Looking for tire advice

Old September 30th 04, 07:43 AM
Jan

Default Looking for tire advice

What's a good, fairly sticky tire in 185/60/14 size? Snow performance
is irrelevant (got a 4x4 truck for that), and rain is infrequent here.
This would be strictly for street driving (no racing), but I like to
drive fairly aggressively.

The tires I got now are some Toyo Spectrums, and I absolutely hate
them. Don't handle nearly as well as the Dunlops I had previously,
but most annoyingly, they screech someting awful when I push them even
a little. Can anyone suggest a better replacement?
Old September 30th 04, 12:03 PM
Roald Oines

"Jan" > wrote in message
om...
> What's a good, fairly sticky tire in 185/60/14 size? Snow performance
> is irrelevant (got a 4x4 truck for that), and rain is infrequent here.
> This would be strictly for street driving (no racing), but I like to
> drive fairly aggressively.
>
> The tires I got now are some Toyo Spectrums, and I absolutely hate
> them. Don't handle nearly as well as the Dunlops I had previously,
> but most annoyingly, they screech someting awful when I push them even
> a little. Can anyone suggest a better replacement?

I like my Yoko AVS ES-100s a lot -- very sticky on dry and wet roads, but I
don't believe they'll last too long compared to a more "standard" tire. I'm
told they make snow like ball bearings, but I have an old 4Runner for days
when snow might be possible.

--
Please remove the under_scores when emailing me

Old September 30th 04, 05:18 PM
dookie

i've got 15" wheels on my '99 sport so i don't know that your sizes are
available, but here's a couple i like:

bridgestone s-03. plenty sticky, very good wet performance, average
weight/ride/noise.
falken azenis rt-215 (formerly 'rs'). near r-compound stick, good wet
performance *provided no standing water*, heavy, stiff, loud.

obviously the s-03 is a better all-around tire...but the falkens are *crazy*
fun and are what mine is currently wearing. i am also blessed with a nice
climate and alternate 4x4 vehicle and like to drive sideways. i expect ~15k
miles out of this set, and at ~$70/ea. i'll be replacing them with the same.

fwiw,

dookie
http://24.163.64.21/miata.htm

om...

Old September 30th 04, 08:56 PM
Dana H. Myers

Jan wrote:
> What's a good, fairly sticky tire in 185/60/14 size? Snow performance
> is irrelevant (got a 4x4 truck for that), and rain is infrequent here.
> This would be strictly for street driving (no racing), but I like to
> drive fairly aggressively.

So far I'm pretty happy with a set of AVS ES-100s,
though they're a little noisy and I only can speak
for dry traction (very good).

Dana
Old October 1st 04, 12:19 AM
Dave

Sounds like you have gotten great choices so far. I bought Falken
Azenis, but I auto-X and they are THE non-R compound tire for
that. Otherwise I probably would have gone for the Toyo Proxes
T1-S. Check tirerack.com for reviews. In 14", you can get the
Falkens for dirt cheap, ~$50-60? I'm jealous.
Old October 1st 04, 05:01 AM
Chris D'Agnolo

I have to agree with all the above, loved the Azenis but passenger hated
them, turned them into autocross only tires and went with an inexpensive
tire with long mileage and decent traction, excellent ride, Bridgestone
'Eager'. They have surprisingly good grip wet and dry and I like to be able
to push to the edges of adhesion (that's where the fun is) often. Plus, with
too many cars to keep running and 'shoed' I really appreciate the high
treadwear rating. My wife appreciates the good ride and that means she's
more likely to be up for 'rides in the country'. Not a bad trade off, in my
opinion.

Chris
92BB&T

Old October 1st 04, 12:53 PM
Leon van Dommelen

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

>I have to agree with all the above,

All of it? You really did not feel the slightest nagging doubt about
a single statement?

Leon

> loved the Azenis but passenger hated
>them, turned them into autocross only tires and went with an inexpensive
>tire with long mileage and decent traction, excellent ride, Bridgestone
>'Eager'. They have surprisingly good grip wet and dry and I like to be able
>to push to the edges of adhesion (that's where the fun is) often. Plus, with
>too many cars to keep running and 'shoed' I really appreciate the high
>treadwear rating. My wife appreciates the good ride and that means she's
>more likely to be up for 'rides in the country'. Not a bad trade off, in my
>opinion.
>
>Chris
>92BB&T
>
>"Dave" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Sounds like you have gotten great choices so far. I bought Falken
>> Azenis, but I auto-X and they are THE non-R compound tire for
>> that. Otherwise I probably would have gone for the Toyo Proxes
>> T1-S. Check tirerack.com for reviews. In 14", you can get the
>> Falkens for dirt cheap, ~$50-60? I'm jealous.

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old October 1st 04, 11:39 PM
dookie

you're not going to get anything too fun if it absolutely has to be
185/60-14. s-03's are 15" only.

however, the azenis in 195/60-14 are $46 each. yes, you read that right.
www.vulcantire.com. at that price you'd be a fool to not try them. if you
hate them, ebay 'em...how much could you really lose?

dookie

om...

Old October 2nd 04, 12:44 AM
Leon van Dommelen

(Jan) wrote:

(Dave) wrote in message >...
>> Sounds like you have gotten great choices so far. I bought Falken
>> Azenis, but I auto-X and they are THE non-R compound tire for
>> that. Otherwise I probably would have gone for the Toyo Proxes
>> T1-S. Check tirerack.com for reviews. In 14", you can get the
>> Falkens for dirt cheap, ~$50-60? I'm jealous.

>HuH? When I checked, neither the Falkens nor the TS-1's are available
>in 185/60/14 size.

http://www.toyo.com/tires/tire_specsheet.cfm?id=2
195/55 is pretty much the same as 185/60 and even makes the
contact patch a bit wider.

Leon