why is rfactor

Old July 24th 05, 02:18 AM
Brendan Hoefs

Default why is rfactor

why is r factor going to be better online that gtr if it uses the same
engine?

Old July 24th 05, 02:57 AM
Dave Henrie

"Brendan Hoefs" > wrote in news:42e2ec6a$0$29468
:

> why is r factor going to be better online that gtr if it uses the same
> engine?

It does not. Is that enough of an answer? GTR is F1c + rFactor is
F1c + GTR ++ It has many of the same traits, but haven't you been looking
at the muliplayer demo? They have had much better sucess than either F1c
or GTR online. The Motor software engine v2.x that will be used in rF is
way beyond even GTR in many areas. The lighting alone should be worth the
drive.
But how will Multi be? I think the fact we haven't seen tons of posts
complaining about the demo could be a good indication. The GTR threads
over at RSC are full of online problems. It seems that the rfactor forums
just aren't raising the same issues. So we may HOPE it will do ok.
I think I can say with 99% certainty, that the Papy Bred users will be
just a critical of rF as any ISI title, but the fact they have been working
on Multiplayer issues for almost a year certainly is a positive sign.
I don't think we will see 40+ online packs, but I think 20+ will be an
attainable goal. The good news is....we won't have too much longer to sit
around here and speculate.

The next great online title 'should' be iRacing from the ex Papy crew.
But they have several major hurdles to overcome before we see their work.
A) They have never had real time weather. B) They have lately limited
their physics to one flavor, So multi-class simming will be difficult to
acheive. C)They have not shown real-time lighting, which rF has already
acheived. D) they have not ever figured out what to do about wall riding
or wheel to wheel contact. Things that 'should' have been fixed back in
the N3 days. E) The AI abilities are often either brilliant or incredibly
stupid. GTR has shown that AI can behave in a manner that simulates great
racing.
They do know plenty about online community, which is the single greatest
weakness of any ISI product. And that gives me an excellant reminder to
start a new thread that I have been pondering lately.

dave henrie

Old July 24th 05, 05:08 AM

The rfactor demo hasn't impressed me that much in terms of its online
capabilites, although improved it still seems flaky like previous ISI
titles.

Old July 24th 05, 06:52 AM
Alan Bernardo

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> The rfactor demo hasn't impressed me that much in terms of its online
> capabilites, although improved it still seems flaky like previous ISI
> titles.

Nothing beats LFS S2 for online racing. Best MP around.

Alanb

Old July 24th 05, 09:01 AM

Alan Bernardo wrote:

> Nothing beats LFS S2 for online racing. Best MP around.
>
> Alanb

LFS does have very good multi no doubt and it is fun online but for me
at least the physics are not totally convincing.

Old July 24th 05, 02:06 PM
Byron Forbes

http://www.rfactor.net/

Old July 24th 05, 03:23 PM
Jan Verschueren

"Dave Henrie" wrote...
>> <snip>

> It does not. <snip>

True.

> But how will Multi be? I think the fact we haven't seen tons
> of posts complaining about the demo could be a good indication.

rFactor corrects some of the issues related to the "ISI" multi, like the
join pauses, but is, in essence, no better than GTR in that department.

Compare a GTR/rFactor client replay with, say, one of a 30 entries NR2003
race and cringe.

Jan.
=---

Old July 24th 05, 06:23 PM
Alan Bernardo

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Alan Bernardo wrote:
>
>> Nothing beats LFS S2 for online racing. Best MP around.
>>
>> Alanb

> LFS does have very good multi no doubt and it is fun online but for me
> at least the physics are not totally convincing.

Huh? Explain please.

Alanb

Old July 24th 05, 06:28 PM
Alan Bernardo

"Byron Forbes" > wrote in message
> http://www.rfactor.net/
>

> "Brendan Hoefs" > wrote in message
>> why is r factor going to be better online that gtr if it uses the same
>> engine?

Wow, man-- that really explains it. The guy asks a question which is
specific enough and you give him a web site?

That would be like someone asking, "Say, how does the Constitution of the
United States protect citizens' rights?

And then someone comes back with,

www.usconstitution.org

If you could answer the guy's question, that would be nice. I'd like to
hear it myself.

Alanb

Old July 25th 05, 01:36 AM
elrikk

"Alan Bernardo" > wrote in message

> "Byron Forbes" > wrote in message

> > http://www.rfactor.net/
> >

> > "Brendan Hoefs" > wrote in message
> >> why is r factor going to be better online that gtr if it uses the same
> >> engine?
> >>

> Wow, man-- that really explains it. The guy asks a question which is
> specific enough and you give him a web site?
>
> That would be like someone asking, "Say, how does the Constitution of the
> United States protect citizens' rights?
>
> And then someone comes back with,
>
> www.usconstitution.org
>
> If you could answer the guy's question, that would be nice. I'd like to
> hear it myself.
>
> Alanb

This, from the guy who usually answers most questions with "Why don't you
look it up for yourself" or some such helpfull advice. ;o)

At least he gave him a web site to check out.

Elrikk

rFactor Multi ? Ed White Simulators 2 March 16th 05 08:39 PM
If multiplayer code in NSR is as good as rFactor... Bill Bollinger Simulators 0 February 7th 05 05:12 AM
rFactor MP Test Fix: unfortunately doesn't fix ... :( Hans de Heer Simulators 7 January 15th 05 04:16 PM
rFactor demo - any fix? [email protected] Simulators 23 January 15th 05 01:47 PM
rFactor: Fix available for "Trymedia" problem! Hans de Heer Simulators 1 January 15th 05 01:43 PM