MFFY du jour...

Old March 14th 05, 06:31 PM
Big Bill

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:43:18 -0800, The Real Bev
> wrote:

>Arrogance (like greed) is in the mind of the wimpy observer. Each of us
>deeply disapproves of those who are seen to be milking the system in
>ways that we ourselves cannot do.

I think you need to read better.
I have a handicap plate.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 14th 05, 06:33 PM
Big Bill

:

>> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 21:47:50 GMT, Arif Khokar >
>> wrote:

>>>Would the reason you're alluding to have anything to do with
>>>claudication? If so, a periphral vascular bypass operation should solve
>>>that problem.

>> You and Daniel are showing a problem in your attitudes and knowledge.
>> It's not up to you to make any judgements in the use of handicapped
>> plates/plackards, or offer medical advice. That's a verifiable fact.
>>

>As citizens,we have every right to make judgements.
>Or question a possible misuse of handicapped placards or parking spaces.

Ok, let's take that at face value. You have that right.
Is it a smart thing to make those judgements public, and defend them
after it's been shown that you don't have the wherewithall to make
such judgements accurately?
I think not.
Obviously, others disagree.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 14th 05, 06:40 PM
Big Bill

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 05:31:38 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
> wrote:

>"Big Bill" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 01:34:10 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
>> > wrote:

>> My point is that it's sometimes very difficult to tell who's got what.
>> As I elaborated in an earlier post, in my case, you might well get the
>> idea that the plate isn't warranted, as I can walk pretty well (I do
>> have a limp that's not always obvious).
>> Maybe because of my situation, I am pretty 'militant' on saying that
>> others do not have the knowledge to question the use of those plates.

>ITA sometimes it's hard to tell. I'd say most of the time, maybe 85%. It's
>the other 15% that concerns me.

Let me ask: why does this concern you? Are they taking up a handicap
space that you want to use?
Where did you get the 15% figure from?

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 14th 05, 06:42 PM
Big Bill

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:41:42 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"
> wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, Big Bill wrote:
>
>> Maybe because of my situation, I am pretty 'militant' on saying that
>> others do not have the knowledge to question the use of those plates.

>You ungrateful little puke. You ought to be thankful that everyday
>citizens are on the lookout for those who take your reserved parking
>spaces just because they're convenient. If your ill-considered wish were
>granted and everybody stopped caring who parks in handicap spaces, it's
>fairly likely you'd have a MUCH harder time of life. So, I suggest you
>suck it up, buttercup.

I think you need to read a little better.
I'm talking about those self-important idiots who think they are able
to make a medical diagnosis through observing someone for a few
seconds. Does this include you?

>> Becasue of an often expressed opinion by several here that they would
>> like to take action when they decide the plates are being abused.

>Damn right. And you're not stopping me.

Obviously, it does include you.
No, I can't stop you from being an arrogant prick.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 14th 05, 06:45 PM
Big Bill

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 01:08:32 -0800, "Daniel W. Rouse Jr."
> wrote:

>"Harry K" > wrote in message
roups.com...

>> John David Galt wrote:

>> do

>> no
>> >
>> > That I can believe. But climbing into a jacked-up truck? Get real.

>> need
>> >
>> > No matter, people like him (and me) do have good cause to call the

>> cops
>> > and let you explain it to them. Because nearly all people who look
>> > like they're abusing their handicap plates, ARE.

>> In my case you will find my parking in DP slots quite often. Looking
>> at me you couldn't tell that anything was wrong. You would be correct,
>> there isn't. I park in DP spots because my wife is disabled and I am
>> taking her there or picking her up. Don't assume that a capable person
>> parking in a DP spot doesn't have the right to do so. That said, there
>> are too many abuses of the priviledge.
>>

>This issue appears to be a symptom of the lack of classification for the
>disabled placards, at least IMHO.
>
>They should have had like a DP-A for an otherwise "able-bodied" handicap and
>DP-B for an otherwise "disabling" handicap.
>
>That way, while it would still nobody's business what a person's handicap
>might be, someone with a DP-A placard (if it actually existed) wouldn't be
>judged as automatically abusing a DP because they appeared to be walking
>just fine.

No such classification is needed. The fact that it takes a doctor's
recommendation is all the classification others need.
The idea that other drivers should be included in the system of
granting handicapped plates is absurd on its face; do you have the
medical knowledge to oversee such classification? What percentage of
drivers do you think actually have the knowledge to make such
judgements?

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 14th 05, 06:49 PM
Big Bill

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 03:35:53 -0500, "Magnulus"
> wrote:

> It's just pure laziness. Most Americans could use the exercise from
>having to park a little further away.
>
> I remember reading a sick bit of news- apparrently they have car doors now
>that open and close themselves. Only in America can people be that lazy.

When you have both arms full of groceries, it's mighty handy.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 14th 05, 07:26 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Big Bill wrote:

> No, I can't stop you from being an arrogant prick.

You will have to decide whether you prefer the kind of arrogance that
causes able-bodied people to steal your handicapped space, or the kind of
arrogance that causes public-minded people to call them on it.

Old March 14th 05, 07:39 PM
The Real Bev

"Daniel J. Stern" wrote:

> > >That I can believe. But climbing into a jacked-up truck? Get real. No
> > >matter, people like him (and me) do have good cause to call the cops
> > >and let you explain it to them. Because nearly all people who look
> > >like they're abusing their handicap plates, ARE.

> > And you are in the position to make that judgement because... ?

> Because anyone sufficiently hale and hearty to climb up into (and down out
> of) a monster truck, and operate its manual transmission, is almost
> certainly sufficiently hale and hearty to walk seven additional parking
> spaces to the goddamned grocery.

Suppose the truck belongs to a newly blind (gasoline explosion, maybe)
person who has a friend drive him/her to the market? Should (s)he sell
his/her beloved truck and buy a car more appropriate to a blind person?
What car might that be? One with those REALLY bright blue headlights?

Yeah, I know, but sometimes the goddam nits scream PICK ME!

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old March 14th 05, 07:58 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, The Real Bev wrote:

> > Because anyone sufficiently hale and hearty to climb up into (and down
> > out of) a monster truck, and operate its manual transmission, is
> > almost certainly sufficiently hale and hearty to walk seven additional
> > parking spaces to the goddamned grocery.

> Suppose the truck belongs to a newly blind (gasoline explosion, maybe)
> person who has a friend drive him/her to the market?

....which would of course explain why the *lone* driver parks the truck in
the handicap space, hops down, saunters jauntily into the coffee shop,
flirts with the barista, orders something expensive, saunters jauntily
back out to the parking lot, climbs up into the driver's seat and drives
off, right?

MFFY Du Jour Mike Z. Helm Driving 51 April 10th 05 08:30 PM
I Hope That MFFY Peed His Pants Daniel W. Rouse Jr. Driving 10 February 11th 05 05:25 PM
Speeding: the fundamental cause of MFFY Daniel W. Rouse Jr. Driving 82 December 23rd 04 01:10 AM