More proof that incresed speed does not equal incresed death

Old June 30th 05, 03:00 AM
Bernard Farquart

Default More proof that incresed speed does not equal incresed death

Some rational people are still able to study the issue.

http://www.turnto10.com/news/4640037/detail.html

F*ck you Carl, Judy et.al.

Bernard

Old June 30th 05, 03:37 AM
Laura Bush murdered her boy friend

Bernard Farquart wrote:
> Some rational people are still able to study the issue.
>
> http://www.turnto10.com/news/4640037/detail.html
>
> F*ck you Carl, Judy et.al.
>
> Bernard

HAHA. I see why you gave no quote from the article. Here's what it
says

"Author Robert O. Yowell said that after nationalization in 1974, there
was a decrease in highway deaths that was greater than the prior trend.
But the long-term decreases continued even when speed limits stayed the
same."

So he admits that that the lower SL of 1974 caused an immediate drop in
fatalities but then as speed limits stayed the same, there was no
further drop. Exactly as expected.

Old June 30th 05, 03:46 AM

Laura Bush murdered her boy friend wrote:
> Bernard Farquart wrote:
> > Some rational people are still able to study the issue.
> >
> > http://www.turnto10.com/news/4640037/detail.html
> >
> > F*ck you Carl, Judy et.al.
> >
> > Bernard

> HAHA. I see why you gave no quote from the article. Here's what it
> says
>
> "Author Robert O. Yowell said that after nationalization in 1974, there
> was a decrease in highway deaths that was greater than the prior trend.
> But the long-term decreases continued even when speed limits stayed the
> same."
>
> So he admits that that the lower SL of 1974 caused an immediate drop in
> fatalities but then as speed limits stayed the same, there was no
> further drop. Exactly as expected.

By your own statement, the trend continued *after* the nationalization
in 1974, and speed limits have been steadily increasing.

I see you're new to this "higher thought" process. Give it some time
and practice, and you may be able to progress past the second grade on
your third or fourth try.

Old June 30th 05, 01:10 PM
Larry Bud

Laura Bush murdered her boy friend wrote:
> Bernard Farquart wrote:
> > Some rational people are still able to study the issue.
> >
> > http://www.turnto10.com/news/4640037/detail.html
> >
> > F*ck you Carl, Judy et.al.
> >
> > Bernard

> HAHA. I see why you gave no quote from the article. Here's what it
> says
>
> "Author Robert O. Yowell said that after nationalization in 1974, there
> was a decrease in highway deaths that was greater than the prior trend.
> But the long-term decreases continued even when speed limits stayed the
> same."
>
> So he admits that that the lower SL of 1974 caused an immediate drop in
> fatalities but then as speed limits stayed the same, there was no
> further drop. Exactly as expected.

He "admits" no such thing. Correlation != causation.

Old June 30th 05, 02:03 PM
Ed White

All I got from the article is that the death rate is declining. The
actual reasons for the decline were not adequately explained. And in
fact, I think the first line was meant to indicate something not
actually supported by the study. If you stick around to the last line,
the article did state - "technical progress in car manufacturing,
increased seatbelt use, higher drinking ages, and better road
maintenance had greater effects on the fatality rate" <than speeds?>.

No where in the article do I see any evidence that increasing speed
limits is a cause of the declining death rate. Although the first line
suggests that increasing speed limits is not a factor in highway
fatalities, this is not actually the case. The first line could have
just as easily been reworded to say "Despite increased speed limits the
death rate is declining, a new study says." If the line had been
written this way, would you have been so quick to post this link as
"proof" that increasing speed does not lead to an increase in
fatalities, all other factors being held constant?

Of course it would be nice to see the actual study instead of a instead
of a six line "news" report of the study. However, from what was
actully printed, I see no evidence either way as to the effect of speed
limits on the highway fatality rate.

Ed

Old June 30th 05, 04:00 PM

In article . com>,
"Ed White" > wrote:

> Of course it would be nice to see the actual study instead of a instead
> of a six line "news" report of the study. However, from what was
> actully printed, I see no evidence either way as to the effect of speed
> limits on the highway fatality rate.
>
> Ed

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi...8.2005.00152.x

Ivan
Old June 30th 05, 05:27 PM

Uncle Buck wrote:

> Are you reading what you quoted? It says that the long-term decreases
> continued, not that there was no further drop. I.e., they continued
> to drop even when speed limits remained the same.

Go to this website and you'll see what he means. We had the huge drop
in 74 when the speed limit was lowered and then the death totals stayed
constant the two following years while the SL also stayed constant.
That says the big drop was entirely due to the lowered SL.

http://www.publicpurpose.com/hwy-fatal57+.htm

Old June 30th 05, 05:44 PM
David W. Poole, Jr.

On 30 Jun 2005 09:27:24 -0700, "Laura Bush murdered her boy friend"
> was understood to have stated the following:

>Uncle Buck wrote:
>>
>> Are you reading what you quoted? It says that the long-term decreases
>> continued, not that there was no further drop. I.e., they continued
>> to drop even when speed limits remained the same.

>Go to this website and you'll see what he means. We had the huge drop
>in 74 when the speed limit was lowered and then the death totals stayed
>constant the two following years while the SL also stayed constant.
>That says the big drop was entirely due to the lowered SL.
>
>http://www.publicpurpose.com/hwy-fatal57+.htm

Sorry, but I don't believe any idiot that's stupid enough to read
prisonplanet.com, infowars.com, or David Icke.

--

The last song I started on my PC was: Candlebox - Change - Candlebox
K:\Audio\Candlebox\Candlebox\02-Change.mp3
Old June 30th 05, 05:50 PM
C. E. White

> wrote in message
> In article . com>,
> "Ed White" > wrote:
>
> > Of course it would be nice to see the actual study instead of a instead
> > of a six line "news" report of the study. However, from what was
> > actully printed, I see no evidence either way as to the effect of speed
> > limits on the highway fatality rate.
> >
> > Ed

> http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi...8.2005.00152.x

Thanks, that provided a little more information, but I am not prepared to
purchase the full study. I would like to see how they factored out declines
in the fatality rate due to improvements in equipments versus changes in
speed limits. I also tend to discount comparisons based on the difference in
posted speed limits between states. What actually matters for a valid
comparison is the actual speed of traffic, not the speed limits. Possibly
this is addressed in the full study. Because of the lack of enforcement (or
should I say because people ignore them), posted speed limits are not a good
indicator of actual average speeds.

Regards,

Ed White

Old June 30th 05, 05:58 PM
C. E. White

"Uncle Buck" > wrote in message
> On 29 Jun 2005 19:37:04 -0700, "Laura Bush murdered her boy friend"
> > wrote:
>

> >Bernard Farquart wrote:
> >> Some rational people are still able to study the issue.
> >>
> >> http://www.turnto10.com/news/4640037/detail.html
> >>
> >> F*ck you Carl, Judy et.al.
> >>
> >> Bernard

> >HAHA. I see why you gave no quote from the article. Here's what it
> >says
> >
> >"Author Robert O. Yowell said that after nationalization in 1974, there
> >was a decrease in highway deaths that was greater than the prior trend.
> >But the long-term decreases continued even when speed limits stayed the
> >same."
> >
> >So he admits that that the lower SL of 1974 caused an immediate drop in
> >fatalities but then as speed limits stayed the same, there was no
> >further drop. Exactly as expected.

> Are you reading what you quoted? It says that the long-term decreases
> continued, not that there was no further drop. I.e., they continued
> to drop even when speed limits remained the same.

But this does not imply that lowering the speed limit did not reduce the
fatality rate. There are multiple factors at work. It could be that if the
speed limits had been lowered even further, then the fatality rate would
have decreased even more. The decrease in fatality rates is mostly driven by
equipment improvements. Until you factor these out, it is difficult to know
the actual effect of changes in speed limits alone. Plus, speed limits are
not generally obeyed, so speed limits are not even a good indicator of
actual speeds. I could just as well claim that the fatality rate is
declining becasue gas prices are increasing. In fact I am willing to predict
that if gas prices are raised to $25 a gallon, the fatality rate will drop
like a rock.

Regards,

Ed White