Type IV motor in a Beetle

Old November 5th 04, 09:12 AM
Jeff Kleier

Default Type IV motor in a Beetle

I was wondering if anyone has performed the conversion of putting a Type
IV motor into your Beetle. From what I've read, the Type IV is stronger
and more reliable than the Type 1 motor. I was wanting to know if
anyone had done the conversion and if they were happy with it.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Let me thank you all in
advance.

Old November 5th 04, 01:27 PM
David

http://www.nextgen-usa.com/

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/Home_Page.htm

Old November 5th 04, 04:00 PM
Jan Andersson

Jeff Kleier wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has performed the conversion of putting a Type
> IV motor into your Beetle. From what I've read, the Type IV is stronger
> and more reliable than the Type 1 motor. I was wanting to know if
> anyone had done the conversion and if they were happy with it.
>
> Any information would be greatly appreciated. Let me thank you all in
> advance.

I did it.

I used 2 liter internals, and 1,8 liter case and heads. 1.8 carburated
heads have bigger valves.

I also bought a street cam from www.aircooled.net along with some other
bits and pieces.
I used 8,7:1 compression ratio, since I designed the engine to be used
in a heavy bus. For a beetle appliucation, I'd go a little over 9:1
compression, if good high octane gasoline is available. Depends on the
cam profile of course.

And I did the Joe Cali conversion, with a slight twist, trying to
achieve the same airflow pattern as the DTM, which I studied carefully
at my house first. (Ordered one for a friend).

I bought the special conversion parts from Oregon Performance, which is
no longer producing them. Aircooled.net sells complete kits.

Then I dressed the engine up with a pair od 40mm dellortos and threw in
a cheap 009 distributor. I built the header exhaust myself.

Dyno results from an identical setup say it should produce at least 130
horses.

Reliable as hell, LOADS of torque, and it pulls.. and pullls.. and
pullls...
And runs cool. VERY cool.

I love it. I only wish I could buy the 96mm pistons and drill the cyls
out to match, it would be perfect for my needs.

Jan
Old November 8th 04, 05:41 AM
Jake Raby

I have performed this hundreds of times and can tell you that I have
never had one customer that converted to type IV power my way, go back
to a Type I engine- Never....
Old November 10th 04, 05:19 AM
Jeff Kleier

OK, sounds great so far. Now the big question:
What is the largest Type IV motor that will fit under the decklid,
without those goofy decklid standoffs?

In the lastest Scat catalog, they had their displacement chart and I saw
combos that were around 3 liters and sightly more; this gave me
chills!!! A 3L Bug running around? That's just sick!

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Old November 10th 04, 04:00 PM
P.J.Berg

Jeff Kleier wrote:
> OK, sounds great so far. Now the big question:
> What is the largest Type IV motor that will fit under the decklid,
> without those goofy decklid standoffs?
>
> In the lastest Scat catalog, they had their displacement chart and I
> saw combos that were around 3 liters and sightly more; this gave me
> chills!!! A 3L Bug running around? That's just sick!
>
> Thanks for the feedback so far!

The largest stock/factory made T4 engine was a 2L..

Go here for all the info you need: www.shoptalkforums.com

J.

Old November 10th 04, 10:05 PM
Joe Cali Next Generation-usa

"P.J.Berg" > wrote in message news:<QWqkd.699$3N5.670@amstwist00>...
> Jeff Kleier wrote:
> > OK, sounds great so far. Now the big question:
> > What is the largest Type IV motor that will fit under the decklid,
> > without those goofy decklid standoffs?
> >
> > In the lastest Scat catalog, they had their displacement chart and I
> > saw combos that were around 3 liters and sightly more; this gave me
> > chills!!! A 3L Bug running around? That's just sick!
> >
> > Thanks for the feedback so far!

> The largest stock/factory made T4 engine was a 2L..
>
> Go here for all the info you need: www.shoptalkforums.com
>

> J.

When you convert to an upright it depends on the Fanhousing you buy.
The DTM and my do it your self T-1 fanhousing fits no problem. The
size of the engine does not matter. I have seen guys with a 1800 T-4
and used a Porsche 911 style fan housing and they could not close the
hood. Yet I have seen up to 2.7 using a DTM and no problem, except
traffic tickets.
Joe