98 Explorer Starting Problem

Old August 28th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
MS Jordan

Default 98 Explorer Starting Problem

1998 Explorer with Big V6 2x2 drive - 140,000 miles

I'm having a problem with my Explorer and have had my primary mechanic come
up with nothing after 2 attempts.

It won't start after being driven for awhile in warm to hot weather and the
AC has been running.

It will turn over, but no sign of ignition - if it were a carburetor it
sounds and act's like vapor lock.

What has me baffled even if you leave it and let is cool all the way down
ie over night - sometimes it won't start even then - which leaves me
thinking that it is not heat or AC linked.

Battery fine, Alternator is putting out correct voltage and amperage.

Anybody with thoughts or similar problems.
Old August 28th 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

"MS Jordan" > wrote in message
4...
> 1998 Explorer with Big V6 2x2 drive - 140,000 miles
>
> I'm having a problem with my Explorer and have had my primary mechanic

come
> up with nothing after 2 attempts.
>
> It won't start after being driven for awhile in warm to hot weather and

the
> AC has been running.
>
> It will turn over, but no sign of ignition - if it were a carburetor it
> sounds and act's like vapor lock.

Does it have spark? You say "no sign of ignition" and then say "vapor
lock." I assume the engine is cranking if you are saying this.

> What has me baffled even if you leave it and let is cool all the way down
> ie over night - sometimes it won't start even then - which leaves me
> thinking that it is not heat or AC linked.
>
> Battery fine, Alternator is putting out correct voltage and

amperage.

Are you absolutely certain that the battery is OK? Did you check each cell
with a hydrometer after it has set for a while? I had a situation on my '97
where sometimes it would start and sometimes it would not. It turned out
that two of my battery's cells were a bit weak. I was sure the battery was
not the problem. What I do think was the problem was a dirty connection on
the crankcase position sensor which on my particular engine (4.0 V6 OHC) is
in the front below the crankshaft. I cleaned the connection and replaced
the battery and the problem is gone. I did not have spark but the coil
checked out OK and the voltage to the coil was OK too. So, either the
computer would not allow ignition because of a low voltage situation or it
would not allow it because it did not know the crankcase position. Two easy
things to check anyway...

Good luck.

Old August 29th 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Captain Coleman

Have you tried cleaning the battery terminals?

4...

Old August 29th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Sam[_3_]

Is there a fuel pump relay like there is for the 94? My 94 had same
problem which turned out to be fuel pump relay located under the hood.

Just a long shot ...saw you had no solution posted.

Good luck.

Sam in Raleigh.
Old August 29th 06, 07:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
MS Jordan

1) Battery less than a 18 months old, so pretty sure that is not the
problem
2) Battery cables and terminal
- when it 1st occured I thought that was the problem - so new cables
and gave the battery posts a good cleaning

3) When the engine cranks it pumps gas, so agin I pretty sure that is not
the program

I will give the issue of timing a look -

thanks for the help and suggestions

Old August 30th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
MS Jordan

Problem solved (I think)

The suggestion from Ulysses on the Crankcase Postion Sensor turned out to
be intermittant.

New sensor - running car

Thanks for the help