stripped torx

Old May 22nd 05, 04:18 AM
Dana Rohleder

My Craftsman socket was the first one to break - even before I started using
the impact wrench. Then my neighbor's S/K. That is when I went to NAPA
because it was a 3 mile drive vs. 20 to replace the Craftsman. I bought 4
more at NAPA, broke 2 more with the impact wrench, then gave up. All 3
brands simply twisted halfway down the shaft & broke. I think the reason was
because the head of the bolts is only a couple mm deep, so the weakest part
of the shaft was left without support. Maybe they make some that are
designed for impact wrenches, but I couldn't find any that day.
--
Dana

93 YJ
90 XJ Ltd.
---------------
91 Grand Wagoneer Ltd.
82 Cherokee
76 Cherokee

Old May 22nd 05, 04:28 AM
Dana Rohleder

How did you go about applying heat without mangling the paint? Would the
soldering iron method get it hot enough? If I remember correctly (this was a
couple years ago) after my torx bit fiasco, I think I read somewhere that
you didn't need to get the bolt really hot, but something like 150-200
degrees F and they would release, but I can't verify that. I just gave up
and bought a $6 mirror and Velcro it to my rollbar whenever I take the doors
off. And yes Bill, I do have to use doors occasionally up here when it gets
below zero!
--
Dana

--
93 YJ
90 XJ Ltd.

Old May 22nd 05, 01:36 PM
Mike Romain

I have never seen a set come out without paint damage. It is easy
enough to sand down the hinges and repaint them, but the OP is changing
them so who cares?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 22nd 05, 01:40 PM
wraithyjeep

leslie (Spelling?)tool makes a solid 1 piece socket that is 3/8 impact
sustainable. it is black sold at a/c delco part stores and some uap stores.

"Dana Rohleder" > wrote in message
> My Craftsman socket was the first one to break - even before I started
> using the impact wrench. Then my neighbor's S/K. That is when I went to
> NAPA because it was a 3 mile drive vs. 20 to replace the Craftsman. I
> bought 4 more at NAPA, broke 2 more with the impact wrench, then gave up.
> All 3 brands simply twisted halfway down the shaft & broke. I think the
> reason was because the head of the bolts is only a couple mm deep, so the
> weakest part of the shaft was left without support. Maybe they make some
> that are designed for impact wrenches, but I couldn't find any that day.
> --
> Dana
>
> 93 YJ
> 90 XJ Ltd.
> ---------------
> 91 Grand Wagoneer Ltd.
> 82 Cherokee
> 76 Cherokee
>

> "L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III" > wrote in message
>> Next time buy Craftsman or Snap-On.
>> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
>> http://www.billhughes.com/
>>
>> Dana Rohleder wrote:
>>>
>>> As Mike says, they are put on with a heat-activated thread sealer. I
>>> tried
>>> the impact wrench method suggested by Bill on my YJ - 5 broken torx
>>> sockets
>>> (replaced by NAPA under warranty) and 3 big gouges in my paint later, I
>>> gave
>>> up. I managed to get only one bolt out. Luckily, I didn't strip any
>>> heads,
>>> just broke the sockets - twisted the mothers right off. The thread
>>> sealer is
>>> evil stuff. Heat is likely the only way to get it off, but I don't know
>>> how
>>> you would do it and not ruin your paint. Possibly a soldering iron or
>>> gun
>>> held right on the head would create enough heat to melt it. You may want
>>> talk to a Jeep body shop to see how they do it.
>>>
>>> Dana
>>> 93 YJ
>>> 90 XJ Ltd.
>>> ---------------
>>> 91 Grand Wagoneer Ltd.
>>> 82 Cherokee

Old May 22nd 05, 06:22 PM

http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=587

Chris

Old May 22nd 05, 08:11 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

And don't forget to buy the BMFH and:
http://www.billhughes.com/impactDriver.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old May 25th 05, 01:10 AM
Steve

As far as saving the paint while using heat....could you put in the torx bit
and apply heat to the torx bit...would the heat transfer down the bolt?
how much heat do you need to get the loctite to loosen?

Old May 25th 05, 02:03 PM
Mike Romain

In my experience, the paint must bubble before the thread sealer will
let go. I have tried a few times to 'save the paint' with no success at
all.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 26th 05, 12:11 AM
Steve

Slice the paint with a razor first? Draw around the torx head?

Old May 26th 05, 01:01 AM
Mike Romain

That 'sure' helps the bit fit. I use a mini screwdriver to pick it
too. The thread sealer is on the inside of the body....

Mike

Steve wrote:

> Slice the paint with a razor first? Draw around the torx head?
>
> "Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> > In my experience, the paint must bubble before the thread sealer will
> > let go. I have tried a few times to 'save the paint' with no success at
> > all.
> >
> > Mike
> > 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
> > 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
> >
> > Steve wrote:
> >>
> >> As far as saving the paint while using heat....could you put in the torx
> >> bit
> >> and apply heat to the torx bit...would the heat transfer down the bolt?
> >> how much heat do you need to get the loctite to loosen?

stripped lower door hinge Shawn VW air cooled 6 April 28th 05 03:37 AM
removing stripped spark plug - suggestions? pws Mazda 16 April 18th 05 11:17 PM
Stripped Thread Help Tony Technology 3 December 14th 04 09:16 AM
Stripped Spindle Thread Help Tony 4x4 3 December 13th 04 05:31 AM
Stud stripped on my 1600 cc oil billet cover plate Chuck Townsley VW air cooled 6 November 25th 04 05:03 PM