The reason for the poor m.p.g. on my PT

Old August 23rd 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve Stone

Default The reason for the poor m.p.g. on my PT

I just took a 400 mile round trip beach run with the family.
With a 2006 Touring Edition, non turbo, 3 good sized people, full trunk
area, highway mpg at 65 mph was 25.2 mpg on the Garden State Parkway in NJ.

Old August 23rd 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
NewMan

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 20:08:04 -0400, Bill Putney >
wrote:

>NewMan wrote:
>
>> ...When it came time for the SECOND brake job (after warranty expired) I
>> called a few local parts stores and brake shops, and GM. One local
>> parts store was selling "United" brand brake parts, and that rotor was
>> $25.

>See below United Brake Parts rotors.
>
>> At this time "Wagner" was selling at most places for $90 - $115
>> dollars each.
>>
>> GMs price for a "GM" rotor (they had NO IDEA who the hell made them)
>> was $165 each!
>>
>> When I told everyone about the $25 rotors, they all said the same
>> thing "OHHHH NO! Those cheap ones made in China! They will only last
>> about a year!"

>Nope - Hate to break it to you, but United Brake Parts is NAPA's
>in-house brand - they are private-labeled for NAPA by - wait for it -
>RAYBESTOS (parent company: Dana) - made in Canada IIRC. You did find
>those in a NAPA store, right? 'Cause that's the only place they are
>sold in a United Brake Parts box.

Well there are NAPA stores around here, but I purchased mine from
"VAP" Vancouver Auto Parts. Hey, I don't care where they came from -
the price was right, and they did the job! What more can one ask?

>> In brake shop terms, pads are way cheaper than rotors.

>Mmmm - cheaper I would agree with. Way cheaper? That's arguable. It's
>common to pay $60 per axle ($30/wheel) for an upper-mid grade of pads.
>
>>>...But if the caliper only costs $35-50?

>> A Caliper for $35 to $50???? Who is your supplier! I want to look them
>> up!

>Rock Auto Parts (www.rockauto.com). Drilled down for calipers for my
>'99 Concorde. If I counted right, 28 permutations (left/right,
>front/rear, various manufacturers, different grades, some with pads
>included) of part numbers.
>
>Examples in their list (all prices are netted out after core returned
>and core price refunded):
>Raybestos right front - $32
>Raybestos right front "Professional Grade" *loaded* *with* *pads* - $52
>Raybestos right front "Professional Grade" *loaded* *with* "Super
> Premium" ceramic pads - $62
>
>Similar results on www.napaonline.com
>
>BTW - I just checked calipers for your Corsica at napaonline.com and
>Rock Auto:
>Prices ranged from $17 to $37 w/o pads on both sites.
>Rock Auto - Raybestos Prfessional Grade *with* *pads*: $38!
>
>Next question!
>
>Bill Putney
>(To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
>address with the letter 'x')

Thanks Bill!
Old August 24th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Whoever

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Steve Stone wrote:

> I just took a 400 mile round trip beach run with the family.
> With a 2006 Touring Edition, non turbo, 3 good sized people, full trunk
> area, highway mpg at 65 mph was 25.2 mpg on the Garden State Parkway in NJ.

In your PT? That seems pretty poor mileage. I would expect my Voyager to
achieve a similar mpg over a long distance at 65mph.

Old August 24th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve Stone

> In your PT? That seems pretty poor mileage. I would expect my Voyager to
> achieve a similar mpg over a long distance at 65mph.

The PT is not a Voyager. The Voyager will get better MPG than the PT.
My 88 New Yorker 3.0 gets better mpg than my PT