156 2.5 V6

Old November 30th 04, 04:41 PM
Kev G

Default 156 2.5 V6

Got a screechy starter motor for about a second when starting from
cold. Anyone know what this is likely to cost me to sort out??? Does
it mean a new starter motor or can it b repaired.
Old November 30th 04, 09:24 PM
Tony Rickard

"Kev G" wrote:

> Got a screechy starter motor for about a second when starting from
> cold. Anyone know what this is likely to cost me to sort out??? Does
> it mean a new starter motor or can it b repaired.

Mine makes a sort of scraping noise hot or cold for about a second (156 V6
too).

It had its 24k service today and I asked them to look at it. Was told it was
normal and 156s starters have a bit of follow through ??

I got them to copy the works order which included my request for them to
check it in case something bad happens. I would definitely want this done
under warranty as I believe a starter motor replacement is an engine out
job.

I had a surprising number of suspension bushes changed for 24k too - all
under warranty though.

Plus I wore out my rear brakes before the fronts which surprised me. Are
they softer pads at the back anyone know?

Cheers
Tony

Old November 30th 04, 09:29 PM
stradale

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 20:24:35 GMT, Tony Rickard wrote:
> Plus I wore out my rear brakes before the fronts which surprised me. Are
> they softer pads at the back anyone know?

Stability control (ESP or something like that) uses rear brakes very often.
So that could be the reason.

--
Pozdrav!
Old November 30th 04, 09:49 PM
Tony Rickard

"Tony Rickard" wrote:

>> Got a screechy starter motor for about a second when starting from
>> cold. Anyone know what this is likely to cost me to sort out??? Does
>> it mean a new starter motor or can it b repaired.

> Mine makes a sort of scraping noise hot or cold for about a second (156 V6
> too).

Mmmm - hasn't done it since the service - perhaps they lubricated something
to stop it after all. We'll see if it makes any difference when cold.

Old November 30th 04, 11:14 PM
Ppelectron

>Got a screechy starter motor for about a second when starting from
>cold. Anyone know what this is likely to cost me to sort out??? Does
>it mean a new starter motor or can it b repaired.

I asked the Alfa dealer to quote for this problem on my 156 V6. The starter
motor is pretty cheap. But the bad news is that the starter motor is allegedly
very difficult to get at. The dealer reckoned it's a 7 hour job. I was
horrified and have left it as it is. I think a good plan might be to leave it
until you have a cambelt service. I was told this involves taking the engine
out on the V6, so would hopefully make the starter motor a lot more accessible.
I love my Alfa, but I have to say it's a silly design if you can't remove a
starter motor. :-)

Phil 156 V6