John

Old March 3rd 05, 02:55 AM

A bent wheel rim (you got them used) COULD cause a vibration at highway
speed. I had a slightly bent wheel rim that annoyed me for years (
intermittent shaking between 60 and 65 mph) before I finally figured
it out, and replaced the rim.

Old March 3rd 05, 03:41 PM
HLS

"john" > wrote in message
> I replaced the wheels & tires on my '03 Toyota Matrix with another set of
> alloy wheels & tires. I bought the wheels used from someone, and bought

the
> tires new and had them put on the wheels at a garage. The steering wheel
> sometimes shakes/vibrates when I drive over 65 mph. It shakes enough that
> it's annoying to my hands, but you don't feel/hear it in the rest of the
> car. Sometimes it shakes and then goes away after a little while (esp if I
> slow down below 65 mph). What causes this? Did the garage not balance the
> tires right? Or is something else a problem?
>
> Thx.
>
> -John
> (remove the pachyderm)

Did you get answers? I don't see any on this newsgroup.

The shop that mounted the tires on the rims did not necessarily balance them
unless you told them to do so. You would have paid for it, so it should be
on your bill.

If they were not balanced, start there. The wheels should be checked for
trueness.

If your shaking only happens at certain speed ranges, that sounds
suspiciously
like some other suspension element may be faulty. I have seen bad ball
joints do this, but other looseness can be a factor.

528i vs 530i vs 540i USA Versions FSJ BMW 37 January 16th 05 07:38 PM
Noisey VUE Scout Saturn 5 January 16th 05 01:59 AM
'66 Steering Upgrade .boB Ford Mustang 1 December 21st 04 07:25 PM
Cracked Steering Damper Assembly- Be careful Jason 4x4 2 May 19th 04 12:42 PM