Building a bridge??

Old June 1st 05, 01:45 PM
FrankW

Default Building a bridge??

Hello Group
At our hunt camp we have a crossing in a swamp
that is no problem for my ARGO6X6 (We call it "Argo Hole"
as it was the first place I got stuck with my new argo at the time
It got hung up on a stump. To make it easier for the argo to cross
we piled tree branches across it to hold up the argo on top of the peat
bog. Since the argo is a six wheeler and with the branches it keeps it
on top like a snowmobile on top of snow)

but I would like to cross it with my Rubicon.
The crossing is about 20-30 meters long
in a peat bog type of swamp. It has submerged
stumps and logs. I'm thinking a log bridge
might hold up a Jeep. Anyone have any pointers
or examples in which I might find useful in
building such a bridge. I am in no way a bridge
Engineer :-)

Thanks in advance
Frank

Old June 1st 05, 02:02 PM
Mike Romain

A corduroy road comes to mind. This is 6-8', 4- 6" thick or so logs
laid crosswise. The stumps have to be cut down or avoided.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old June 1st 05, 04:04 PM
Stephen Cowell

"FrankW" > wrote in message

> but I would like to cross it with my Rubicon.

The mind boggles at the metaphor...
"The die is cast".
__
Steve
ps lose the stumps imo
..

Old June 1st 05, 06:29 PM
Mike Romain

LOL!

Mike

Old June 1st 05, 08:59 PM
JohnM

FrankW wrote:
> Hello Group
> At our hunt camp we have a crossing in a swamp
> that is no problem for my ARGO6X6 (We call it "Argo Hole"
> as it was the first place I got stuck with my new argo at the time
> It got hung up on a stump. To make it easier for the argo to cross
> we piled tree branches across it to hold up the argo on top of the peat
> bog. Since the argo is a six wheeler and with the branches it keeps it
> on top like a snowmobile on top of snow)
>
> but I would like to cross it with my Rubicon.
> The crossing is about 20-30 meters long
> in a peat bog type of swamp. It has submerged
> stumps and logs. I'm thinking a log bridge
> might hold up a Jeep. Anyone have any pointers
> or examples in which I might find useful in
> building such a bridge. I am in no way a bridge
> Engineer :-)
>
> Thanks in advance
> Frank

Get a pair of them fiberglass mats like the utility trucks carry.

John
Old June 2nd 05, 11:56 AM
FrankW

Hey! we don't have a name for that swamp.
Maybe I'll call it the "Rubicon Swamp" :-)
(I'm the official map keeper of our sacred hunting teritory)

I'm thinking, screw it. I'll just use my Argo6X6

Old June 2nd 05, 01:18 PM
Mike Romain

No no no no..... That is just wrong. You only need a nice winch up
front to get across almost anything in a Jeep!

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

FrankW wrote:

> Hey! we don't have a name for that swamp.
> Maybe I'll call it the "Rubicon Swamp" :-)
> (I'm the official map keeper of our sacred hunting teritory)
>
> I'm thinking, screw it. I'll just use my Argo6X6
>
> Stephen Cowell wrote:
> > "FrankW" > wrote in message
> >
> > ..
> >

> >>but I would like to cross it with my Rubicon.

> > The mind boggles at the metaphor...
> > "The die is cast".
> > __
> > Steve
> > ps lose the stumps imo
> > .

Building an engine? [email protected] VW air cooled 6 April 26th 05 09:23 PM
I am going to jump off a bridge [email protected] Ford Explorer 2 March 15th 05 08:00 PM
Building A Woody Hard Top HarryS Jeep 11 March 8th 05 05:04 PM
Baja Building Website Sarah Taylor VW air cooled 3 February 23rd 05 08:03 PM
building a rotisserie Mark Ford Mustang 5 November 11th 04 03:50 AM