E36 - "Excessive" play in steering

Old July 18th 05, 10:24 AM
Mike G

"Wayne K." > wrote in message
news:JBICe.116922$yV4.113800@okepread03...
> Hello All,
> So I checked the steering column. There is a connection in

approximately
> that looks something like a small U joint. It's below the Master Brake

unit
> etc. This thing seems to be the culprit. It seems very work out. Is this

an
> easy fix? Or does it require changing out the whole steering coloum.

As I said in an earlier post, I'm not familiar with the 3 series, but the
small u/j's on steering columns are usually replaceable on their own.
I suggest you get yourself a Haynes or similar, or search the BMW websites.
Chances are it will mean removal of the column, or at least moving it enough
to slide the coupling off the shaft.
Before you do so, make sure it's the joint itself that has the play, and is
not due to slackness of the coupling on the shaft itself. If it is, simply
tightening the bolts might be enough to remove the play.
Mike.

Old July 18th 05, 12:50 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
R. Mark Clayton > wrote:
> There is always going to be some play between one diretion and the other
> evenon a rack.

Not that you can feel. It would of course be measurable.

--
*Eschew obfuscation *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old July 18th 05, 12:56 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Mike G > wrote:
> > You may well be able to move the wheel slightly with no apparent
> > movement of the wheels, but free play means free movement followed by
> > a definite and 'hard' change in resistance. If it's 'springy' movement
> > then that's ok, as this may be a function of the power steering
> > sensing.

> Which is why I asked the questions in my original reply. You and I know
> what play means, but Waynes post didn't explain whether the play was
> springy, or perfectly free play with no resistance. He simply said the
> wheels didn't move.

Yes. It's a fine point. But if the play is in a UJ in the steering
column, it's likely to be very easy movement between the points where firm
resistance is felt. The other common point is wear in an inner ball joint,
but since this involves moving the rack to feel may not be so obvious.
However, raising a wheel off the ground is the best way to check for this.
Play between the rack and pinion, or pinion end float are much less
common.

--
*Why is it that doctors call what they do "practice"?

Old July 20th 05, 12:02 PM

Wayne K. wrote:
> Hello All,
> So I checked the steering column. There is a connection in approximately
> that looks something like a small U joint. It's below the Master Brake unit
> etc. This thing seems to be the culprit. It seems very work out. Is this an
> easy fix? Or does it require changing out the whole steering coloum.
>
> Thanks,
> Wayne

This is a recall item on some E36s so check with your dealer. You
might get it replaced for free.