right-on-red stress

Old July 10th 05, 12:50 AM
Larry Bud

Tim923 wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 20:05:47 GMT, Arif Khokar >
> wrote:
>
> >Are you having trouble seeing oncoming traffic when trying to make a
> >right on red? If not, then why are you worried then?

> Cars change lanes too quickly in Brevard County, Florida and often
> don't use blinkers.

In Michigan, you'll get a ticket for turning right on a red even if the
other car is in the left lane. You need to wait before both lanes are
clear.

Old July 10th 05, 12:59 AM
Nate Nagel

Larry Bud wrote:

> Tim923 wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 20:05:47 GMT, Arif Khokar >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Are you having trouble seeing oncoming traffic when trying to make a
>>>right on red? If not, then why are you worried then?

>>Cars change lanes too quickly in Brevard County, Florida and often
>>don't use blinkers.

> In Michigan, you'll get a ticket for turning right on a red even if the
> other car is in the left lane. You need to wait before both lanes are
> clear.

That makes no sense at all!

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old July 10th 05, 01:41 AM
Dave

">>>Cars change lanes too quickly in Brevard County, Florida and often
>>>don't use blinkers.

>> In Michigan, you'll get a ticket for turning right on a red even if the
>> other car is in the left lane. You need to wait before both lanes are
>> clear.
>>

> That makes no sense at all!
>
> nate

Well actually, it makes a lot of sense. But if ALL traffic rules were
actually ENFORCED, it wouldn't make any sense at all. For example, it is
illegal to change lanes in the middle of an intersection. But because
changing lanes in an intersection is so common and the law against it is
NEVER enforced, there needs to be another law to restrict cars turning right
on red when traffic is approaching from the left lane. So basically,
because the cops are to fricking lazy to do their jobs, we give them more
laws to not enforce. See how that works? -Dave

Old July 10th 05, 01:45 AM
Nate Nagel

Dave wrote:
> ">>>Cars change lanes too quickly in Brevard County, Florida and often

>>>In Michigan, you'll get a ticket for turning right on a red even if the
>>>other car is in the left lane. You need to wait before both lanes are
>>>clear.
>>>

>>That makes no sense at all!
>>
>>nate

> Well actually, it makes a lot of sense. But if ALL traffic rules were
> actually ENFORCED, it wouldn't make any sense at all. For example, it is
> illegal to change lanes in the middle of an intersection. But because
> changing lanes in an intersection is so common and the law against it is
> NEVER enforced, there needs to be another law to restrict cars turning right
> on red when traffic is approaching from the left lane. So basically,
> because the cops are to fricking lazy to do their jobs, we give them more
> laws to not enforce. See how that works? -Dave

I guess that means you can't RTOR when oncoming traffic is turning left
either?

(shakes head)

actually, I almost never do that one, even though I should be able to -
because I have absolutely zero confidence that left-turning traffic is
going to stay in the left lane. In fact, more often than not, I see
people turning directly into the right lane. Why, I dunno.

nate

Old July 10th 05, 01:57 PM
223rem

Nate Nagel wrote:

> In fact, more often than not, I see
> people turning directly into the right lane. Why, I dunno.

Less cornering effort
Old July 10th 05, 04:27 PM
bosk

In the province of Ontario, in Canada, most cities have right on red
turning, and if you were at the head of the line, assuming there were
other cars with their right turn signals on behind you, and you didn't
turn right at the first reasonable opportunity, there would be honks
aplenty, and IMO, with very good reason. You would in essence, be
holding up a line of traffic. However, if you were the only one turning
right, with no one behind you, then you could take your time, though,
you should get used to turning right on red eventually.

If one is so unsure and unused to traffic in a new area, if possible,
perhaps it would be better to try to car pool with someone else until
you get used to the lay of the land. Almost like when you're first
starting to learn to drive, but are still a passenger most times, and
are trying to pay attention to the various intersections and traffic
patterns to see how the locals handle them.

Any normal traffic procedure (and turning right on a red IS normal for
many locations) that is held up because of driver timidity is going to
be fair game for honking and inciting the ire (usually much more
dangerous these days) of the other drivers behind you. Rushed as people
are today, even seconds can add up to several minutes at the numerous
intersection they must turn into or clear on their way to work or an
appointment.

True, since you come from a no right on red area, and are trying to get
used to a new location that doesn not have this rule, it will take
time- but if you've been driving for a while, it shouldn't take THAT
much time. For your own sake and reducing your risk of falling victim
to road rage, you should try to combine safety and courage and get used
to turning right on the red more confidently. If that's not possible,
again, for safety reasons, you might have to revert to public transport
or car pooling.

Ironically, though right on red is common throughout Ontario, where I
live- on the Ontario/Quebec border, right on red is NOT allowed in
Quebec, so when driving there, I have to try to supress the urge to
turn right on red- not always successfully though, since it's like a
reflex. So I can empathize with your plight somewhat, but again, when
in Rome.....

Old July 10th 05, 05:11 PM
bosk

small wrote:
> I'm in a new town. I don't feel comfortable turning right-on-red with
> the amount of traffic. Most of these types of intersections are marked
> "no right turn on red" where I'm from and it just seems bad to gun the
> gas on red to save a few seconds. It would be too easy to miss a
> speeding car on a yellow light or a pedestrian. Lots of people speed
> here. Cars here beep at people that don't turn on red. How do I handle
> these beepers? If I don't feel comfortable, would it be a mistake to
> turn?

(reposting this reply with the original poster's message included this
time)

[...]

used to a new location that does not have this rule, it will take
time- but if you've been driving for a while, it shouldn't take THAT
much time. For your own sake and reducing your risk of falling victim
to road rage, you should try to combine safety and courage and get used
to turning right on the red more confidently. If that's not possible,
again, for safety reasons, you might have to revert to public transport
or car pooling.

Ironically, though right on red is common throughout Ontario and most
other
provinces in Canada, where I live (in Ontario, but on the
Ontario/Quebec border),
when in Quebec, right on red is NOT allowed, so while driving there, I

Old July 11th 05, 02:11 AM
Stan Horwitz

In article >,
"brink" > wrote:

> "Stan Horwitz" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > small > wrote:
> >
> >> I'm in a new town. I don't feel comfortable turning right-on-red with
> >> the amount of traffic. Most of these types of intersections are marked
> >> "no right turn on red" where I'm from and it just seems bad to gun the
> >> gas on red to save a few seconds. It would be too easy to miss a
> >> speeding car on a yellow light or a pedestrian. Lots of people speed
> >> here. Cars here beep at people that don't turn on red. How do I handle
> >> these beepers? If I don't feel comfortable, would it be a mistake to
> >> turn?

> > No. If you don't feel comfortable turning right on red, then don't.
> > Right turns on red are treated like a stop sign.

> so you stop at a stop sign until you get a "go" sign?
>
> ;-)

No. I stop at a stop sign until I am ready to go, and not one second
sooner!
Old July 11th 05, 04:31 AM
DTJ

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 19:59:05 -0400, Nate Nagel >
wrote:

>Larry Bud wrote:
>>
>> Tim923 wrote:

>>>Cars change lanes too quickly in Brevard County, Florida and often
>>>don't use blinkers.

>> In Michigan, you'll get a ticket for turning right on a red even if the
>> other car is in the left lane. You need to wait before both lanes are
>> clear.
>>

>That makes no sense at all!

It is, or was, the law in Illinois also. That said, I'll be damned if
I am going to wait. I go as soon as I can do so without
inconveniencing the oncoming traffic.
Old July 11th 05, 04:32 AM
brink

"Stan Horwitz" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "brink" > wrote:
>
>> "Stan Horwitz" > wrote in message

>> > No. If you don't feel comfortable turning right on red, then don't.
>> > Right turns on red are treated like a stop sign.

>> so you stop at a stop sign until you get a "go" sign?
>>
>> ;-)

> No. I stop at a stop sign until I am ready to go, and not one second
> sooner!

after you finish you sandwich?

;-)

brink

'99 Intrepid - Dealer Stripped Oil Pan Drain threads? officehelp1981 Chrysler 36 July 5th 05 11:13 AM
auto lockers [email protected] Jeep 50 May 2nd 05 10:47 PM
Lateral stress on sway bar mounts Carl Saiyed Jeep 5 April 20th 05 12:44 AM
Poor Milage linda grommon Dodge 26 March 12th 05 09:58 AM
Minimum Lift Question Fred Garvin Jeep 23 December 26th 04 05:46 PM