Buying a 166

Old November 30th 04, 09:23 AM
The jackal

Default Buying a 166

Hi Folks,

I am looking to buy a second hand 166 as our second car.

I am not too concerned about the year build more the kilometres and
service record.

Firstly, is this wise?

Secondly, assuming that you do feel it is worthwhile getting into a
second hand Alfa, can anyone provide any advice about what type of
problems to look out for and if there is a model I should steer clear
of. I am in Australia.

Thanks in advance.

Old November 30th 04, 10:25 AM
Mr Flipflops

> I am looking to buy a second hand 166 as our second car.
>
> I am not too concerned about the year build more the kilometres and
> service record.
>
> Firstly, is this wise?

I wouldn't mind one of those, but since it's just me I figured the 156 was a
better bet.

> Secondly, assuming that you do feel it is worthwhile getting into a
> second hand Alfa, can anyone provide any advice about what type of
> problems to look out for and if there is a model I should steer clear
> of. I am in Australia.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Well, I've got a 156, but I'd imagine most of the problems to look for are
going to be similar especially on the mechanical side of things.

I'd stay clear of anything below 2.5 litres for a car that size, and I'd
stick to manual shift (6 speed preferable). That's just my opinion though.

Full Service history, preferably Alfa stamped. For major services, check
that it hasn't been Joe Bloggs ltd. That to me would set off alarm bells.

Timing belt very important (Alfa dealer will have records), make sure it's
been done if it was supposed to be, and factor in the cost of getting it
done if it hasn't.

Make sure you get all the key's (may need a 166 owner to describe the
various possible combinations)

Check all electrics work, Window/Headlight washers, Air Con and in your case
the centre console screen and controls.

Squeaky and/or Knocking noises from the front (could be faint), may indicate
worn suspension components, wheel bearings etc...

Check for warped discs, you should be able to hear them.

Thats pretty much all I've had to worry about since getting my 156 in June.

Rgds

Stuart

Old November 30th 04, 10:58 AM
The jackal

Thanks for taking the time Stuart.

I will make a note of your suggestions.

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:25:56 GMT, "Mr Flipflops"

Old November 30th 04, 02:15 PM
Catman

The jackal wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I am looking to buy a second hand 166 as our second car.
>
> I am not too concerned about the year build more the kilometres and
> service record.
>
> Firstly, is this wise?

From what I've heard, these are awesome cars. The depreciation here (UK)
is vicous on them, so they are dead cheap second hand.

Personally I'd be not worried about highish miles, as long as there is good
service history.

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 2.0 TS
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old December 4th 04, 11:32 PM
F Kaiser

The jackal > wrote in message >. ..
> Hi Folks,
>
> I am looking to buy a second hand 166 as our second car.
>
> I am not too concerned about the year build more the kilometres and
> service record.
>
> Firstly, is this wise?
>
> Secondly, assuming that you do feel it is worthwhile getting into a
> second hand Alfa, can anyone provide any advice about what type of
> problems to look out for and if there is a model I should steer clear
> of. I am in Australia.

Personally, I found the 166 to be a fantastic drive and a mechanically
sound car. I thought the only two downsides to 166 ownership were fuel
economy (but then I did have the 3.0 V6), and front tyre wear. My
first set lasted about 14K miles, and fuel economy varied from 15 mpg
in the city, to 30 mpg on the motorway. The 3.0 V6 demands to be
driven on the open road !

The only non-regular part I replaced in two years was the air mass
meter (a common failing in Alfas I believe). Otherwise, brake pads and
other consumables were quite reasonable. Some mechanics are frightened
of the car, so find someone familiar with Alfas.

Apart from the usual things when buying second hand, check the timing
belt has been changed at 72K, and look for a full service history. Ask
to see the service manual and give the garage(s) who serviced the car
a phone call. Often mechanics do talk about the car's history.

Auto versus manual ? The Sportronic gearbox lacks a fifth gear, and
this causes acceleration to be sluggish at times in automatic mode.
However, sport mode is very responsive and the car simply flies when
you put your foot down on the open road. I haven't heard anything bad
about the Sportronic in terms of reliability, unlike the varied
reports about Selespeed gearoxes.

Good luck with your purchase. It is a very underrated car and quite
outstanding drive. I look forward to owning another one.

Regards,
Faez
Old December 5th 04, 03:07 AM
The jackal

Thanks for taking the time to respond Faez,

I have also been told to look out for the brake discs. Apparently,
they need replacing more often than other car makes.

Old December 8th 04, 08:59 AM
jong

I've driven a 1999 2.5 V6 24V for the past two years and it really is a
great car. Check the fuel economy when you test drive, mine averages
22mpg which appears to be a lot lower than usual but it's been checked
out by various alfa mechanics and they can't find a problem. Front
tyres need replacing every 10K miles. Also be aware of the 72000 mile
service, it costs around 800 pounds sterling.
The only other problem is trying to keep your foot off the gas!
hth

Jon