Need advice on 1993 E36

Old December 20th 04, 04:42 AM
Erik

Default Need advice on 1993 E36

I now officially own a 1993 325i with 170k on it. Auto tranny 4 door etc. It
was given to me, so the price was right.

Are there any web sites I can go to in order to get info on this type of
car?
What can I expect to go bad first?
How long do these cars go for (given it was maintenanced properly)?
What is the best oil for the car?
Any additional recommendations?

Thank you in advance.

Erik

Old December 20th 04, 11:14 AM
John Burns

> What can I expect to go bad first?

If you don't know how old the tranny fluid is change it now.

They have a water pump with a plastic impeller. It's unlikely you still
have the original at 170k, so you may have the new all metal type.

> How long do these cars go for (given it was maintenanced properly)?

Forever :-)

> What is the best oil for the car?

Anything fully synthetic.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
Old December 20th 04, 09:27 PM
Corey Shuman

Check the roadfly boards for the e36 forums too, they are a pretty
bright group. chances are any problem or question you have, someone has
seen it or dealt with it before and can help you out. lord knows how
many times they have saved my a$$ on my e32 and e34

Old December 20th 04, 10:07 PM
Jeff Strickland

I use 10w/30 in mine. I live in So. Calif., so our demands on oil can be
different than yours. If you live in a cold climate, you might find that
5w30 or 0w30 works best for you during winter months, and 10w30 or 10w40
works for summer months.

My car has over 205,000 miles and is going strong. I am looking to replace
the clutch after the first of the year.

I don't think there is anything you can expect to go first. The best you can
hope for is that the stuff that does go bad is within your realm of
mechanical ability. I have found that all of the mechanical needs of my car
have been easily serviced at home. I will not be servicing the clutch
though. But, I do everything that does not require a lift.

Old December 20th 04, 10:15 PM
Erik

Actually, I live in Long Beach, CA so I will take you on your advice about
the oil. My father gave me the car when he got his new car. A very nice
thing to do, but you never know what you will be getting into. He had the
fuel pump replaced, some internal coolant lines by or in the intake area
(???) and the airflow meter. He said other than that, the car has been good.
I really appreciate all of the advice. I will check out that website.