headlight problem--advice needed

Old July 2nd 05, 05:56 PM
RB

Default headlight problem--advice needed

Got a '96 Maxima that in which right side headlight bulbs are burning out
one right after another. I've gone through about 6 bulbs, lately.

I've changed these "don't touch" kinds of bulbs many times, and know the
problem isn't that the bulbs are being touched during the install. That
definitely isn't the problem.

Given the touch thing isn't the problem, what is a likely cause of why I'm
going through so many bulbs? And, how do I break the cycle?

Old July 2nd 05, 07:03 PM

"RB" > wrote in message
> Got a '96 Maxima that in which right side headlight bulbs are burning out
> one right after another. I've gone through about 6 bulbs, lately.
>
> I've changed these "don't touch" kinds of bulbs many times, and know the
> problem isn't that the bulbs are being touched during the install. That
> definitely isn't the problem.
>
> Given the touch thing isn't the problem, what is a likely cause of why

I'm
> going through so many bulbs? And, how do I break the cycle?

When I have had problems like this, I have usually found there is some sort
of intermittently
bad connection at that lamp. The make-break sequence puts a strain on bulbs
and they
often fail very quickly.

Your lamps are not cracked, are they?

Old July 2nd 05, 09:47 PM
RB

}}} Your lamps are not cracked, are they? {{{

Not that I've noticed. I'll have to look closer at future replacements,
though.

What wiring stuff should I look for?

Old July 3rd 05, 12:06 AM

"RB" > wrote in message
> }}} Your lamps are not cracked, are they? {{{
>
> Not that I've noticed. I'll have to look closer at future replacements,
> though.
>
> What wiring stuff should I look for?

Anything that might cause an intermittent condition...socket, grounds, water
in the system,
undue vibration from loose mounting hardware,etc.

I had one Ford that had condensation buildup in the trunk, and it blew
taillights like crazy. Electrically, that probably shouldn't happen, but it
did. I fixed the leak, cleaned the sockets and packed them with grease, and
the problem was solved.

Maybe someone else can give you more detailed info.

Old July 3rd 05, 02:10 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, RB wrote:

> Got a '96 Maxima that in which right side headlight bulbs are burning
> out one right after another. I've gone through about 6 bulbs, lately.
> I've changed these "don't touch" kinds of bulbs many times, and know the
> problem isn't that the bulbs are being touched during the install.
> That definitely isn't the problem. Given the touch thing isn't the
> problem, what is a likely cause of why I'm going through so many bulbs?
> And, how do I break the cycle?

Usually repeated bulb failure in a single headlamp is related either to
liquid water in the headlamp hitting and killing the bulbs -- check for
lens cracks, compromised seals, clogged vents and drains, standing water
in headlamp assembly after rainstorm or car wash -- or by insufficient
tension being applied to the bulb by the bulb holder. This lets the bulb
rattle around with road vibration, and they fail quickly. Your '96 Maxima
uses plastic-base bulbs with an integrated O-ring. They should seat firmly
in the headlamp with no looseness even without the retainer ring. If not,
something's the matter with the headlamp itself.

Of course, you have to buy good-quality bulbs.

DS