8-series

Old June 2nd 05, 12:04 PM
Somebody

"Trey" > wrote in message

> "Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Somebody" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> "bfd" > wrote in message
> >> oups.com...

> >> 50K to 80k miles? I just swapped mine out 'cause the throwout bearing
> >> went -- 344,000km, could have put it back in but I had bought a kit

> > anyway.
> >>

> > I second that. I have a '94 325i and I replaced the factory clutch at
> > 210,000 miles, and I did it because I was tired of listening to the
> > throw-out bearing howl its complaints everytime I depressed the pedal.
> >
> > I'll accept the idea that the 8 Series and the 3 Series are not even
> > remotely similar once you get behind the Roundelo on the hood, but I
> > reject
> > the notion that the standard is 50- to 80-thousand miles on a clutch.

> What kind of driving do you do? if its day after day of heavy metro

traffic,
> I can see it wearing out faster than if you commuted though the

countryside.
> When Im on the interstate on my motorcycle, I can cover over 100 miles
> without touching the clutch. Get in the city, and the clutch gets used

every
> 20 feet

Well that's fair, heavy stop and go -- if you literally stop -- wears the
clutch no matter how careful you are.

A manual tranmission 850 is hardly a good choice of a daily commuter if your
commute is truly that bad, however. Seems unlikely that so many of them
live that sort of life that they all have a reputation of tossing clutches
at 80Kmiles.

-Russ.

Old June 2nd 05, 04:24 PM
Trey

>> > anyway.
>> >>

>> > I second that. I have a '94 325i and I replaced the factory clutch at
>> > 210,000 miles, and I did it because I was tired of listening to the
>> > throw-out bearing howl its complaints everytime I depressed the pedal.
>> >
>> > I'll accept the idea that the 8 Series and the 3 Series are not even
>> > remotely similar once you get behind the Roundelo on the hood, but I
>> > reject
>> > the notion that the standard is 50- to 80-thousand miles on a clutch.

>> What kind of driving do you do? if its day after day of heavy metro

> traffic,
>> I can see it wearing out faster than if you commuted though the

> countryside.
>> When Im on the interstate on my motorcycle, I can cover over 100 miles
>> without touching the clutch. Get in the city, and the clutch gets used

> every
>> 20 feet

> Well that's fair, heavy stop and go -- if you literally stop -- wears the
> clutch no matter how careful you are.
>
> A manual tranmission 850 is hardly a good choice of a daily commuter if
> your
> commute is truly that bad, however. Seems unlikely that so many of them
> live that sort of life that they all have a reputation of tossing clutches
> at 80Kmiles.
>
> -Russ.

They could be making the clutch pads out of a softer compound to give it
greater grip in a smaller area.. Thats the only thing left I can think of.

Old June 3rd 05, 11:57 AM
Somebody

"Trey" > wrote in message

E52

its

bearing

pedal.

> >> What kind of driving do you do? if its day after day of heavy metro

> > traffic,
> >> I can see it wearing out faster than if you commuted though the

> > countryside.
> >> When Im on the interstate on my motorcycle, I can cover over 100 miles
> >> without touching the clutch. Get in the city, and the clutch gets used

> > every
> >> 20 feet

> > Well that's fair, heavy stop and go -- if you literally stop -- wears

the
> > clutch no matter how careful you are.
> >
> > A manual tranmission 850 is hardly a good choice of a daily commuter if
> > your
> > commute is truly that bad, however. Seems unlikely that so many of them
> > live that sort of life that they all have a reputation of tossing

clutches
> > at 80Kmiles.
> >
> > -Russ.
> >

> They could be making the clutch pads out of a softer compound to give it
> greater grip in a smaller area.. Thats the only thing left I can think of.

I guess that's possible. Perhaps an aftermarket clutch could fix that, but
if they've just made it too small there may not be much that can be done.
Still a gentle foot at first engagement and proper rev matching should
extend clutch life significantly. You can actually get good fast starts
from a car while barely slipping the clutch at all and stomping the gas
after full engagement when a car has as much torque as that motor does.

-Russ.

Old June 12th 05, 01:50 AM
Dru Abrams

I've heard my mechanic repeatedly bitc$ and moan about the 850 v12.
Say's its a piece of garbage.

This is coming from Steve Moran Motors...best dang Beemer shop I've ever
been to. Its in Berkely, CA.

I was talking to one of the guys when an 850 came in with a blown motor
and out of curiousity asking how they were, and how they held up, and he
just sort of put his head down and said they're terrible.

I've got a six myself and have had my fair share of probs...but it seems
the 850's just weren't designed to last.

My .01
Dru

Somebody wrote:

>"Trey" > wrote in message

> [...]