Is my battery shot?

Old February 28th 05, 02:18 PM
Mike Romain

They have others besides the marine ones. I guess in your neck of the
woods, the marine ones would be a big seller. The marine ones are
designed to be totally drained like you just did and recover many
times. They apparently are a little lower with starting amps, but boats
still have V8 engines they need to start up so......

Snow posted some links to others than marine.

Watch the damn warranties though! A 'supposedly' vibration proof
battery that supposedly 'never' fails so they don't 'need' a good
warranty is just pure snake oil BS like the Optima 'name' as I found out
the hard way.

Mike

Old February 28th 05, 08:34 PM
Jeff Strickland

The Optima is a very good choice. I bought my CJ in 1998, with unknown years
on the Optima Red Top. I now have 7 more years and it is going strong. The
best part is that it has been upsidedown a few times, and the engine bay is
not full of battery acid. This is worth the price in itself.

Old February 28th 05, 08:52 PM
Steve Foley

If you're interested in closing the barn door.......

I always try to lock the drivers door when I turn on the headlights. That
way, when I try to open the door to get out and it's locked, I remember the
lights.

Works in my YJ. Doesn't do squat in the Caravan, but that beeps when I leave
the lights on.

Old March 1st 05, 03:53 AM
Greg

Will have to try that.

Old March 2nd 05, 05:15 AM
nds

The battery may survive. Suggest setting battery charger to 6 volt setting
and when charge rate drops below 2 amps set to 12 volts and continue to
charge.

Old March 2nd 05, 02:35 PM
THOR

The newer batteries cannot be "recharged from the dead" as many times as the
older batteries with which you are familiar. Three discharges is it for
most of the newer batteries. One serious discharge can decrease a
batteries capacity by as much as 25% (been there)

news : The battery may survive. Suggest setting battery charger to 6 volt setting
:
: "Greg" > wrote in message
: news:nBpUd.519892$8l.226545@pd7tw1no...
: > I park my CJ in one of those 10'x20' grey plastic garages, was out
: > wheeling last sunday, and obviously I forgot to turn off lights, battery
: so
: > dead not even a click, stuck camper battery in and on come lights. So
: > question is, had CJ for 1 1/2 years, battery of unknown age, one of
those
: > ones with green lights, ( no green there today ), is it worth trying to
: > charge it or is it shot? I've had dead batteries before, but not ones
that
: > dead, 7 days of headlights on, so I don't know if a non deap cycle
battery
: > can come back from that.
: >
: >
:
:

Old March 2nd 05, 07:37 PM
Rich Hampel

If you left the battery fully discharged for more than one or two days.
take the battery to an auto-electric speicalty shop and have them
'equalize' it. When you ask to have it done and the counter man has a
strange look on his face, leave the shop.

Equalization is controlled over-charging (at a precise voltage ... and
correlated to actual battery temperature) will help to desulphanate the
plates, Batteries that are left in a dead state for more than one to
two days will sulphanate which will lead to premature battery failure.
Equalization is done by applying a specific charge rate that causes the
battery to 'boil'. Obviously dont do this yourself as you may explode
the battery in the process, etc.

A rapid fast full charge (turn the charger switch to 'manual' ), will
sometimes be good enough. Do this outside and with plenty of 'space'
so if the battery 'goes' noone gets hurt. Hook up charger, switch to
manual, follow looooooong extension cord to power source and plug in.
Dont even think of going near the battery when its fast manual charging
in case it goes booooooom. Charge for about an hour, turn off charger
and if battery is less than hot to touch, switch to automatic, etc.

There are three stage solid state (expensive) external regulators that
allow for equalization ... but again if you dont know what you are
doing, you can get seriously hurt.

In article >, nds

Old March 3rd 05, 12:51 AM
Woodsy

This is a beautiful post.

--

Woodsy,
Off the Grid, Off the Road, Off my Rocker...
Old March 3rd 05, 03:34 AM
Will Honea

I have designed and built such chargers for industrial and
instrumentation batteries - some the size of your Jeep - and there is
a caveat to all these processes: success rate even in lead-acid (or
Gel equivilants) designed for deep discharge is at best 75% for one
day sitting dead. That goes down rapidly with each day it sits.
After 4 days, getting even one back to a functional state is a
surprise. Also look at the cost and what you have even if it does
work. Sometimes it's cheaper and a lot more reliable to bite the
bullet and get a new one if there is any doubt.

--
Will Honea
Old March 3rd 05, 06:03 PM
Rich Hampel

But you cant equalize a gel battery ... or you blow out the pressure
valve. I simply turn them upside down and slow charge them back to
recovery.

In article >, Will Honea
> wrote:

> I have designed and built such chargers for industrial and
> instrumentation batteries - some the size of your Jeep - and there is
> a caveat to all these processes: success rate even in lead-acid (or
> Gel equivilants) designed for deep discharge is at best 75% for one
> day sitting dead. That goes down rapidly with each day it sits.
> After 4 days, getting even one back to a functional state is a
> surprise. Also look at the cost and what you have even if it does
> work. Sometimes it's cheaper and a lot more reliable to bite the
> bullet and get a new one if there is any doubt.
>
> On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 19:37:52 UTC Rich Hampel >
> wrote:
>
> > If you left the battery fully discharged for more than one or two days.
> > take the battery to an auto-electric speicalty shop and have them
> > 'equalize' it. When you ask to have it done and the counter man has a
> > strange look on his face, leave the shop.
> >
> > Equalization is controlled over-charging (at a precise voltage ... and
> > correlated to actual battery temperature) will help to desulphanate the
> > plates, Batteries that are left in a dead state for more than one to
> > two days will sulphanate which will lead to premature battery failure.
> > Equalization is done by applying a specific charge rate that causes the
> > battery to 'boil'. Obviously dont do this yourself as you may explode
> > the battery in the process, etc.
> >
> > A rapid fast full charge (turn the charger switch to 'manual' ), will
> > sometimes be good enough. Do this outside and with plenty of 'space'
> > so if the battery 'goes' noone gets hurt. Hook up charger, switch to
> > manual, follow looooooong extension cord to power source and plug in.
> > Dont even think of going near the battery when its fast manual charging
> > in case it goes booooooom. Charge for about an hour, turn off charger
> > and if battery is less than hot to touch, switch to automatic, etc.
> >
> > There are three stage solid state (expensive) external regulators that
> > allow for equalization ... but again if you dont know what you are
> > doing, you can get seriously hurt.
> >
> > In article >, nds
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > The battery may survive. Suggest setting battery charger to 6 volt setting
> > > and when charge rate drops below 2 amps set to 12 volts and continue to
> > > charge.
> > >
> > > "Greg" > wrote in message
> > > so

new alternator - battery light on, but still charging at 16v? [email protected] Technology 8 February 11th 05 10:38 PM
Battery replacement comments and questions Tom's VR6 VW water cooled 1 November 12th 04 06:12 PM
battery question Jim Beaver General 14 November 6th 04 10:54 PM
Dead Battery current leak Jeremy Saturn 3 July 1st 04 07:54 PM
Replacing Corroded Battery Cables for SL1 2000 Chris Gutierrez Saturn 2 June 28th 04 03:40 AM