Stuck bolt

Old June 8th 05, 02:12 AM
JHI

Default Stuck bolt

I brought my 1997 Dodge Intrepid into the shop for new rear struts. They
could not do the job because they could not remove the lower bolts (the one
that run parallel to the ground). He told me that he broke 2 stainless
sockets.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks.

Old June 8th 05, 02:34 AM
stevefrench

This may not sound helpful but I would suggest that you spray a lot of WD40
on them on one day and then bring them to someone else (another mechanic)
the next day.
Some are better at turning wrenches than others.
Also, who knows (?) , maybe the mechanic was in a hurry to get out of work
and exagerated about the broken sockets.
I would take it to another shop after you soak it a day in the WD40

Old June 8th 05, 02:39 AM
Nate Nagel

WD-40 sucks, use a real penetrating oil like Kroil or Wuerth Rost Off.
PB Blaster works OK, just not as well as the other two (but you're more
likely to find it in a store)

WD-40 is great for cleaning locks and stuff and for drying out your
distributor cap... but as a penetrating oil I've never had much luck
with it...

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old June 8th 05, 02:36 AM
Nate Nagel

JHI wrote:
> I brought my 1997 Dodge Intrepid into the shop for new rear struts. They
> could not do the job because they could not remove the lower bolts (the one
> that run parallel to the ground). He told me that he broke 2 stainless
> sockets.
>
> Any suggestions are welcomed.
>
> Thanks.

penetrating oil, air tools, finally just cut the mother off and replace
it. I haven't a clue what the lower shock bolt on an Intrepid looks
like, but it surely is just a standard bolt and nut like what I'd
consider a "normal" car?

If it's *not* normal, how about a nut splitter and then chase the
threads with a rethreading die?

Can someone clue me in as to what is so difficult about the lower shock
bolt on an Intrepid? I'm a little amazed that a mechanic would actually
say that he couldn't do a job because he couldn't get a bolt loose.
(well, unless it threaded into a blind hole in cast iron... those *can*
be problematic.)

nate

Old June 8th 05, 03:56 AM
ed

I've had better luck with PB Blaster than Kroil.
Pb you can at least get easily. Kroil is hard to find.
(works good getting paint off your hands too but I wouldnt recommend it)

news:1118194571.2fc80172966c2f9fee08956ffb663f90@t eranews...

Old June 8th 05, 10:39 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"JHI" > wrote in message
> I brought my 1997 Dodge Intrepid into the shop for new rear struts. They
> could not do the job because they could not remove the lower bolts (the

one
> that run parallel to the ground). He told me that he broke 2 stainless
> sockets.

Stainless steel is not particularly strong for this kind of work. Hardened
steel sockets particularly ones designed for air impact guns and made from
chrome
molybdenum steel are what you use.

Ted

Old June 8th 05, 03:19 PM
Mike Romain

I would recommend you find a garage that a) uses real tools and b) isn't
totally full of ****.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old June 9th 05, 12:01 AM