spark plug "holes" in valve cover full of oil!

Old April 2nd 06, 12:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default spark plug "holes" in valve cover full of oil!

I was going to do a compression test on this car (its a 95 saturn) and
two of the plug wires came out totally soaked in oil! The first two
were just fine and I got a normal compression reading on the first cyl.
The cylinders that are full of oil would not give a normal compression
reading, they just shot my guage sky-high becuase of all the oil in the
cyl. I suppose.

This is the car that was had a radiator resevoir filled with the grey
gunk. Could the oil in those last two "plug wire holes" just be from a
poorly seal around the hole openings in the valve cover? I've never
seen anything like this... The car still seems to run just fine even
with two totally saturated plugs . Even the plugs themselves came out
with oil all over them...

supa

Old April 2nd 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"supafly" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I was going to do a compression test on this car (its a 95 saturn) and
> two of the plug wires came out totally soaked in oil! The first two
> were just fine and I got a normal compression reading on the first cyl.
> The cylinders that are full of oil would not give a normal compression
> reading, they just shot my guage sky-high becuase of all the oil in the
> cyl. I suppose.
>
> This is the car that was had a radiator resevoir filled with the grey
> gunk. Could the oil in those last two "plug wire holes" just be from a
> poorly seal around the hole openings in the valve cover? I've never
> seen anything like this... The car still seems to run just fine even
> with two totally saturated plugs . Even the plugs themselves came out
> with oil all over them...

Leaking valve guide seals I would guess.

Ted

Old April 2nd 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Your story doesn't fly, supa.
If the plugs came out oil soaked, those cylinders were not firing and
it could not have been running fine as you say. If it is running fine,
you got the plugs soaked on the way out. And if you let a bunch of oil
run into the cylinder you are dam lucky that you did not lock up a
cylinder and bend a rod. What did you do with the gray gunk in the
radiator situation? Did you bypass the cooler or replace the radiator
to eliminate that possibility? Was the trans fluid contaminated with
coolant? You leave too many unanswered questions and your testing
technique is very suspect.
If it runs fine and the contamination into the radiator is fixed, then
fix the oil leak and drive it.

Old April 2nd 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"supafly" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I was going to do a compression test on this car (its a 95 saturn) and
> two of the plug wires came out totally soaked in oil! The first two
> were just fine and I got a normal compression reading on the first cyl.
> The cylinders that are full of oil would not give a normal compression
> reading, they just shot my guage sky-high becuase of all the oil in the
> cyl. I suppose.
>
> This is the car that was had a radiator resevoir filled with the grey
> gunk. Could the oil in those last two "plug wire holes" just be from a
> poorly seal around the hole openings in the valve cover? I've never
> seen anything like this... The car still seems to run just fine even
> with two totally saturated plugs . Even the plugs themselves came out
> with oil all over them...
>
> supa

The spark plug tubes have a gasket on the top that seals against the valve
cover to keep the oil out. These gaskets should be part of a valve cover
gasket set, but sometimes they are sold seperately. Replacing the valve
cover gasket and spark plug tube gaskets should stop your oil leak

Old April 2nd 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

I think the OP is talking about oil pooling around the spark plug where
it runs through the valve cover. I had a old Dodge Slant-six that used
to do that and my Toyota 3TC Hemi does it a little. What I would do
with the Dodge is pull the wire off and use my compressor to blow out
the oil, covering the hole with a rag and then pull the plug. Now that
you have oil in the cyl. you may have to remove all the plugs and turn
the engine over with the starter to blow out the oil that drained down
into the cyl. Cover the holes with rags or you'll have oil all over
everything.
If you don't want this to happen again you need to replace the valve
cover gasket AND the "O" rings/flat washer that seals around the spark
plugs between head and valve cover. I don't think that your guage will
give you good readings now that it has oil in it.

HTH, Rick

Old April 2nd 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

supafly > wrote:

>This is the car that was had a radiator resevoir filled with the grey
>gunk. Could the oil in those last two "plug wire holes" just be from a
>poorly seal around the hole openings in the valve cover? I've never
>seen anything like this... The car still seems to run just fine even
>with two totally saturated plugs . Even the plugs themselves came out
>with oil all over them...

Right. Valve cover gaskets are bad. Probably a good idea to replace
them before the plug wires fail from all the oil, and to keep oil from
getting in the cylinders when you change plugs.
--scott
Old April 2nd 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

supafly wrote:

> I was going to do a compression test on this car (its a 95 saturn) and
> two of the plug wires came out totally soaked in oil! The first two
> were just fine and I got a normal compression reading on the first cyl.
> The cylinders that are full of oil would not give a normal compression
> reading, they just shot my guage sky-high becuase of all the oil in the
> cyl. I suppose.
>
> This is the car that was had a radiator resevoir filled with the grey
> gunk. Could the oil in those last two "plug wire holes" just be from a
> poorly seal around the hole openings in the valve cover? I've never
> seen anything like this... The car still seems to run just fine even
> with two totally saturated plugs . Even the plugs themselves came out
> with oil all over them...
>
> supa

Many vehicles have that problem, not just Saturn.
The valve cover gasket is bad. Replace it.
Old April 3rd 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

>I was going to do a compression test on this car (its a 95 Saturn) and
> two of the plug wires came out totally soaked in oil! The first two
> were just fine and I got a normal compression reading on the first cyl.
> The cylinders that are full of oil would not give a normal compression
> reading, they just shot my guage sky-high because of all the oil in the
> cyl. I suppose.

Common Saturn problem. You need a new gasket kit. I believe mine was
around $35 for the outer cover ring and the 4 little rings.

When you see a kit, you'll think "Thirty-five dollars for that!" The gasket
looks like it was squeezed out of a silicon chalk gun onto a piece of
cardboard and then wrapped in kitchen-grade Handi-Wrap.

Was an easy, but messy job. Make sure you got a torque wrench for the
bolts. Might want to look and see if the upper engine hanger mount is shot
as well while you're at it (another $85 or so with new bolts).

Mine never leaked again up until the day I got rid of it (Dual-Cam model,
fwiw). Couldn't say much about the Saturn's affinity to use oil though
(especially the stick shift model).

B~

Old April 3rd 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"B. Peg" > wrote

> Common Saturn problem. You need a new gasket kit. I believe mine was
> around $35 for the outer cover ring and the 4 little rings.
>
> When you see a kit, you'll think "Thirty-five dollars for that!" The gasket
> looks like it was squeezed out of a silicon chalk gun onto a piece of
> cardboard and then wrapped in kitchen-grade Handi-Wrap.

You could try to mold your own out of silicone RTV.
Old April 3rd 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

>> When you see a kit, you'll think "Thirty-five dollars for that!" The
>> gasket
>> looks like it was squeezed out of a silicon chalk gun onto a piece of
>> cardboard and then wrapped in kitchen-grade Handi-Wrap.

> You could try to mold your own out of silicone RTV.

I believe you could do it yourself with a RTV in a chalking gun and maybe it
would adhere better as well. It is pretty thick (maybe 1/4 inch in
diameter).

If I had the problem again, I would try it as the Saturn gasket set is
pricey at best.

B~