new rear diff, possible?

Old February 22nd 05, 09:29 PM
Grand Jeep

Default new rear diff, possible?

Currently have stock 04 JGC with Quadra-Trac-II
Rear end is a Dana44, traditional "open diff".

Anyone know if I could install a limited-slip diff in it's place? (looking
for the same system that comes with Quadra-Drive equipped jeeps, so I can
keep what's left of my warranty)
Can a the vari-lock limited slip diff directly replace my stock D44 open
diff?

Old February 22nd 05, 10:03 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I would say that would be a question for you local Stealership. I
can tell you that Chrysler in Escondido, California didn't stand behind
a the rear end they stalled on this New Dodge under warranty:
http://www.billhughes.com/jeeptrailer.jpg That belongs to my Son's
Brother-in-law.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old February 22nd 05, 11:07 PM
Jeff Strickland

Yes, there is a limited slip that will fit your D44.

Old February 22nd 05, 11:33 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I believe the poster was asking about installing the Vari-LokTM
progressive axle
http://www.mcguiganmotors.com/grand_cherokee_4wd.htm
http://web.archive.org/web/200403222.../chero4wd.html
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 23rd 05, 03:24 PM
Grand Jeep

Will the Vari-lok fit the dana 44?
I believe the vari-lok was an option for my model jeep, so it seems logical
that they could replace my open diff with the vari-lok?

Old February 25th 05, 05:39 PM
Jeff Strickland

If they make a vari lock for the D44, I can't imagine why it couldn't be put
into a Jeep.

Old February 23rd 05, 04:37 PM
Steve

Yes, your Dana 30 and Dana 44 axles are the same as those in the
Quadra-Drive models, minus the Vari-Loks of course. Should fit no problem.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/varilok.jpg
http://www.wjjeeps.com/tcases.htm

I'm guessing your dealer will want thousands just to do the rear.

Unless you confirm the warranty thing, you might be better of with
something like a TrueTrac:

http://www.4wdworld.com.au/products/detroit/detroit.htm

Steve
http://xjeep.dyndns.org

Old February 23rd 05, 05:31 PM
Jerry Bransford

Um, that Grand Cherokee's aluminum housing Dana 44 is different from the
cast iron housing Dana 44 used in a TJ and I seriously doubt the Varilok
or much else inside the axle will fit.

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old February 23rd 05, 06:02 PM
Grand Jeep

I'm no metallurgist, but the housing sure looks like cast iron and not
aluminum. Of course, this is based solely on external appearance.

Old February 23rd 05, 07:44 PM
Steve

Scratch the surface to see.

http://jeep.avtograd.ru/Grand_Cherok.../Dana44_crack/