My 1990 Jeep Cherokee won't shift

Old July 3rd 05, 07:11 AM
davees90JEEP

Default My 1990 Jeep Cherokee won't shift

My Jeep cherokee 4x4 has an automatic transmission with overdrive.The
problem I am having is with the transmission not wanting to shift. In
order for me to get it to shift i litterally have to wind the engine out.
It shifts from low to second gear at 35 mph and then will not shift into
the next gear until you reach 65 mph. It seems to be intermittant as
yesterday when I first drove it it worked perfectly but later the same day
it started acting up again and still is not right. Can anyone give me some
advise. I am thinking that it could be the electronic shifting control
module, but I know nothing about this, Thanks

Old July 3rd 05, 11:26 AM
Coasty

Have you ever done any maintenance on the tranny, flush (not drain oil) new
filter every 30K (cost $150.00 each flush), if not it is time for a new
tranny.

--
Coasty
SEMPAR PARATUS

Remove The SPOOGE To Reply
lkaboutautos.com...

Old July 3rd 05, 02:26 PM
Greg

Freind bought a 1975 cherokee off ebay, the seller said the tranny was
shot, same symptoms as you disscribe, I went with freind to get cherokee, he
changed the $9.00 tranny filter and away it went

Old July 3rd 05, 02:47 PM
Mike Romain

The shift points are somewhat controlled by the throttle position
sensor. The plug and socket on it get corroded. I clean them with a
spray contact cleaner, then use some dielectric grease on the plug seal
skirt which seems to last at least a couple years.

WD40 will also work as a cleaner in a pinch, but the job doesn't last
long.

If cleaning doesn't help, then you can test it with a multimeter. On
ohms, it will vary the resistance going up on the center wire and one
side wire, and vary going opposite on the center wire and the other side
wire. The resistance must be smooth.

There are voltage tests for it too. You have the engine key on run and
backprobe the plug. The voltage should go from .02V to 4.8V. Same deal
as above, one side goes up from .02 and the other side goes down to
0.02V and it must be a smooth transition.

Hope this helps,

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's