1942 Willys Jeep Trouble

Old January 22nd 05, 10:24 PM
John

Default 1942 Willys Jeep Trouble

I have a 1942 Willy's Jeep, whith a T-84 transmission, and it is
leaking gear oil in the belhousing.

I changed the bearing and vented the transmission, but it is still
leakin gear oil, and it is not over filled with gear oil.

Can anybody tell me how I can fix this problem.
Old January 22nd 05, 11:58 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi John,
Sometimes the oil slinger, (very important) may have been left out,
because the bearing eat it. Which then will overwhelm the new stock felt
or original leather seal:
http://www.rubicon4x4.com/catalog/in.../512/language/
Might call Border Parts, for a neoprene seal replacement. They
still don't have a web site, I put their address and phone number on a
mad to their place:
http://yellowpages.superpages.com/su...4BA3AE58&C B=
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 26th 05, 10:43 AM

I took your advice about an oil slinger, but when I called my supplier
they said that there is no slinger for a T-84 transmission, but there
is one for a T-90.

Old January 26th 05, 07:53 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

There is always an oil slinger. Although, it's a part no one
stocks, they should, as when the bearing comes apart, it'll chew up the
slinger every time. Here it's just called a washer:
http://www.apple.queensu.ca/CJ3B/Pho...ansmission.gif On seal
areas such a crankshaft the slinger will be milled on to it.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 26th 05, 08:12 PM
Mike Romain

Don't the bottom big gears act as the main slinger?

I see thrust washers on both ends so figure they catch some of the gear
drip between it and the case and sling more right?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 26th 05, 08:52 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Mike,
Those are thrust washers at the ends of the cluster, but the oil
splashing off the gears is what we're trying save the seal from, so a
slinger is always placed between them and the exiting shafts. Just you
may see left on a crank: http://i13.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/46/91/8f_1_b.JPG
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

What is a TJ? Brian Foster Jeep 23 January 22nd 05 06:06 AM
Jeep VS others Elliot Westcott Chrysler 64 December 19th 04 02:22 PM
FS: 1948 Willys CJ-3A hunting jeep ken bonin 4x4 0 November 29th 04 07:02 PM
FS: '47 Willys Jeep Mike Antique cars 0 July 11th 03 03:47 AM